1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honestly, guys. We should probably just trade Hakeem already.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oogie boogie, Apr 7, 2016.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Top 5 thread in clutchfans history. Thank you sir.

2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

you missed the ENTIRE point of the thread boss

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Kind of hard to be patient when San Antonio has been contending for nearly 30 years in a row and those pricks in Dallas won a championship just 5 years ago.

Our franchise has never even won 60 games in its existence. Even Dallas has 3.

We've only won 55 or more 5 times in 49 years. Dallas has 8, with 7 of them coming in the past decade and a half.

Were 51% winning percentage in 49 years with only 29 playoff appearances. 7 Conference finals appearances. 4 Championship appearances. 2 titles.

San Antonio 60% in 49 years in NBA/ABA. 44 playoff runs. 14 Conference Finals appearances. 5 titles in 6 tries.

Hell even Dallas who was garbage pre Cuban, has a 51% winning % in 36 seasons. About to make their 21st playoff appearance. 4 conference finals appearances. 1 title in 2 tries.

It's time to face that were a mediocre franchise and soon to be historically rated 3rd team of Texas(weve been 3rd since the 2k era) even though were closing in on being the 3rd largest city. NY(winners), LA(winners), Chicago(winners), Houston?

FOR ONCE..I'd like to be at the top and stay at the top. Even our 2nd title, we had to suffer throughout the season before making an improbable miracle run as a 6th seed. Can we be the #1 team in the West for a nice 5 season run at the very freaking least? So many stars in our history with so little to show for it. If it wasn't for Hakeem, we'd be the most disappointing and underachieving franchise in NBA history.

All of this Rockets mediocrity and underachieving is made much worse knowing our other major sports franchises are equally just as mediocre or worse.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Idk man, it seems to me that he's basically saying "yea, numbers say Harden's more efficient, but Hakeem had to do more for each basket". Which is, well, considered as true to most.

Yes, I do believe something has to be said about basket difficulty, baskets that control pace, and baskets that control opponent runs. But obviously, that is a different conversation than true "efficiency", which is what is being mentioned above.

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

It what universe is Dallas going to win a title, hell, even appear in a conference finals in the near future? Relax, I think we will be ok.

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Great discussion. Excellent OP.

What I wouldn't give to watch prime Dream and prime Beard play together.

That would be pretty ball.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Someone who is more efficient on a basketball court puts out more production in their time on the court relative to someone else in the same position. That is what efficiency comes down to.

I don't even think you can accurately compare Harden to Hakeem because they're two disparate players on the court with regards to their role.

I think you can say Harden is more efficient on offense than Hakeem. Overall though, Hakeem is much more efficient than Harden because of the defensive end.

Like I said though, I have no real opinion on this. I'm just throwing ideas out. My main point was just that I was amused recalling what his comments were after reading that post by Mr. Clutch.

#27 DudeWah, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We can't trade Otis Thorpe. He's probably the second best player on a championship team. I know we're struggling a bit this season, but the team will put it in another gear for the playoffs. If we traded him, who'd play power forward? Chucky Brown? Thorpe can be effective without demanding a lot of touches, provides solid defense, good rebounding, and the ultimate garbage man under the basket. We have a championship team with OT. Why would you break that up?

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

For one thing, all this efficiency and TS% talk is only on OFFENSE, there is also defense. Despite that, if we remain in the realm of OFFENSE, if TS% and efficiency are so important, why don't we just have 5 3pt shooters then? Then there is the talk about inside and outside game, offensive rebound, 2nd chance points. It is a far more complicated matter to compare in that perspective. Just because 3pt gives you higher efficiency doesn't mean the inside game isn't equally as important.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

This is also a little bit of the problem. Of course each season we need to gauge ourselves to the best team and how to get better. How do we become better than the '08 Celtics going into 2009? How do we become better than the '13 Heat going into 2014? How do we become better than the '15 Warriors going into 2016? These are all very valid questions, and if they were easy to answer then every team would be doing it.

Not every team is the Spurs where they have been terrific since the 90s. Not every team is the Lakers where they constantly get these generational talents. You can't throw the Mavericks in that mix though. They lucked out by drafting a all-time talent in Dirk Nowitizki. I guarantee you that the Mavericks aren't a great team if it wasn't for them drafting Dirk. He's one of the greatest and all they have to show for it is 2 finals appearances and one championship.

Everyone knows that in order to win you need talent. You need all-time talent, and yeah the jury is still out on James Harden, but he's the best we have right now. Again, at the moment the Rockets have a clean slate with a draft pick, cap space, and only one or two bad contracts (Beverley/Brewer) with the cap space jumping high.

I get that people want to win now. I get that people want to throw James away or maybe their problem isn't with him and they want to throw Daryl away. Or maybe they don't want either guy and want to completely start over. I think that is just over reacting. Last season around this time the team wasn't a mess. Now? It's a dumpster fire. Things change so quickly. In 2012 the team was a dumpster fire. Right before the start of the season and we land a young all-star. Again, things change so quickly. The knee jerking is bad and needs to stop.

We still have an off-season to see what we do. If we have a bad off-season and then the 16-17 season starts with Houston going like 18 wins and 27 losses by mid January then I will truly believe that Morey needs to go and James should likely follow. But if the off-season goes well. We get a good head coach, sign some nice players and then in the middle of the season we're 29 wins and 18 losses then I think we will be fine.

Look, at the Blazers. They lost Matthews, Aldridge, Batum, and Lopez. You would think they were done for this season, right? It's too soon to call it quits until we actually realize, "this isn't going to work." A lot of people are already in "this isn't going to work" mode, and it's completely knee jerkiness. This season sucks. Let's leave it behind and look ahead.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

Shhhh, you and I both know that any discussion about Harden means that we will look the other way in regards to defense ;)

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

hahaha...Classic Thread

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think the comparison works.

Obviously Harden was MVP caliber last year. Went toe to toe with LeBron, Steph, Kawhi. This year we brought back the same team and he inexplicably gained 30 lbs and didn't play as well.

With Hakeem, injuries and drug problems derailed the twin towers. Then the Rockets struggled to put a good cast and system around him. When they finally put something together they were contenders every year for a long stretch.

And Hakeem never gained 30 lbs or stopped playing defense even through the years he was unhappy. Yes there was the injury thing and trade demands, he wasnt perfect but he always wanted to win