1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopsworld] Nets Won't Re-enter Talks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coachbadlee, Jan 29, 2011.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Glimmer of hope.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18613

Houston still in it?

2. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Good for Mr. Prokhorov.

On one hand I detest a league run by the players and their millions of dollars. On the other, I don't want the owners/league and their millions of dollars to screw the players.

As in life, some choices are not easy to make.

But for this particular instance, and with my continued dislike for anything Melo, I'm siding with Mr. Prokhorov.

Screw Melo. He still has a history that I remember...

(disclaimer: if he lands in Houston, I will still support our Rockets. I'm always willing to give someone a second chance, or third or fouth, but he has to deserve it...and NOT by ppg)

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They "moved on" and got beat by 32 points last night in Indy.

I can still see the Nets talking to the Nuggets at the last minute and concluding a trade in short order. With it clear the Nets will walk away, the Nugs would have to agree quickly.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I can see the Nuggets talking to the Nets at the deadline and the Nets giving them an ultimatum. This deal and Melo re-signed or no deal, and giving them 15 minutes to accept it. The Nuggets then go back to Melo and tell him it's either go to the Nets and sign the extension or we are shipping you to Houston without an extension. This is what really needs to happen. Melo needs to decide does he want his extension or does he want to play for the Knicks.

5. MONON

MONON Member

I don't want Melo as a rental. That doesn't do anything for us. More scoring isn't what we need. We need a rim protector. Getting Melo would cost us the assets we need to get that rim protector. Besides people are trying to convince the wrong person. Melo's a mama's boy. People need to convince Mama Lala,that's who's calling the shots here.

However as RocketRaccoon said in his disclaimer; if the Rockets do sign Melo, I would still cheer 100% for the Rockets & Melo! The only saving grace is that I would only have to cheer for Melo for 2 months. That's not so long.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep, that's pretty much the bottom line for Melo. Denver aren't gonna trade him to the Knicks. So he either sign the extension to which ever team he is traded to or walk away from the money and sign with the Knicks in the offseason with a contract nobody knows how it will look in the new CBA.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have a theory, or maybe just a secret wish. Morey is playing along with the Nuggets FO, showing interest of the so-called rental deal. But in reality, it's just a posture to force Melo's camp to sign with the Nets, thereby screwing the Knicks.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I commented before that the Prokhorov announcement was a little TOO rare for owners to do. What owner or franchise PUBLICLY announces "Too expensive, we are DONE with negotiations!"? Its just assumed that talks stall by themselves behind the scenes. If thats the case, Daryl Morey would be having a press conference every 2 weeks about stalled trades.

I'm thinking its a finish-the-comment type of thing where its more like "Too expensive, we are DONE with negotiations [on this particular deal that's set up. But the door isnt totally locked]"

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

If you read that article, it shows that it was Anthony that really killed the deal. A lot of people have blamed the Nuggets for being greedy, but it was Anthony getting cold feet about going to the Nets that caused Prokhorov to pull the plug on negotiations. I hope Anthony doesn't get traded to the Knicks, and I hope he doesn't get his money, but he probably will.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IMO, the only reason Morey would be willing to rent Melo is to get other players as well in the trade. More than likely Nene would be included, so that way if Melo, leaves we still have the center we have been looking for.

11. Raven

Raven Member

We need more Russian owners. The diva crap is getting out of control.

:)

12. worzel gummidge

I think Melo's set on NY after the last quote I read from him.