1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hook 'em horns?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by QdoubleA, Nov 17, 2010.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I was just accepted into a UT grad school. As you can tell by my sig I'm a proud UH Cougar and will bleed scarlet red till the end. With that said I have always wanted to be a part of a bigger college experience. UH is a nice sized school but it lacks a lot of the things that you find at UT or A&M, such as a rival.
    The rival for UH would be Rice (I guess) and they suck. At their homecoming this year me and my friends went and sat in their student section screaming our heads off for the cougars and they didn't say so much as a word. If you do that at UH we'll boo you and talk about your mother till you leave.
    With that said am I even really supposed to cheer for the Longhorns since this is a graduate school and not the actual university? Everything they've given us so far is burnt orange with a GO Horns on it. What do any UT alumni or current students think? If I am a Longhorn now, what should I know (like whats the best way to insult an aggie)?

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Were you one of the idiots who blatantly snuck beer in and got caught and confiscated?

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

All you have to know is that UTs football team is the best sports organization in the history of mankind. Better than the Yankees, the Lakers, the Cowboys and way better than any European crap like Manchester United.

1 person likes this.
  4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I went to grad school at UT from '06-'08. Most of my classmates didn't do undergrad there, but got indoctrinated after the first semester on campus. Some became casual fans, while still supporting their original schools like Cornell, UNC, Michigan, UCLA, etc.

Bear in mind, we had just come off our NC year in football, and Kevin Durant was absolutely killing it in '06-'07 so it was easy to adopt the burnt orange. With the abomination of a team we're fielding this year, it may be largely different now. Either way, you're going to love your time in Austin. I still make about 4-5 trips down from from SF every year to party and hang out.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

By all means root for your school, but do so knowing that the University of Texas is the single most powerful force and influence behind the absolute train wreck of haves-and-havenots that is the Texas higher education system. Congrats on making it to the other side, just be wary of the kool-aid.

#5 DonnyMost, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's 9:03.

1 person likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dude...leave ManU out of it.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just be prepared for lame posts like this due to all of the arrogant/ignorant T-Shirt fans that populate the country.

9. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

And OU STILL SUCKS!

1 person likes this.
  10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I had plenty of TA's in undergrad who were graduates from a different university. It seemed pretty natural for them all to become casual fans of the sports teams (i.e. I would see them wearing burnt orange, going to games, etc.) but it was pretty much understood that if the two teams were to come in contact, the undergrad school came first.

As long as you aren't actively rooting AGAINST the 'Horns, I'm sure you will be fine.

Just learn the following:

1) OU sucks.
    2) Greg Davis sucks.
    3) Vince Young, and to a slightly lesser extent Colt Mccoy, are Gods on campus.
    4) A lot of people will assume you are either a) arrogant or b) a t-shirt fan if you are wearing anything burnt orange.

Oh, and if you are looking for a bigger college experience, I am pretty positive you will be thrilled with what you will find at UT. Hook 'em!

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Haha, I made my post before I saw this. Awesome.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

we don't insult aggies, aggies insult themselves.
    they are obsessed with us, we don't give a **** about them. it's sooner's blood that we want. poop on stoops

undergrad or grad student youre a longhorn now, but a lot of us are from houston you won't find it hard to find some cougar fans as well.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Be proud, don't be obnoxious. That's about it.

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Man thanks everyone, I didn't expect so many responses (and all of them dealing with the subject of the thread..is this still clutchfans?) but I have to clarify something, I'm not going to school in Austin, the grad school is in Houston. That's the main reason I was confused as to my longhorn status.

15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

ahhh, is that the md anderson med school? i dunno if it's still the same thing, utsa arent really longhorns, theyre roadrunners. so i guess you're still a longhorn

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

that didn't make sense. they aren't really longhorns, but thats because they have their own mascot, if ur school has a mascot than youre not really a longhorn.

1 person likes this.
  17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

AWESOME!

18. YaosDirtyStache

You dont have to support the schools athletics just because they admitted you. That is a foolish idea.

19. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he mentioned athletics. Just in general "being a Longhorn."

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Like it or not, what is good for your athletics program is good for your school.