1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Horror Cinema] James McAvoy in M. Night Shyamalan's 'Split'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a true spoiler do not click if you do not want the movie spoiled. Seriously...

I really mean it
    The twist is that it is set in the Unbreakable universe and is a sequel of sorts to the original Unbreakable. It is an origin story for an Unbreakable villain and common thought is it will turn into another movie where Dunn and The Beast go at it.

BigM likes this.
  2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Nothing demonic about this at all. Just a good old fashioned thriller etcetera.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

First Shyamalan film I've paid money to see since I sat through The Happening.......

Totally wasted two excellent performances from McAvoy and Anya Taylor Joy. It's his usual MO, interesting premise that he immediately ruins.

I did think the therapist was funny just because she was so oblivious to the fact that this guy might be a little dangerous.....

I didn't think very much of the ending and the twist had my eyes rolling, really didn't feel organic just kind of shoehorned in.

I was annoyed and slightly disturbed that the whole thing was a child abuse allegory but Shyamalan seemed intent on overly sexualizing the young girls. I know they aren't underage in real life but they are playing very young throughout.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yikes. James McAvoy was amazing to watch, but he could not save the movie from being overwhelmingly silly.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Beware of the Supernatural......

6. what

what Member

There are more than just that twist in it. Night paid homage to the classic horror films that the virgin lives, but in this case night turns it around and says that if you are tormented you are pure and worthy to live, and everybody else must die. There is also the idea that the beast manifested to prove Kevin's claim that he has multiple personalities. Also, the fact that this took place in a zoo was another in Night's famous morality twists.

I also think you can look at this film as Night's stranger things homage to his body of work so far. There are many instances that remind you of earlier films.

7. what

what Member

I think you missed the whole movie if you think that this was all this was. There was a lot more to it than that. The child abuse angle was more for explaining her ability to be able to be calm in this situation, just as the shrink was meant to explain Mcavoy's character.

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I loved the movie, and wish I had watched it earlier. The longer I waited, the hints were harder to avoid. I mean when certain things pop up on your feed after you have searched Split movie...

9. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I know i'm late, but I just saw it. Pretty good overall. I wish the ending wouldn't have been spoiled for me, but if it hadn't I probably wouldn't have gone to see it.

Did anyone else think the shrink was the beast, and the movie was gonna end up being Scientology propaganda?

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No one will take him seriously, but for REAL, McCavoy should be up for an Oscar nomination. What he pulled off did not seem easy.

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I think his portrayal of a university-age professor charles xavier drunkenly hitting on young girls should disqualify him of all and any award nominations.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Silly is a little strong but he certainly carried the movie. Had I not had the movie slightly spoilered ( thanks clutchfans ) then I might have thought it was silly but knowing the connection of the movie then i was prepared

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I was completely caught off guard by the twist.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Add me to the list of those who refused to watch it due to a reticence to fall for Shymalan's crap again.
    I finally agreed to watch this movie last night and it was actually pretty decent. The ending could've been better but compared to the **** Shymalan has pulled off before, this wasn't too bad. It'd just be nice if he could stop giving himself an acting role or any on-screen role in ALL his effing movies.

THIS. Co-sign on that completely. He was excellent in the movie.

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Beside a terrific groundbreaking performance by Mcavoy, the movie was not that great for me. The operating rules of the universe are broken. Shyamalan, himself doesn't understand them. He simply wings it wherever he can.

A movie is a promise asking the audience for suspension of disbelief provided the operating rules of the universe are consistent and well established throughout the movie. Once a movie breaks its own operating rules or fails to elaborate them sufficiently for the audience, the facade is broken.

CinemaSins did a great job explaining this problem and the issues with the personalities.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Didn’t anticipate unbreakable or the zoo. I liked that although it was almost a little too left field. Without the ending, the movie never made me anticipate the beast, seek the ending, nor did it provide suspense. I really was just waiting to see if I was right about the girl being a dog because she didn’t want the chocolate. Turns out I was wrong, although clearly she could have some supernatural power of her own yet to be revealed. Darn it. It was not quite up to unbreakable, which I thought was a new take on hero and villain backstory, but worth a sit through.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope they make a spin off with other guys that have split personalities. I won't mind watching him take his journey down the road.

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I actually just watched this the other day and enjoyed it. Great acting by McAvoy. Had no idea it tied into Unbreakable so I watched that right after and liked it too. Looking forward to the third film "Glass" - they brought everyone back according to IMDB.

The girls getting eaten alive was a bit disturbing and out of left field.