1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honest question for Catholics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

God Gap is a term used when something can't be explained and to come up with some idea that can't exactly be proven complete.
    Christians say God/Jesus created the universe and everything in between.
    Muslims God Gap is Allah.
    Physicist God Gap is quantum mechanics.
    Biologist God Gap is evolution.

I don't view a God Gap as a derogatory term. We should see it as a term of humility and an understanding we dont have the answer to everything, even if we think we do.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

other versions include the deus ex machina and the argument from personal incredulity

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

too many fake Christians running around...I can’t take the hypocrites seriously

claim your a Christain, but hardly practice what is preached...to those people, I say foh

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Being christian doesnt mean youre good, perfect, or better than others. This is how society has twisted the perception of what a christian is.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

tell that to all the Christians who love to act like they’re morally superior

preach all the time about traditional Christian family values, but fully support Trump

go to Church to hear about God’s love and acceptance, then go out into the world and start spewing hate

hypocrites

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what you are describing is called "self-righteousness" and it is not necessarily limited to Christians

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the case of Trump, it is largely related to Christians. But on the larger scale, I agree it isn't only Christians.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sure, they should be told. Im saying dont generalize.

9. Nook

Nook Member

1. The most up to date studies show that 4% of Priests have violated minors between 1950-2000 . In the public school system it is 5-7% in that same time period. So the risk of violation was higher in public school. Studies conducted in other faiths also return a number similar to the 4% found in the Catholic Church. Second, sexual abuse in the Church over the 20 years has been exceedingly low, well below that found in public schools. The good news is that it is lower almost across the board in education.

2-3. Really? What is this, 1960?

4. They are far rarer, but even once is too often.

5. She could have spoken to the family or reported her concern to the authorities. There certainly were options.

I find it odd, as I have been someone very hard on the Catholic Church for their handling of sexual abuse claims and the accused. I was raised by Jesuits for nearly a decade, but I am an atheist. I am not sure why you have a vendetta against the Catholic Church. You certainly are entitled to but it is a bit odd.

JumpMan and Rashmon like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

A GOP state lawmaker in Ohio ― one of several states currently seeing a spike in new coronavirus infections ― urged constituents to “STOP GETTING TESTED” for COVID-19 in a Facebook post on Tuesday.

“Are you tired of living in a dictatorship yet?” asked Nino Vitale, who serves in the state’s House of Representatives. Testing for COVID-19 gave “the government an excuse to claim something is happening that is not happening at the magnitude they say it is happening,” he claimed.

“Have you noticed they never talk about deaths anymore, just cases?” Vitale added. “And they never talk about recoveries. They just keep adding to numbers they have been feeding us from over 3 months ago!”

The lawmaker shared a graphic detailing where in the state it will be mandatory from Wednesday to wear masks to mitigate the spread of the contagion:

Vitale in May said he would not wear a mask ― a measure endorsed and promoted by public health experts worldwide —because the face is the “image and likeness of God.”

Last week, he wrote on Facebook that “the only people I know” in history “that wear masks are those trying to get away with a crime. And this entire mask deal is simply that, a crime against freedom and a crime against humanity.”

just the latest public example of a fake Christian that is full of sh*t...brings God into the issue of mask wearing in order to further his agenda while showing that he doesn’t give a damn about the well-being of others

look at this quote

This is the greatest nation on earth founded on Judeo-Christian Principles. One of those principles is that we are all created in the image and likeness of God. That image is seen the most by our face. I will not wear a mask.

So I am supposed to believe that God would not want people to wear a mask to prevent the spread of a highly contagious disease that has been fatal for over 130k Americans? I can’t stand these fake Christians who use God as a prop to further agendas.

foh and RayRay10 like this.
  11. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Nino must not have been a welder or been in the military...either that or he thinks all welders and military members commit crimes?

Reeko likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't really have a vendetta against the Catholic Church. I just find the entirety of church hypocritical. As I've said before, the Catholic church so an easy target because of its past.

