1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hornacek's number retirement

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lived, Nov 20, 2002.

1. lived

lived Member

It's a shame to know that it was a sold out crowd for Jeff's ceremony but not Hakeem's.. shame.. then again, Jeff left with less animosity...

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm guessing w/ Hornacek, everyone respected him because he stayed w/ his team, retired w/ the team, and was loved by the city. With Hakeem, he spent all his life here. And then out of greed and wanting to try something new, left to Toronto and his career just sputtered to the end. Then coming back for his retirement ceremony, I guess Houston didn't really care because he deserted us...

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but you also have to remember that there's nothing to do in utah so that was pretty much the only place to be.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

yeah, not only that, but he was nicknamed "Horny." You really can't get more popular than that.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't like him at all, but he's one of the all time underrated players in history.

6. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

nWo34Life pretty much sums it up with his post.
    :)

7. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I actually liked watching Hornacek play. I sure wish he hadn't played for the Jazz, but he was one of the best shooters ever, and that's rare nowadays. He could really pass and was just one of those players who would beat you when you least expeceted it. It's no coincidence that the Jazz enjoyed their best years when Jeff was running alongside Stockton and Malone.