1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hot steel clip in my popcorn

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Jun 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I took my gf to see a movie, and of course, I ordered a bucket of popcorn and a soda, can't break tradition. Lights go out and we're munching down on the popcorn and I felt a burn on my lip. I reached up and took out a 2 inch safety pin shaped spring from my mouth. I took a picture of it on the popcorn with the ticket stub, just to have proof of what was in my popcorn. As I went out to find a manager, i found that they were looking for me to get the popcorn back. They took a report and submitted it to their corporate office. Manager tried to get me to sign statement before he wrote down what had happened. I didn't sign until he wrote my statement in the space for the statement. Then I signed and got a copy. Manager told me that corporate office would contact me within a week.

Any ideas what should I expect from that contact? I did have a small burn, but nothing serious.

I felt bad for the kid that sold me the popcorn. Nice kid, and looked terrified. I told manager it wasn't kids fault the the popcorn machine dropped the spring in the popcorn.

[​IMG]

#1 Falcons Talon, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Expect millions of dollars, free movies and popcorn for life.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hopefully you'll get a lifetime supply of tickets to the movies, breh.

I'm sure somebody will get fired over this. Someone has to go. And that kid is the easiest to let go, but he'll find another job just as good.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Don't expect much. They will want a statement over the phone from you most likely and attempt to get a written release from you to ensure you do not sue. If you only have a small burn that heals, it isn't worth much. What are your real loses? You can probably get $500-$1000 if you press the issue. If you want to piss lawyers off like me, go to the doctor and complain of numbness in your lip and claim nerve damage with on going treatment... That will elicit a larger offer but they will want to see your medical records.

Personally if I were you I would just level with them and say it burned your lip, luckily you didn't eat it... The burn was there a few days, ruined the night with your girlfriend and for $500 you will sign a release and everyone can get on with their lives.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't try the popcorn trick with your gf.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I disagree with Nook on this. If you really want to press the issue you can get much more than $1000. It really depends on your conscience. As he pointed out, if you plan to seek legal action you need to go to a doctor. Personally I wouldn't think of such a suit as ethical and don't like suits where no one has actually been hurt... However the potential for a more serious injury here and the movie theater would likely countersue the popcorn machine manufacturer. I think there's a potential for a serious lawsuit and if you intend to pursue one I'd refrain from posting details online before you speak with an attorney.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

8. Buck Turgidson

Your face is the case.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

So was Poltergeist any good tho?

10. Falcons Talon

Honestly, I'm not looking to make a big deal out of this, but I will admit I'm curious as to what they will offer.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't say he was limited to $1000 if he pressed the issue.... If he has medical care and complains of numbness in his lip it can be worth more. Unless he has a legitimate and verifiable long term injury, he isn't going to get much more than nuisance value.

He has to find a doctor to agree he has nerve damage.... He has to find an attorney willing to take the case.... He has to be willing to go to trial and convince a metal clip in his popcorn that touched his lip means he is entitled to compensation and then give 40% to his attorney & pay all the associated costs out of the remaining 60%...... if he isn't really legitimately hurt he doesn't want to go to trial.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Basically.

13. Nook

Nook Member

They may not offer you anything. They may try to get you to give a statement over the phone and admit you are not injured.

14. Falcons Talon

Will it did burn and I have some discomfort and discoloration. I'll just be honest and see what happens.

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't think your interpretation is unreasonable. I don't think his injury has to be particularly serious. Doesn't seem like he had any injury. I agree that he doesn't want to go to trial with the case but it's not a clearly illegitimate suit. I imagine if he threatened legal action with a competent attorney he'd get a surprising settlement. It would be very easy to show the company was negligent if you can prove the spring or clip is a part of the popcorn machine. It looks like it is used to keep the metal kernel bucket in place. I don't think the suit would be ethical but I guess you might as well get a bunch of free movies out of this.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Demand nothing less than free popcorn (and butter juice) for life.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

what if a poltergeist did it?

at least you didnt crack a tooth or anything. could have been much worse.

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Seriously, how much popcorn do you eat at once to not feel that big ass safety pin in your hands before shoveling it in your mouth?

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Not to mention not feeling the burn on your fingers/hand

20. AkeemTheDreem86

If I had a nickel for every time I fell for the ole munch and burn, I'd be able to afford the topical cream I so desperately need...