1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holic wins, Rockets sign Anthony Bennet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 12, 2019.

1. BreakYoSelfFool

I think this guys personality and draft position is the main reason he hasn't found a team to stick with him. He seems to have a good skill level and some natural talent. But he is a extremely laid-back and nonchalant. As a laid-back guy myself, I know some people see an easy going attitude as lazy, uncaring, or unmotivated. When you have the label as a bust, the last things you want to be thought of are lazy, uncaring, or unmotivated. Shedding the bust label is hard enough, but you are fighting against perception even more than reality. When you are already perceived as a guy who has squandered his natural talent and skill, showing natural talent and skill or improvement in those areas are not going to change perception. Our very own MVP struggles with some of the same issues, but his insane talent level obviously trumps it, also he had quite a bit more hustle coming into the league. Both players play more controlled and disc

Since he still isn't a high energy guy, it is hard to see any major turnaround in his game with the stigma of being one of the biggest busts in draft history surrounding him. Its not his fault he was drafted #1, and if he was drafted lower, teams probably would have had more time and patience developing him. I think he could have easily had a career like Marcus Morris if he had been drafted middle first instead of 1st overall. Also, I think he is better than a lot of guys currently getting paid in the league, probably even Marcus Morris. The guy should really take public speaking lessons, if you watched his interview you know what I mean. He talks lifelessly about repeatedly getting cut. While it is a good thing to not let that bother you, it still would be nice for him to show some type of fight/energy/passion for the game. If he was talking with passion about how the teams would regret cutting him or how he would keep fighting till he got his spot or how he was even better or more motivated as a result, would have helped a lot, but in the end they are only words.

Analytics can help you find severely underrated gems (Battier/PJ Tucker) or allow you to ignore serious character flaws (Terrance Williams/Royce White). I'm very hopeful that he turns out to be one of the underrated gems. I have high hopes for him.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Man, I know Westbrook is the headliner right now but I have a feeling this is a solid pickup. Copy/paste his stats from G league last year and he’s our other starting forward no doubt about it. I mean, even if he shoots 35-40-ish% 3s, gets a handful of boards and puts in some of those 2 handed hammer slammers he might be anyway.

Overdrafted obviously, unceremoniously dumped 4 times by 4 bad teams despite what seems to be mild improvement...I can see why there isn’t much hype. You want Lebron when you draft a forward #1. But hes only 26, obviously working and getting better, he’s got a big, agile body...a pure stroke with range...and authority at the rim. This could easily be our steal for the year. With the gravity of harden and Westbrook, he’ll have open looks and he can bury them. Looks like a solid pick/pop shooter. Catch and shooter.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m really worried about his defense. He just needs to be good enough to not be a glaring hole.

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I want to believe but Rockets bargains such as Beasley #2 and Thabeet #2 have caused me to keep expectations down.

Side note - 2013 was a list of stinkers

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this guy was on the clippers g-league team all year. if the world's most astute bball talent evaluator (jerry west) didn't want him, i have to question wtf we're doing

BaselineFade and ElPigto like this.
  6. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

And stromile as well

7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Looks like a poor man’s version of Terrance Jones.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Terrence Jones wished he had the tools and skill set that Bennett brings with him. With Bennett, the big questions are maturity and heart. I'm hoping that age 26 he's mature enough to utilize those gifts that got him taken #1 over all.

*disclaimer: that was a pretty terrible draft so don't think this means I think he can be a superstar if he has matured. I just believe he can easily be a solid rotation guy if he has matured enough and found the will to succeed.

Greek Freak, Oladipo, Gobert and Steven Adams were really the only good players in that draft.

#268 Williamson, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Keep trying. If we got lucky we can win the championship; if not still contenders. Try again.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

PHOTO OF BENNETT TRAINING THIS OFFSEASON

[​IMG]

Williamson likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well there you are. Clearly, he's working hard. What balance, and look at those legs!

treyk3 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Find a way to keep him longer term, I want to see him succeed or at least have a stretch like Dmo.

And that is from someone who has given up on Tweeners who are 6'8.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Beasley def worked out here.

As well what about Josh Smith.

BMoney and rockets1995 like this.
  14. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Just checking out our new addition. It looks like he fixed his jumper the same way Kawhi fixed his own. First games in CLE, and it looks like he brings the ball over his head. In his latest g league highlights, he seems to consistently keep the ball just at the front of his forehead. His shooting stats have improved as well. It looks like he lost a little weight, and he does show flashes of a serviceable passing mentality. I'm excited to see what this guy can do. His athleticism, size, and more stable mechanics means he can contribute in a number of ways without having to be part of a rebuilder.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

You really are a font of positivity.

Remlap and don grahamleone like this.
  16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

NG means no risk. If he finally pulls his head out of his ass and puts in the work, it could be huge for us during the regular season or at the trade deadline. If not, we can either cut him or use him as a trade filler.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Anthony Bennet:

Played 1,905 mins in his entire nba career. Playing a full season a starter plays 2,952 in a season. Was 23 when he left the league.

Over the last two season he shot 330 3’s at 5.5 per game in the G-League at 43.3%(same rate that Joe Harris, Danny Green and Gallinari shot 1, 2 and 5 in 3% last year)

43.3% would be good for tied for 5th in the league. Tops among bigs.

Nba comp is likely Davis Bertans. Which is impressive since AB has a longer wingspan (7’1 -6’10) weights more (245-225 Thicc) and has a higher vertical. Bertan was 28th in the league in offensive real plus minus right behind 26th Chris Paul, 25th Anthony Davis and 24th Jimmy Butler.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes, Jerry West completely turned around the Memphis Grizzlies as GM. (Jokes.)

In 2003, they drafted Marcus Banks ahead of David West, Boris Diaw, Kendrick Perkins, Leandro Barbosa, Jason Kapono, Carlos Delfino, Josh Howard, Zaza Pachulia, Mo Williams, and Kyle Korver.

In 2005 they drafted Hakim Warrick ahead of Nate Robinson, Jarrett Jack, David Lee, CJ Miles, Monta Ellis, Lou Williams, Brandon Bass, Marcin Gortat.

In 2006 they drafted Kyle Lowry! Good pick at 24. (Notable later picks are PJ Tucker and Paul Millsap).

Jerry 'retired' in April 2007 before Conley was drafted #4.

Nobody is perfect. Scouting is an art.

#278 napalm06, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    topfive, don grahamleone and TRIQSTER like this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

didn't he win GM of the year while w/ MEM? :D

20. Nook

Nook Member

This.

I don’t mind taking a chance on him, but expectations should be low. He couldn’t even get a guaranteed contract. The Clippers know him well.

The player that could have been a steal is Rodney McGruder. The Clippers stole him from the Heat and smartly signed him to a multi year deal.

Vivi, pippendagimp and IvanLCPM like this.