1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Homeowner Kills Two Teenagers in His House

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Major

Major Member

Why is a question of "when is use of force justified" irrelevant in a thread about the justified used of force? Sounds like it's just an uncomfortable topic for you to discuss.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There are quite a few people having trouble reading the complaint correctly. He killed the boy by shooting him in the head; then he moved him. Yes, he moved and executed the girl, by his statement. But his statement about the boy reads like he shot him...boy fell down the stair case into the basement where the owner was...so, owner shot him again.

The dude admitted to executing the girl. I don't see the need for anyone here to exaggerate and assume statements about the boy's killing. That killing sounds as close to being justified as it sounds like being murder. We don't know from the complaint, but we do know the man was not withholding his testimony about the girl, so why would he about the boy, too.

3. Nook

Nook Member

If you break into a home, you should expect to die.....

4. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

If he gets life it will be a good day for the world, getting rid of all 3 at once.

5. Major

Major Member

I don't think the article gave enough info on the boy. Here is what we have:

In the complaint, Smith said he was in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs, followed by footsteps that eventually approached the basement stairwell. Smith said he fired when Brady came into view from the waist down.

After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor.

"I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.

The first shot is clearly justified. After that, it becomes a bit more murky. If he's unconscious on the floor and the guy thought "I want him dead" just for hell of it, that's a problem. If he was conscious and potentially still a threat, and he was thinking "I want him dead for my safety", that's a different thing.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread has really taken off. Just a few brief comments. MN law does require notification of a killing in self defense and I think it is prompt notification . MN also doesn't have a death penalty.

7. Nook

Nook Member

No question he should have called the police immediately. However there are defense attorneys out there that would LOVE to take this case because they can make a name for themselves. The brutal honesty of the home owner, coupled with a history of prior burglaries of his home can be used as a launching pad for a defense claim.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

so you approve of him executing the unarmed girl, but also want the world rid of this danger to society that kills people who break into his private residence and threaten his safety? a whole lotta nonsense being spewed in this thread.

i think there's too much sympathy being factored in to the age/gender/societal status of the criminals who broke in to this mans house and compromised his safety, and i don't think it's fair factoring that in whatsoever - any burglar is one in the same.

if these were 2 adult male gangbangers and he executed them and let them rot in his basement for a week, i'm guessing none of you guys would be calling this guy a menace to society.

9. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Guy, you are legitimately off your rocker. We get it, people who break into your house are bad. Doesn't mean you get to execute them if you are not in any danger, sorry.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

tallonvor, texx, and others like them all agree with this type of excessive force.

11. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

I'm saying none of the 3 deserve to live in a peaceable socity.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He'd still deserve to go to jail, even if I would have a different level of sympathy for the victims.

Everyone makes mistakes. Some bigger than others. Most, especially the young, deserve another chance to grow into better people.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

all this is very easy to say when you are on the outside looking in, and not the homeowner whose safety was compromised.

14. Major

Major Member

Not quite the same situation, but sort of similar.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=137875

15. Major

Major Member

His safety wasn't compromised when he put a gun up to an incapacitated person and shot them through the head in an execution. As he admitted, he just wanted to kill them.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

he snapped. nobody can put themselves in his mind or situation.

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

So that's a justified excuse to execute someone? "he snapped".

18. myco

myco Contributing Member

Hallmark of a successful defense strategy and well thought out position.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Just stay off of my lawn...

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You're right. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't have a gun since I don't own one. They would most likely still be alive, and I'd be buying new stuff.