As far as point one, I'd refer you back to my original response, though. In the education realm, I'd venture to guess that a lot of their abuse statistics are from 16 and 17 year old boys sleeping with their teachers. Not that that makes it better, but it's not as predatory as other instances.

I appreciate your response though, for sure, as always.

13. conquistador#11

Both you and Reeko make points that I agree with. Not doing the both sides angle there.. There has to be redemption and forgiveness in order for Christianity to work. However, when a specific sector of politicians hide behind Christianity, they view those things as weakness and ignore the rest of the gospel while maintaining their self righteousness, which ironically the gospel warns about.
    For example, they all took to calling Floyd a thief and a bad individual. But what if told them that the Penitent thief next to heyzeus was indeed a thief with a reputation some would even say a baaad hambre. That thief, Dismas, later became a saint in the Catholic world as he asked HeyZues to remember him.

It's also pretty interesting how Catholicism takes a different form under different interpretations of theology across the globe. The Catholic Church in Spain during the Franco years was cruel and facilitating oppression, while across the globe in Central America, Brazil and Chile The Catholic Church started to move away from the ultra right and began supporting the oppressed, consequently making priests, Archbishops and supporters all marked targets for prison or death.
    The Catholic Church and the IRA is always compelling, fastforward 40 years and the Brits are still throwing fits that the Catholic Chuch backs an IRA party.

If every religion focused on what mattered we'd all be in better shape but more than not, they always manipulate the book.
    As an outsider to the other religions, I like how they do baptisms more than Catholics and how their pastors can all have families.

What's the religion that can take demons out on stage? Those are a little over the top for me.
    [​IMG]

JumpMan likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I agree the Catholic Church is an easy target, as it has been around for nearly 2,000 years and has been involved in the business of religion and politics and is so large and powerful.

15. Space Ghost

To an extend, I agree with you. But being a Christian should also come with humility. I try not to beat up peoples political beliefs, but for the Evangelicals to proudly and blindly support certain politicians speaks volumes of their true nature. The model Christians I come across tend to keep the religious beliefs to themselves unless prompted. They dont use it to score victim points.

malakas likes this.
  16. Outlier

Outlier Member

I agree with you on those people who blindly support people with bad character.

As far as the "model Christian" who keeps to themselves, sure, that would be the model Christian to the world. However, it would go against what being a Christian is about and what they are called to do based off what it says in Scripture (which I hope that's what their belief is based off of, and not just because they want to please everybody). Christians are called to share the message. It would be selfish to keep this message to themselves. Don't misinterpret me, im not saying they should yell it at everyone else. But if you got a christian who just did nothing but good deeds and kept the reason why they are doing those good deeds to themselves, then thats just a good person overall and not necessarily a christian. And I agree, thats what the world would gravitate to (well people who find goodness attractive anyway). But Christians strive to do good because doing so shows they love God, just like you dont do stuff for your wife just because she tells you to.

The only model Christian is Jesus, btw

17. Space Ghost

This is where many disagree on the tenets of faith. Jesus was not a Christian so he certainly did not tell his disciples to go spread the good news about Christianity. Peace, Love and Forgiveness (and the other fruits of the Spirit) do not belong to a doctrine.

Christianity (along with other religions) are nothing more than a brand that encourage others to buy into. I totally detest Osteens brand and most other American brands of Christianity.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

I respect your stance and also detest Olsteen's brand.

Youre certainly firm about your belief, and that's alright. Ill just leave this here:

Matthew 28:16

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
    Matthew 28:16‭-‬20 ESV
    https://bible.com/bible/59/mat.28.16-20.ESV

Obviously Jesus wasnt a christian. That was tongue in cheek.

19. malakas

malakas Member

The question is hypocritical itself.

Are you ashamed to be American?

If not why should Catholics be ashamed?

Every human institution including nations and countries is built on rivers of blood , genocides and unspeakable crimes.

Rashmon, foh, RayRay10 and 1 other person like this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Normal people seek out a partner. Someone has to have something wrong with them otherwise to deviate from this element of human behavior.

Basically .. they're weird bro