1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"HOLD THE ROPE" Bum Phillips

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zzhiggins, Nov 5, 2002.

1. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

This is the phrase that Bum Phillips used when evaluating prospects. He wanted guys who would hold the rope in a tug-of-war when things got tough!!!! My memory was jogged by a Rocket rookie who has that quality....Juaquin Hawkins.... Prior qualification are not important when choosing a player like this. Bum once brought in a cement truck driver who helped out. He also brought in a softball player, and the list goes on.

I know you are wondering where I am going with this. Well, when I retired one of my sons hooked me up with a computer. Then he found CCNET for me, because he knew I was a lifelong rabid Rockers fan. I never knew there were so many other fans out there who cared about the Rockets just as much as I did.

The disturbing thing that I ran across was the daily bashing of Rockets, both players and coaches. I was wondering if Keith Jones (Rockets trainer) was going to be the next person blamed for the growing injury list.

Then a CCNET old-timer called me out for complaining about this bashing. He said it made him angry every time he thought about last years 28 win team. Then it hit me that I had missed most of last years games, due to other commitments. I had already written off last season because of injuries and inexperience, etc.
    Now I think I can better understand the criticisms and impatience I have seen here.

Today a breath of fresh air. I saw the kind of constructive criticism and team support I originally expected on a Rockets forum. It was a thread started by McBeth, and posted by numerous others. While it was critical, it was also both optimistic and supportive.

This young team is going to need fan support. They will definately have a lot of ups and downs this year.
    As Bum would put it---Your team is down---In a pit of mud---You Are The Last Man Standing---Are you going to let go---Or---Are you going to HOLD THE ROPE----

2. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

You should seriously stop posting.

3. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

After actually reading your post it was pretty good but stop referring to a man by the name of bum phillips

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Did you not know that Bum Phillips was a coach for the oilers. I guess it doesnt really matter if you did or not, but he can type Bum Phillips as much as he wants to.

See I can to...

Bum Phillips Bum Phillips Bum Phillips

5. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

Hey zzhiggins, the previous responses supported your point. Maybe some of these fans don't realize that some people are just Houston fans. Some of these fans spend more time bashing their team when they should be supporting it.

I am not from Houston, but I can understand what your saying. From the pain of the Steelers - Oilers playoff games and Bills - Oilers playoff game to the excitement of the Ralph Sampson last second shot against the Lakers, the dominance of "The Dream" during the championship years, to the retirement of Hakeem and now to the future of Stevie Franchise, Eddie, Cat, Yao and company.

The Oilers have moved on and so I have I, but I am still a HUGE Rocket fan unless this current team was to leave town.

6. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

RU Drunk? Bum Phillips is a Houston legend. Quietly go away.

7. cujo

cujo Member

Great post ZZhiggins. More people here should read your thread.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think we definitly need to support our team, more than bashing them.

its ok to put the players down after a bad game, or blame rudy for a bad decition, but lets not go as far as saying we want them traded or fired because of it.