1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOU - TOR - POR

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TManiAC, Jun 4, 2008.

1. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

HOUSTON TRADES:

Aaron Brooks, Bobby Jackson, Steve Novak & #25
    for
    Sergio Rodriguez, Joel Przybilla, Martell Webster & #13

PG: Rafer Alston | Steve Francis | Sergio Rodriguez
    SG: Tracy McGrady | Martell Webster | Luther Head
    SF: Shane Battier | Joel Alexander (#13) | Mike Harris
    PF: Luis Scola | Carl Landry | Chuck Hayes
    CN: Yao Ming | Joel Przybilla | Loren Woods

MLE on a point guard depending on Steve Francis' shape when he enters the season. FAs include: Sam Cassell, Jason Williams, Chris Duhon, Earl Boykins, Tyronn Lue, Eddie House, Delonte West, Anthony Carter, Juan Dixon, Lindsey Hunter, Flip Murray, Smush Parker, Sebastian Telfair, Jannero Pargo, Darrell Armstrong, Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, Kevin Ollie, Damon Stoudamire, Fred Jones, etc.

I really like Joe Alexander at #13. [Video][Draft Profile]

PORTLAND TRADES:

Joel Przybilla, Channing Frye, Martell Webster, Sergio Rodriguez & #13
    for
    TJ Ford, Bobby Jackson, Steve Novak & #25

PG: TJ Ford | Steve Blake | Jarrett Jack
    SG: Brandon Roy | Bobby Jackson | Rudy Fernandez
    SF: Travis Outlaw | James Jones | Darius Miles
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge | Josh McRoberts | Steve Novak
    CN: Greg Oden | Raef LaFrentz

Lots of solid rotational SFs or Cs available at #25 in the draft.

TORONTO TRADES:

TJ Ford
    for
    Aaron Brooks & Channing Frye

PG: Jose Calderon | Carlos Deflino | Aaron Brooks
    SG: Anthony Parker | Jason Kapono
    SF: Jamario Moon | Joey Graham | Jorge Garbajosa
    PF: Chris Bosh | Channing Frye
    CN: Andrea Bargnani | Rasho Nesterovic

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would love for the Rockets to get Joe Alexander but what you are offering would not get it. I just don't see why portland would do that deal.

3. Tornadoofsoul6

4. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Joe Alexander is essentially a more athletic Shane Battier. He would be the perfect understudy and a nice jolt off the bench.

Sergio Rodriguez has been described as the Spanish version of Jason Williams: [Video1][Video 2][Draft Profile]
    Were not losing much in the way of quickness or passing ability when swapping out Aaron Brooks for Sergio Rodriguez.

Martell Webster is the large athletic wing we need to come in and score in stretches when TMac is sitting on the bench. [Video] [Draft Profile]

Im hoping Steve Francis can spell Bobby Jackson when healthy, so we shouldnt be losing much by leveraging BoJax's expiring contract to move up in the draft.

Im also hoping that Joel Przybilla will be similar in utility as was Mutombo.

5. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

TJ Ford is enough reason. Their team is sorely in need of an experienced point guard to take pressure off of Brandon Roy and fully exploit their speed.

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Except Rodriguez can't get 10 minutes a game ahead of Steve Blake or Jarrett Jack. His bb iq won't cut it for the Rockets. I still believe Webster has some potential, but he's too small for a 3 and hasn't shown the shooting ability for the 2. I don't think he can come off the bench and score in stretches, definitely not as well as BJax. His defense is also not great (but improving- he has youth on his side). I think that we can do better.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

There's a sticky that clearly says all random trades belong in there.

8. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

I think as a third option at PG, Rodriguez is a solid investment for the future. No one is asking that he jump in and start right away. His vision isn't something that can be taught, Rodriguez is a natural ball-handler and has lots of creativity.. he just needs a year or two in the NBA to get used to the tempo and flow of the game.

Webster has definitely shown that he has shooting ability, his 39% 3FG is proof. As for any concern about losing BoJax, we can use a small portion of the MLE to sign a player like Sam Cassell, Earl Boykins, Eddie House or Flip Murray to fit the function. The point is that BoJax is $6+ Mill expiring and were better off using it as trade fodder rather than sitting content with him as our 6th option if we can easily substitute.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I would hope "Bobby Jackson's expiring contract" fetched more than #13, Sergio Rodriguez and another bad contract. FYI, once you pass the top 10 picks the chances of a prospect turning into a starter drop precipitously. Which isn't to say Morey can't do it, but still, we should tone down our expectations for how good a player will be if we trade up to pick in the 10's-20's. I'm willing to bet that there's no one this year being drafted from 10-20 that is going to start on a playoff team in their first year. Or maybe we can get Westbrook :).

10. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

no one said anything about starting either. Joe Alexander would be a super sub and a great understudy to Shane Battier. I think his personality and style would fit in perfectly with the Rockets.

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

TJ Ford
    for
    Aaron Brooks & Channing Frye

This trade fails big time.

Who the hell is Aaron Brooks??? Okay I know who he is :D , but damn people he's got a long way to go before he's going to be worth anywhere close to TJ Ford....

Channing Frye........LOL....

12. RoxChamps

RoxChamps Member

Yao would love Joe Alexander too. The kid was born and grew up in China and apparently speaks Mandarin fluently.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you just don't get it! this trade needed special attention! it had us trading garbage, getting a solid player, and moving up in the draft...clearly something unique and not random!

14. carib

carib Member

I agree that Portland might not want a deal like this. TJ Ford is a good point guard but he is injury prone. Trading for Brooks who has not developed is also another gamble. I think we have give up more than guys who don't get a lot of playing time on the Rockets team to get Webster and the #13 pick.

15. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

rockets spank both teams in this deal.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

You just don't get it! Noone wants your bench players so they can give you their starters! (unless you're memphis grizzlies).(funny how they're so stupid yet they stole rudy gay from us, realgm described as memphis robbing rudy gay from houston)(its incredible how stupid their gm is yet they managed that)

17. carib

carib Member

They just had better insight into what Gay was going to become better than the Rockets.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

:confused:

They only think we got 'robbed' because offensive stats are more glorious than defensive.
    It's been said in many a thread
    You can argue this till the sun goes down, but the FACT remains that at the end of 2006, they won 49 games, we won 34
    After that trade, we've won 107 games to their 44.

And don't give me 'the roster got blown up' stuff...

the 05-06 Grizzlies key players: Battier, Cardinal, Gasol, Miller, Stoudamire, Jackson, Jones
    the 06-07 Grizzlies key players: Gay, Cardinal, Gasol, Miller, Stoudamire, Jones.

And despite adding ANOTHER lottery pick to play beside Gay, their W total didn't increase at all - so they blew up the team and got rid of Gasol, and started playing the young guys.

Moral to the story?
    Defense wins games.
    Battier is not just a good solo defender, he plays great team D and is a defensive leader out there.

You can say what you want about stats, but in 2 seasons since trading Battier, they've won 5 less games than they did in one season with him
    And we've gone from a 34 win club to a constant 50 win club.

RealGM got it wrong
    Houtson robbed Memphis on that trade.

And the W column tells the real story.

19. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe....just maybe....those win totals are a little slanted? We won 34 games the year Yao and T-Mac both went out for most of the year with injuries. When Yao and T-Mac play a majority of games, this is easily a 50 win squad, regardless of supporting cast. You make it sound like Battier alone made this team a 50 win squad. Those numbers are incredibly skewed.