1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Horror Film) The Babadook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Nov 19, 2014.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Curious to watch this, keep hearing raves....

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Watched it yesterday. It was good, but not amazing.

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I thought it was good too. Not too scary, but very suspenseful at times.

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I give it a meh/10.

Original story with some elements we've seen before. Wasn't as scary as expected, but a solid watch if you're looking for something different in a horror/suspense movie.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Definitely more suspense/mystery than horror. Although, there is a good amount creepy moments.

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

This was a good movie, however it's not as original as many people think. Here are other movies which Babadook was inspired by. Click it only if you've seen this and want to watch similar films.

Repulsion (1965), the Tenant (1976), Images (1972), and to a lesser extent the Black Swan (2010).

7. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

About that ending...

So, is it a happy ending, with the mother celebrating her son's birthday in the yard while he's doing magic tricks for her? Or did she really kill him in the basement and the magic trick ending is just an 'illusion'?

Remember, the kid (and the magician on the DVD) says, "Life is not always as it seems. It can be a wondrous thing. But it can also be very treacherous."

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Could be either. I definitely think it's the former. The feeding of worms is
    her finally accepting her spouse's death

9. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

To add to that...
    What the mother goes through in the last half of the movie is what the son goes through in the first half. Upon second viewing, it was easier for me to compare and contrast their individual freak outs.

I think the depression in the kid festered with his childish imagination. But I believe the depression in the mother festered with her crazy, bottled up hatred for her son. She blames her son for her husband's death. The pain of that coupled with being a single mother of a troubled child made her psyche break. The Babadook was her just as it became her in the new pages added to the book.

We see this depression metaphorically haunt the Son while the Mother is the confused observer, just as we are. Then after the scene at the girls birthday party, we see the kids depression run its course in the car when she had to pull over. This is, I believe, the last straw that breaks the Mother while he coincidently (more or so) recovers. Now HE observes his Mother falling deeper and deeper through the cracks and we go along the ride with her.

The Babadook could also be what's known in psychology as her "Shadow". A part of our mind that we refuse to accept as a part of ourselves. Something so contradictive to how we view ourselves, we ignore it until we become unconscious to the fact. The more it's ignored, the more it builds until it erupts with little to no warning.

Could the Babadook knocking at the door be their "shadow" ready to burst through?

That's how I see her "feeding" the babadook in the basement being her way of not ignoring it but rather "keeping it at bay" so it is no longer a running issue.

I don't know. Awesome movie.

Also fun fact, Baba translates to Father

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Just to add to your last part, remember in the book how it says the more you deny the stronger I get. Pairs pretty well with what you said.

Also, I TOTALLY forgot they mentioned her being an author. Thanks for that dmc89.

11. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

It was interesting but I didn't appreciate when the kid went all Kevin McCallister. Silly.

13. Buck Turgidson

Way, way much less creepy than the Tall Man.

I never saw the movie "Sinister", but I heard ok things. How does this compare?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Fapping makes things less scary.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I didn't like it. I also now have a fear of British children. That kid was *^**ing annoying.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

More like Babadookie.

1 person likes this.