1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Home court advantage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Are any of you also jealous at just about any other elite / great team, just because of their crowd? Just looking at the Warriors crowd, the OKC crowd last night and compare that to the TC. They clearly have a home court advantage, do you think our Rockets have it?

I just honestly never get the feeling opposing players are tense, rattled or nervous in our building whereas I can definitely see our beloved Rockets and other teams play tense when playing in those arenas at times.

This is not because of our loss, just an observation and wonder if others feel the same way. I know our TC gets very full, crowd buzzing, standing and getting into it in the play-offs and I'm not trying to argue fans showing up, which has been discussed to death. Just how you guys feel if we have an advantage as much as other teams.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Rockets fans are loud and great...when the team plays well.

This is Houston. Pessimism is ingrained.

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

It bothers me seeing how many empty seats there are compared to the other top teams in the NBA.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Did you watch or go to any playoff games last season?

And I'd imagine that the crowd will be pumped Friday night as long as the team shows up to play.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Did you read my full statement?

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Yeah a lot of empty seats last night. I wish fans up front would be like those morons at NRG, dressed up in their costumes/face paint slapping the mat up near the goal post. That annoys me BTW, it just seems stupid but whatever, I wish Rocket fans would do something like that, those who are up front.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Admittedly no.

Too much crying going on in the GARM this morning. Apologies for jumping the gun.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Those Texans fans are middle class folks who are $40k in debt because they love football that much. The folks in the lower bowl are upper class and don't really care much for basketball but buy the tickets as incentives

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again... I don't know how often it needs to be told by folks that have attended NBA games in other cities but.... I unfortunately am based out of Dallas, and have attended many Mavs games.... The TC crowd, and the TC experience is very good. Its not as rowdy as an OKC game, or as annoyingly obnoxious as a Spurs game, but its definitely not the bore that a Mavs game, Wizards game, Hawks game, and a Nets game is (or how a NJ Nets game was).

Give me the TC experience all day. Its a perfect balance.

(the whole "why don't fans in the lower bowl show up on time" thing just has alot to do with the oil and gas industry's corporate tickets. They pay good money to Les, and he's happy to accept the guaranteed revenue, but those clients getting free tickets could care less about showing up early for tip off).

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They should try moving home games to 7.30 PM and see if that helps. With Houston traffic and construction everywhere it's very tough for everyone to show up at 7.00PM

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

100% this. Last night the crowd was begging for anything to get them amped up. Beverley came in and made a few nice plays in a row and the crowd was ready to explode, but the team couldn't string together enough good offensive and defensive plays to keep the crowd active.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

They tried that and PEOPLE STARTED LEAVING EARLY.

Midway through the fourth quarter the lower bowl was empty

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

TBH I don't care about the lower ball. They're not die hard Rockets fans. They're not there primarily to watch every minute of the game. They're there to hang out, grab a beer, some food and socialize while maybe catching a few glimpses of the game. These are big money corporates getting free tickets and reserved seats. You can't change them. They come and go as they want.

What's more concerning is the empty seats above the lower bowl which are going at cheaper rates. I expect those to be filled up.

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I blame Les. The lower bowl club section is ridiculously expensive and caters to corporate partnerships.

Unfortunately basketball courts are tiny, so soccer, football, and baseball don't have this problem.

15. eslate22

eslate22 Member

need to go back to 7;30 tipoff... when harden gave his opening season speech the stands were maybe 40% full... do they not know about the traffic from 4-7 in this city?

16. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I was at the game yesterday, and was actually pretty happy with the crowd - aside from people leaving their seats at halftime when they were specifically instructed to stay seated while we honored Moses.

All in all though, on nights like last night, it's hard to get mad at the crowd. There were a few moments when the stadium got really loud, the team just didn't give the crowd much to cheer about.

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

To me it is beyond how the game goes. Arenas for the Warriors, Thunder and others seem to be buzzing regardless. Sure during great plays the crowd erupts but the loud noise fans produce at the Toyota Center during the play-offs is just not there during 90% of the regular season games.

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

houston has some of the worst fans in professional sports

19. beardsanity713

I wouldn't say worse i would just say the most sensitive.. Houston fans overreact very easily...
    Plus the Texans always disappoint
    Stros are just now gaining steam again.
    Rox fans are very defensive bc so many ppl hate the team.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The crowd didn't look that great, but I wasn't there so I can't really say anything.

Not saying this applies to OP, but people who complain about attendance while not going themselves are ridiculous.