1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House Investigation thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

well, this sums it up:

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. NewRoxFan

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

7. Nook

Nook Member

I honestly have no idea. I suppose that the democrats could be hoping that there is more examples that would tie into the collusion claim or possibly a way to tie in one of the Trump associates.

At this point, the democrats need to decide if they are going to impeach......... everything else on both sides is complete political noise.

Mueller testifying should be sufficient for the purposes of the democrats, but they will continue to push for more because it hurts the President. I do not feel sorry for the President, as he is 100% at fault for the collusion evidence against him. Still, it isn't good for the country.

We have Nadler taking the opposite position taken by him in the past. We have Graham also taking a completely different position. We had the Republicans not concerned about protected information 6 months to a year ago and Democrats wanting to protect national defense. Now the two sides have completely flipped.

We have a Pelosi saying that impeachment isn't on the table, not it seems like it it.

The only thing I will quibble with you about is that the Mueller Report really isn't about the conclusion, because Mueller doesn't really reach conclusions, as he said it was not his job.... it is about information. Having said that, what valuable information will be learned? I really do not know.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, and 20 years ago Lindsey Graham argued as a congress that a President's failure to comply with a subpoena is grounds for impeachment.

For every "X" there is a "Y" and a vast majority of them on both sides of the aisle are horrible hypocrites.

9. NewRoxFan

10. Nook

Nook Member

It was the right call.

Eric Holder should have gone to prison.

His claims that he was not aware of F&F are not believable. Neither is his claim that he did not approve it.

That was also the first and only time President Obama invoked his executive right to not release the documents at the request of Eric Holder.

There is no evidence that Obama knew or approved of the operation, but he should have not gotten involved. It was the closest to a scandal that he had.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Everyone already knows that the Trump's and everyone closely involved with the administration are scumbag liars. That really isn't the issue at this point.

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

So... if we just shrug our shoulders and say, "well of course trump, his family and admin are scumbag liars", especially about illegal actions like this, then Mueller was 100%, they can't be charged with any crime, since all they do is lie.

13. Nook

Nook Member

You charge them when there is a crime to charge them with.

Simply pointing out that they liars and scumbags isn't going to change anything.

Either begin impeachment proceedings or do not.

There is a compelling case that President Trump is guilty of obstruction of justice..... so **** or get off the can.

The democrats have put almost all of their attention and time into Donald Trump. They need to be concentrating on ways to get the support of poor white people and voters in areas that can help them win the election in 2020. They are not doing that.......... do you honestly think some high school level blue collar voter in Ohio or Wisconsin or Pennsylvania gives a damn about any of this by this point? Do you think they give a damn that democratic candidates are discussing student loan forgiveness?

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I wonder if the Democrats will actually bring the contempt charge that the House Judiciary Committee passed on a straight party line to the floor of the House? Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy predicts they will not do it.

Kevin McCarthy: Nadler wants to impeach Trump, but he 'can't even handle the gavel'

Despite his concerns, McCarthy expressed doubt that the House would vote on the contempt charge. "I don't think anything happens, I think it's more a messaging bill," he said. "It would be an embarrassment if the Democrat majority brings this to the floor."

{More at the link}​

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

AG Barr jokes about the contempt vote by the House Judiciary Committee yesterday:

Barr jokes about Democrats' contempt vote

Attorney General William Barr joked about a contempt of Congress vote on Thursday. During a farewell ceremony for his Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, Barr poked fun at House Democrats.

“You like records,” Barr said at the Justice Department event, referring to Rosenstein. “This must be a record for an attorney general being proposed for contempt within a hundred days of taking office.”​

16. NewRoxFan

Working backward through your response... I think "democrats" can do more than one thing at a time. The candidates (presidential, congressional) can make their case to middle America regardless of whether the House is investigating or whether the state attorneys are investigating.

Also, I have been super clear on my position on impeachment... an extremely serious procedure that will have enormous impact on the country. I am not sure we are at there. That doesn't mean the investigation stops. It also doesn't mean that people stop speaking out about trump and his administration. Both sides should want a clear resolution.

Last, I think it is always important to speak out against a president and administration that lies constantly to the American people. And we should always speak out when the president breaks norms of behavior, damages American institutions and even breaks the law. We should never simply accept it. No American should accept it.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I'm sure they can, but have they? Which of the candidates positions will help the democrats in flyover states?

There isn't going to be a clear resolution. It will never happen.

The democrats need to either ask for Mueller to testify and impeach or they need to move along. A lot of people are getting sick of hearing about what an *******, liar scumbag Trump is. Everyone knows that he is and no one is going to suddenly change their opinion. The longer that this drags out, and the economy is solid, the more likely Trump is to be re-elected.

The Democrats have spoken out and pointed out that Trump is a liar. Everyone knows that he is liar and he is likely a sociopath. Short of tying Trump to murder or treason, nothing will surprise the American people.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

I think there are a number of candidates that can appeal to "flyover" states... Klobuchar, Buttigieg, even O'Rourke. I am not certain Biden can't appeal to middle America. And even other candidates. And... its still early.

Agreed... I think at the very least Mueller should testify. After all, its now clear that barr didn't give a clear and accurate accounting... at the very least Mueller should provide clarification.

Even though "everyone knows trump is a liar (and honestly, I don't think everyone accepts this truth), I still think its important to call out trump for his constant lying. For example... the last two days trump has outright lied about the amount of money that went to Puerto Rico. Out right lied. Don't let him or any other member of the government lie to the American people.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure what the charge would be to put him in prison. You've lost me. Maybe perjury? The operation itself was a boondoggle, but that's it. As for the proceeding, I don't know what ever came of the contempt charge. Nothing happened to Holder, I don't think. Did Congress get the documents they wanted?

Don't really agree. Democratic presidential candidates need to concentrate on getting the support of poor white people. The Democrats in the House are doing what they should be doing in investigating Trump. The responsibilities of their current, actual positions should take priority over advancing their party in 2020. If doing their jobs turns off voters, too bad for them.