1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horry's shot (and his 3 pt shooting in this year's playoffs)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JBIIRockets, May 14, 2003.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm predicting the Spurs will win Game 6 in LA.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

No, but I trade Mo and a #2 for Horry and Medvedenko. Pretty fair trade IMO. You have to realize Horry really is in the end stage of his career (less than 40% FG each of the last 3 years) and really should be a back-up. Because the Lakers don't really need rebounding out of the 4 spot with Shaq and a big 2 (Kobe) Mo would be a good player for them. The Lakers would get a more efficient off the ball scoring 4 (Mo has been a quality 47% shooter playing for bad teams--what do you think he would do for them) and we clear cap space after next year.

#22 Desert Scar, May 14, 2003
    Last edited: May 14, 2003
  3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The Spurs better play well in game 6 and hopefully take it or I smell and el foldo in game 7 when the pressure turns up. If Peja, Christie, and Hedo all turned into alligator arms when throwing up their bricks in game 7 what do you expect Parker, Manu, Jackson and Bowen to do?

I'll say this, the Spur I think with best chance to knock down a key under-the-immense-pressure-of-a-game-7 three pointer is Manu. I think he mentally is the least flappable of the bunch.

4. x_trepidation_x

You have to remember the Kings are a very different team then Spurs. The Spurs have a true legit super star in Duncan, who in my opinion is the second most dominating player in the NBA behind Shaq. The Spurs also have David Robinson, if given the chance by the refs, can guard Shaq 1 on 1. These two factors are HUGE.

That leaves Kobe against Bowen. Bowen has shown he is the 4th best defender on Kobe behind (KG, McGrady, Doug Christie). The only player they really have to contain behind those two is Fisher. If you ask me, you have to work Fisher. He is the Fakers "X" factor.

If I was coaching the team, I would place speedy Claxton, for long stretches, on Fisher and place full court pressure on Fisher.

Fisher isn't going to turn the ball over easily but it will tire him out and keep him from generating his offense. This is especially important when Mark Madson, who can't shot, is in the game because this means there is only 3 potential scoring threats instead of 5.

The Lakers will make the adjustment by having Kobe bring up the ball. This is exactly what you want. When Kobe brings up the ball it does 2 things:

1) <B>The Fakers offense isn't as fluid</b>, because you have now taken Fisher out of the game. Fisher might as well not be playing, because he is the type of player who needs touches in order to be effective unlike Horry who seems to be able to drift for minutes at a time and then hit a clutch shot.

2) <B>Tires out Kobe.</B> Kobe plays almost the entire game but if you ever watch he usually drifts for 3 quarters and then explodes in the fourth quarter. If you make Kobe play all 4 quarters he will not be as dominating in crunch time in the fourth. If you think about it, having to bring the ball up the court and then be defended by Bowen isn't an easy task for 4 quarter. This means Kobe has to do everything except for low post scoring.

Conclusion: Fakers will most likely win the 6th game considering all the Spur's frontcourt players will be in foul trouble at half time. :rolleyes: However, the 7th game will be similar to 2002 (7th game in the Western Conference Finals) where Kings were given a chance to beat the Fakers but failed to down the stretch, even though many feel Kings were cheated out of the series in game 6. It's the Spurs series to win. They hold all almost all the cards. 1) Home court advantage 2) The best frontcourt 3) The more balanced team 4) The deeper team.

The only card that the Spurs don't have, which is the most important card, is how the Refs will call the game. Will the refs allow Shaq to bully anyone he wants out of the way? Will the refs call phantom fouls? Who will get more free throws? Don't ever underestimate the power of the whistle. The boys in black and white will ultimately decided who will and who will not win the final game.

Lets see how it plays out.

5. Asian Sensation

Thank you D.A. I mean X back to you Bill, Ted, and Tom.

6. Asian Sensation

Brad I mean.. Daym wheres edit.

7. Steve_Francis_rules

You're forgetting the best part, Horry was asked who was the better center, Hakeem or Shaq, and he said Hakeem.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

We saw flashes of what Robert Horry could have been when he was a Rocket. Unfortunately, his best years were indeed in Houston, especially during our 2nd championship run. People were already calling him the next Pippen.

He was supposed to be a career 17 and 10 guy. Instead he turned into a spot up 3 point shooter. Somewhere along the way he lost his aggressiveness. Remember his rookie year when he'd slash through the paint and throw down a monster dunk? He used to come flying in from the weakside to swat a shot into the stands.

Nowadays he does nothing but stand around on offense, swing the ball around the perimeter, and play defense using cheap tactics. Did anyone else catch him hit David Robinson in the nuts at the end of game 1 or 2?

Sad story. Robert Horry had the talent to be a great one.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's right. It was amazingly refreshing to see a pro ball player be so honest. I loved it.

10. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

In my opinion this happened during the series with Orlando. He hit a number of big three pointers for us that series, and after that all he wanted to do was stand outside and launch threes. He lost his aggresivness and became the spot up shooter that you were talking about.

That's the reason I wasn't sad to see him leave during the Barkley trade. The one I was sad to see go was Sam...

11. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Hope this isn't EG's fate.

12. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

This tends to happen to forwards in our system and in Phil's too. If you aren't the star you are to stand at the arch and wait for someone to trust you to put up a shot. If you can't hit a three you're on the bench. It works when Shaq and Kobe are in their prime and the 3's are falling, it falls short when the 3's don't. We used to play an offense like that with Hakeem. I don't ever want to see that on this team again unless Yao becomes the great one some of us believe he will. Even then i'd rather go with ball movement and motion to create easy shots than work so hard to get a shot up that we've got no energy left at the other end of the floor.

13. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

He was at the beginning of one teams chances at a dynasty, and he ends with team at the end of theirs.

I don't think he should play after this season. I mean, how many campionships does it take to be happy with one's own self. The only reason he would play another season is if he wanted another, but he really isn't what he used to be.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

so you was against MJ coming out of retirement

Rocket River
    . . .the 1st time