1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoopshype : howard-asik-combo-will-not-work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Aug 26, 2013.

1. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

Exactly. We could flip Asik now and get at the least a 1st round pick. Many teams need a Center of the caliber of Asik and would give more.

Asik though after cooling down and thinking about it has to realize that playing for a team that may be Championship bound is very desirable and all of a sudden be happy to do whatever needed.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Genius! Shawn Marion is EXACTLY the kind of 35-year-old 6'7" PF we need!

3. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

All of the big men twin towers either went to the finals or won the finals....soooooo ummmmm whats this guys' point. If the Rockets turn into a top 3 defensive team then they will win alot of games and I'm sorry but defense is more important than offense. You're telling me Harden, Lin, Parsons, Jones, Howard, Garcia, Dmo wont be able to score at least 104 pts a game...cmon son

4. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

Wait...what. :eek:

5. conquistador#11

these analysts and knee jerk game day posters always end up eating crow crap. you know nothing, john snow!

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am intrigued by the twin tower approach. I would like to see it at least tried. It is going to be a training camp experiment, maybe extended into the preseason, but if it is not working then, we will not see it in the regular season. I think it is worth a try before the games really count.

7. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Well that settles it, it's 100% sure that the Asik/Howard combo WILL work.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yes I do, but that was LAST year. It was well reported that he was at or near recovery from his back surgery around the end of the season. And his play picked up considerably as well. Now with an entire offseason and over one year removed from the back surgey, he's def at 100% of what he'll be going forward.

A gimpy DH changes everything, and that is def not something that anyone is expecting. He'll be carrying a full load from day one. Barring a new/re-agg injury.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What I think is funny about these naysayer articles is that they think they're disagreeing with the Rockets. Morey says, 'I don't think it'll work, but we'll give it a shot,' and then the editorialists come in and say, 'Na uh! It's never going to work!' Pay attention and have the same conversation everybody else is having; you're agreeing with the Rockets.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It won't work unless Asik or Howard is willing/capable of taking an outside 18 ft shot. Two or three years ago, Howard started using that Tim Duncan off the glass baseline shot. He needs to be able to hit that outside jumper to create enough spacing for the two. I don't see Howard making that shot. I don't see Asik making it either. I think they can play together against certain lineups, for a certain amount of time, but I can't vision them playing together for extended periods, at least not successfully.

I hope they prove me wrong, because it would be beastly if we had two big men to dominate the inside.

11. basketballholic

Yeah, let's pile up the most inefficient shot in basketball.

They won't do that. At the rim, at the rim, at the rim. We need to see how well these two can control the offensive rim, not how many 18 footers they can clang.

At the rim, at the rim, at the rim, at the rim, at the rim, at the rim, at the rim, at the rim, at the rim.

12. tzou88

tzou88 Member

I see what you did there.

13. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

what i wanna see is Asik running the high post w dwight flashing in the low post

given Asiks length, he will be able to make amazing passes as he can simply lob it over people like Horry did or Sampson did for us in past years

all Asik needs to do is to nail that open twenty footer to keep the defense honest and i think we will be an offensive juggernaut. imagine harden, parsons and lin slashing through the lanes for easy layups or wide open #s and Dwight punishing guys deep in the paint one on one :eek:

here are some vids of the passing i am referring to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0oKnAsn2oA

14. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

It wasn't just the back he had issues with THIS year. He injured his shoulder, and reaggravated it a few months ago.

“Hopefully I don’t have to have surgery. But whatever the case may be, I’m going to do whatever I can to get myself right this offseason.” -Dwight Howard, LA Daily News.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

IF that was a realistic expectation than it would be a given that Asik and Howard are the starting big men. Easier said than done, but we'll see soon enough.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Asik/Smith worked well against a lot of teams, and I can't see any scenario where Asik/Smith is superior to Asik/Dwight.

Sure it won't work against the Thunders of the world, but there are also plenty of teams where we can just take jumpers and annihilate them on the boards.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the Rockets are hoping to run more plays through Howard than they did through Smith.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

How can you exploit 2 of the best defensive big men in the league? :confused:

A lot of people here always like to exaggerate, oh noes! We're gonna score like 10 pts a game with both Howard and Asik starting. First of all, who were our PFs last season? Greg Smith, Tjones, Dmo, Ppat and MMorris. Is Dwight freakin' Howard such a step back from these offensive dynamos that our offense will go from top 5 to league last? Last I heard, our PFs took like 5-6 shots and scored under 10 pts a game.

And even if the offense tanked, so what? Wasn't the saying defense wins championships? Don't give me that crap about Dwight Howard suddenly being too slow to guard PFs, name me a PF Dwight Howard can't guard instead of talking about these mythical lightning quick stretch 4s who cross you over, shoot 3's, defend, rebound and score in the post. They don't exist, except maybe for Bosh, LBJ, KG and Dirk. There's a reason stretch 4s don't make a lot of money, once playoffs come and they get matched with a real big man (like say DH), they get eaten alive. Rashard Lewis scored like 20 pts a nigh in the regular season and then scored 9 pts per game on horrible % once the season began.

Finally, there's no one on the market better than Parsons, Garcia, Casspi or Covington on the 4. Even if you could somehow manage to pry LMA, what's the diff between LMA shooting mid range and Parsons/Garcia/Casspi shooting the mid-range? You lose a lot of effectiveness once you become a stretch 4, you're far from rebs and you can't attack the basket.

As far as I can see, there's no reason to do a trade before we can get to see DH and Asik play togehter. Let's see them first before we criticize them.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Boom boom clap