1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hosts of 'The View' walk out during Bill O'Reilly interview

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by s land balla, Oct 15, 2010.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=showbiz/2010/10/14/behar.oreilly.walkout.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=showbiz/2010/10/14/behar.oreilly.walkout.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

LINK

“The View” has turned into quite the drama fest over the years, and Thursday’s show was no different.

The fuss this time surrounded Fox News personality Bill O'Reilly, who appeared on “The View” to talk about politics and his new book "Pinheads and Patriots.”

Before the guest segment was over, O'Reilly himself was called a pinhead by one of the hosts.

His appearance started out reasonably enough, discussing the upcoming elections. O'Reilly didn't make predictions, but called the vote a referendum on President Obama. A bit later he brought up the proposed Islamic center in New York, which is set to be built close to ground zero.

O’Reilly referred it as a mosque and said it's inappropriate to build it there. He then added that the President's stance on the developer's right to build it and his decision not to comment on the wisdom of building it is part of the reason for what he calls a gulf between Obama and the American people.

Whoopi Goldberg asked why it would be inappropriate to build the center near ground zero, to which O'Reilly responded, "Muslims killed us on 9/11." Whoopi then lost it, and I don't know exactly what she said, because the sound dropped out a couple of times. I think it’s a safe bet that ABC's producers or censors thought what she said wasn't appropriate for a morning talk show.

Joy Behar called O’Reilly’s assertion BS and said she didn't want to sit there anymore, and then she and Whoopi walked off the set.
    After Behar and Goldberg made their exit, Barbara Walters disagreed with their actions, saying they should be able to discuss things without walking away, but added that O'Reilly can't demean a whole religion based on the actions of extremists.

First he said he wasn't demeaning anyone, but then apologized "if anybody felt I was demeaning Muslims,” and Joy and Whoopi came back after that. At the commercial break, Barbara said they'd come back and discuss his book "Pinheads and Patriots" adding that it was tough to see which term was applicable to O’Reilly.

Later, Sherri Shepherd said O"Reilly was being a pinhead” because she believes he knew what he was saying when he commented that "Muslims killed us," without noting the attackers were extremists.

What do you think? Did the ladies overreact, or was Bill O'Reilly wrong in not talking about Muslim extremists?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Watched it. The women were stupid. What he said was accurate. Muslims were the perpetrators. He wasn't attacking the faith, he was explaining something. Why does he need to add the "extremists" part of it?

It's also laughable to me that Joy Behar of all people gets all bent out of shape that he may or may not have offended members of the Muslim religion when she herself viciously attacks members of Christianity constantly.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm no O'Reilly fan, and what he said was an oversimplification of the matter, but Whoopster and company look like even bigger jackasses for not being able to handle themselves professionally. They've had him on the show before, what the hell were they expecting? The whole point is to have a shouting match.

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

As a Muslim, I agree with you 100%, but the fact that he appears to use this as a reason for not allowing a Muslim community center to be built in lower Manhattan is quite ignorant.

5. justtxyank

It's actually normally pretty cordial between them, and he often talks fondly of everyone on the show except Beyhar. I agree though, he oversimplified, but it was a daytime talk show and what he was talking about was a smaller portion of his larger (incorrect imo) point regarding why voters aren't supporting Obama in the polls.

The walk out was just ridiculous. Joy Beyhar is a hypocritical windbag, and for her to feign such outrage on behalf of Islam is a joke.

6. justtxyank

To be clear, he's not saying it shouldn't be allowed, he thinks the people building the community center should voluntarily move it to another location. I've gone back and forth on what I think of the issue myself personally. I don't think either position is ignorant to be honest, though I now have moved to the "this should be a big deal, build it wherever you want" camp.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

this.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't think it's ignorant. O'Reilly, like many of his fox news cohorts, comes across to me as a smart guy who simply know how to phrase things so that it's not technically wrong, but horribly misleading. It's like saying Christians should be villified because they commit by far the most crimes in this country.

Quite frankly, if the ladies on the view aren't good enough to debate with O'Reilly without looking like idiots, then they shouldn't have him on. As long as you think about it, his assertions are easy to rebutt.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Q: What do you call it when 2 hosts of the View walk off the set?
    A: A good start.

:cool:

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with the community center but I do think they should find a new location for the simple fact that it's close to the site. It's only asking for trouble.

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

even babawawa said they were unprofessional.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Choose your MadMax reply:

1. wake me up before you go, go.

2. i like turtles

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it's only asking for trouble from people who believe Islam is responsible for the attacks of 9/11. People's misinformation about the attacks shouldn't dictate where the center is built.

The center is the is the exact kind of thing the Wahhabist sect that spawned the terrorists is against. Having the center as close to the site the terrorists attacked is a direct insult and slap in the face to Al-Qaeda. Because some people don't understand who and what the philosophy behind the terrorists who attacked us, isn't a reason to not build the center there.

The terrorists didn't attack us on 9/11 because they were Muslim. They did it because they were terrorists. The brand of Islam they claim to follow has nothing to do with the community center.

Back on topic, I think Bill O is a joke, and a blowhard. But I probably can't stand Whoopi even more than I can't stand Bill O. I'm not Behar fan either, but she doesn't annoy me in general as much as the other two. In this case Bill was an ass like he always is, and Whoopi and Behar were unprofessional.

14. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

My choice:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Frankly I can't decide which is more annoying. The View or O'Reilly.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The View is more annoying.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Choose your ima_drummer2k reply:

1. and we all know how painful that can be...

2. Then I don't need a jacket!

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Christians killed the Jews in Germany.

19. justtxyank

Thanks Arthur for $1000 Alex!

20. Granville

Granville Member

It's pretty stupid to walk off your own show.