1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hollinger: Off-season Winners/Losers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Sep 27, 2006.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

John Hollinger's article "NBA's Off-Season Winners and Losers" appears in the New York Sun on September 21:

http://www.nysun.com/article/40103

You may need a subscription for it ...

I'll post his winners and losers, along with his comments. I respect Hollinger's opinion quite a lot, so it's encouraging that he mentions the Rockets in his Winners list.

Winners

Miwauke:
    Milwaukee made two trades, and I wasn't wild about one of them (dealing Jamaal Magloire to Portland for three mediocrities). However, the Bucks' other deal was such a scandalous rip-off that they still have to rank near the top of the list. They traded oft-injured, scattered-shot point guard T.J.Ford to Toronto for high-scoring forward Charlie Villaneuva, saving cap money while giving the team's talent base a huge shot in the arm.

The Bucks made two other solid moves, signing sharpshooter Lynn Greer from Europe and trading Joe Smith to Denver for the more versatile Ruben Patterson, which should help keep them afloat in the increasingly competitive East.

Houston:
    Houston's draft-day deal for Shane Battier may benefit Memphis in the long term, because Rudy Gay is a potential stud and Stromile Swift is a productive reserve. But in the present? Fuggedaboutit. Battier is one of the league's elite defenders, and his ability to space the floor and play both forward spots makes him a perfect complement to T-Mac and Yao.

A less-discussed but nearly as important move was the theft of Kirk Snyder from the Hornets for a conditional second-round draft pick and cash; the wingman should give a big boost to what was a horrid backcourt last season. Greek guard Vasilis Spanoulis should also fortify the attack, and keep an eye on second-round pick Steve Novak — the dude can shoot the lights out. Houston may not be done either, as the still-unsigned Bonzi Wells has been sniffing around the Toyota Center lately.

Indiana:
    The reason things haven't completely fallen apart in Indy despite all the adversity of the past two seasons is that management has done such a good job of making changes on the fly.

This summer, Indy got Marquis Daniels for the low price of Austin Croshere, signed the vastly underrated Maceo Baston out of Europe for a pittance, and drafted potential-laden forward Shawne Williams. But the big coup was the Pacers' execution of a last-second sign-and-trade with the Hornets when Peja Stojakovic was about to leave, giving them a big cap exception that they parlayed into Al Harrington. They're not done building yet, but they've made remarkable progress.

Chicago:
    Hey, Nets fans: Look who just moved ahead of you in the Eastern hierarchy. Obviously the signing of Ben Wallace made the biggest impact, but that alone doesn't get the Bulls here. I also liked their off-season because they were able to dump Tyson Chandler's contract without giving up anything of importance, and because they were able to swing two trades on draft day that gave them a power forward with limitless potential (Tyrus Thomas) and the big, defensive-minded guard they've been craving (Thabo Sefolosha). As an added plus, scrappy forward Viktor Khryapa was a throw-in to the draftday trade for Thomas and could crack the rotation.

Losers

Detroit:
    You can't blame them for losing Ben Wallace — Chicago made a huge offer, Detroit was reluctant to match it because it didn't want to pay luxury tax a year from now after it re-signs Chauncey Billups, and the rest was history.

What you can blame Detroit for was its lack of a backup plan. The Pistons were so sure Wallace would stay that they cleared cap space ahead of time, trading Darko Milicic and Carlos Arroyo to Orlando in February. In doing so, Joe Dumars ignored the timeless warning about counting chickens and unhatched eggs, and now he's stuck with Nazr Mohammed as his starting center.

Sacramento:
    I understood the part about not wanting Bonzi Wells back. I wouldn't want him back either, especially with his insane contract demands, surly attitude, and a waiting replacement in Kevin Martin.

The part I don't get is why they used his salary slot to sign a mediocrity like John Salmons. Five years at nearly the full midlevel exception for a guy who could barely stay in Philly's rotation? And by doing so the Kings gave up a chance to sign-and-trade Wells and get something more lucrative in return. As an added demerit, I though the firing of Rick Adelman was rash: He still had the players' respect and was winning games.

