1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horry says Olajuwon better than Robinson, Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by showtang043, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I have a video of Robert Horry to upload, I keep forgetting to.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Duncan is a phenomenal player among the best that have ever played. You could take him in the draft before Dream and no one could really say anything bad about you.

That said, you'd have to be a homer spurs fan to think Duncan is the better player. There's really no logic at all behind that. Dream is better at nearly everything.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

whut?

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He was a Forward-Center just like Tim Duncan.

Tim chose to stick with PF.

Hakeem played with the big boys.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

...and Horry would be correct.

Though I think he is also trying to increase his chances when he interviews for the head coaching job.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this article is old and it's been reposted here several times.

I'm guessing it's the off season and the Rockets are not in the news (besides interviewing everyone under the sun for the coaching job)

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No.... he most certainly was not.

One reason Ralph was moved to PF when Dream was drafted is because Dream did not posses the skills at that point of his career to play away from the basket. He did not pass the ball and he did not really dribble well either (he basically slapped at the ball). Dream was always a center, always played the center position and did not even develop the skills to play away from the basket until later in his career. Through out almost all of his career there was a clearly defined power forward playing next to Dream.

#47 crash5179, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

How would you describe a center vs a PF??...You all are arguing about Hakeem was a PF who played center?..That means he's a damn center!! If Tim Duncan did move to PF voluntarily(which I doubt)to prolong his career ,who cares..He still has to be great to do what he's done...To me, that makes it even more impressive....I dont understand the friction about the subject..

9. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

This is a horrible matchup for Duncan because they both had the same strengths, they were both long, fundamentally sound, two-way dominant players.

Except that Hakeem was literally better at everything.

At least when you compare other centers like Shaq to Hakeem they have different strengths so you can debate some stuff but not here.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

So does weslinder

11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

facebook is blocked at work, cannot wait to add that to my page and tag all the spurs and laker fans i am friends with.

12. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

More interesting to me is whether Duncan > Robinson in Spurs' fans' opinions. Robinson faced better competition than Duncan did yet the Spurs have no championships without him.

13. Crudder

Crudder Member

Why do these threads always turn into Hakeem vs Jordan debates?

Both were one of greatest in their respective positions. It's not like you could ask Jordan to be a center or Hakeem to be a guard. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

14. ACL1

ACL1 Member

So does Acl1

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a good point. Power Forward is kind of a hybrid position where you have people like Duncan who are basically centers and mostly play in the paint but then you have people like Nowitzki who are basically big swing men and people like Kevin Love who roam around. Centers are generally guys who stay in the paint as much as they can and barring the odd Brad Miller tend not to roam very far from there. Dream had some great skills but he was definitely a center given how he could play. While later in his career he could shoot from further out the vast majority of time he kept close to the basket and would rarely play in the high post.

16. van chief

van chief Member

The title of the thread has 3 names in it.

Why would anyone want to rape the sanctity of that by bringing up another players name.

A player which got more than enough love while he played the game, a name we were all inundated with no matter if his team was playing or not. Now if one was a fan of that players team while he played so be it, it must have been a great time during his hay day, but for the rest of us, it got old… very old..

(not taking anything away from the player but enough is enough get of his junk it must be sore by now)

17. van chief

van chief Member

my bad, the title has 4 names in it

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Horry has spoken the truth.

19. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

"*Olajuwan is the only player to win a championship with no other All Stars on his team-SICK"

What do you mean by that? Do you mean all-star player in the year they won the championship? Surely that's not true. Was there even an all-star on the Spurs '03 team other than Duncan ... or that mid 00's Pistons team?

Or do you mean ever an all-star at any point in their career? In which case Hakeem doesn't apply. Thorpe, Drexler and Cassell were all All-stars at some point in their career.

20. Pocket Rockets

I think he meant to say HOF player with no other all star
    -Spurs had parker and manu who had multiple all star appearances
    -pistons didnt even have a HOF player