Philadelphia:
    I can just imagine being Billy King next week. "Hi, Allen … how was your summer?"

When you spend the off-season trying to trade your best player and can't get a deal done, it tends to make the first day of training camp a bit awkward.That's not the Sixers' only quandary, though. Despite having one of the league's worst benches, Philly was forced to sit on its hands over the summer due to luxury tax constraints. The only move was an idiotic five-year deal for erratic guard Willie Green — did I mention he has knee problems and can't shoot? — and the drafting of swingman Rodney Carney. If Carney's a bust, this team has 25-win potential.

#1 durvasa, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nothing we didn't already know but it was nice to hear it from a credible source. thanks for posting.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think this was posted before about a week ago, but not bad anyway.

4. durvasa

Whoops, must have missed it.

5. AggieRocketFan96

I read this today from Sports Illustrated. Surprised to see Marty Burns didn't even mention VSpan, Novak, etc. Only mention of a Rockets addition is Snyder. Typical.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/09/27/southwest.camp/index.html

1. Are T-Mac and Yao back?
    Tracy McGrady (back) and Yao Ming (foot) played together in just 31 games last season. Without their two All-Stars, the Rockets never got off the launching pad. McGrady and Yao are now both reportedly healthy and ready to go, but it remains to be seen whether they can hold up.
    2. Who will play shooting guard?
    With David Wesley having left as a free agent (Cavs), Houston has a hole at the 2 spot. The Rockets are hoping Kirk Snyder, obtained in a trade with the Hornets, can fill the void. He will battle second-year player Luther Head for the spot in training camp.
    3. Is Bob Sura finished?
    Sura, the 6-5 veteran guard, hopes to give it one final go after missing the past 16 months with a string of knee and back injuries. The 33-year-old was a sparkplug with his hustle and versatility before getting hurt, and his return would add greatly to Houston's backcourt depth.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Yep, saw it not long ago right here, in GARM.

One comment: how can acquiring Bonzi Wells be a good thing for the Rockets but re-signing Wells a bad thing for the Kings? :confused:

Sounds like Hollinger put into his mouth something straight out of his own butt.

Anyone figured it out?

#6 wnes, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  7. durvasa

He was demanding a much bigger contract from Sacramento than what the Rockets would sign him up for. Also, your "..." hides an important difference:

"I wouldn't want him [Wells] back either, especially with his insane contract demands, surly attitude, and a waiting replacement in Kevin Martin"

Kevin Martin would be an above-average starting SG for the Kings, and they have Artest for the SF. Where would Bonzi fit in?

It's not like Hollinger is saying Bonzi will be a perfect player in Houston. But for a relatively cheap price (which is what we'd get him for), he's clearly worth it.

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I guess you missed the "surly attitude" part. ;)

If Wells is like a piece of property, then sure why not get it cheap if doable. But he is not lifeless commodity, he is a human being capable of producing something conducive, detrimental, or anything in between, to an NBA franchise. It's a gamble what nobody knows for sure. Maybe it's just me, but I think Hollinger's take on Wells comes off somewhat self-contradictory.

9. durvasa

It's not contradictory. It would only be a contradiction if the sole factor under consideration was his attitude, and his attitude would be an equal problem for both teams. When you consider all the factors, Wells (at the price we'd get him) is a much better acquisition for Houston than he would have been for Sacramento.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Thing is, even if the Rockets secured the Wells deal in the next few days, at best one could say is the organization did it well financially. Basketball-wise, it's still unpredictable. Further, can anybody guarantee, by the end of season, the kind of dilemma faced by the Kings today won't hit the Rockets again? His attitude problem may be more serious than most people realize. You just never know.

11. durvasa

Any signing is a gamble. You never know for certain. But I think once the risk assessment is done (and I'm sure Morey is right on that), then this will turn out to be a smart pickup (i.e. the expected returns are more positive than negative).