1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[hmmm] In last 8 seasons, Ariza Teams are 0-14 when he gets > 4 Fouls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, May 16, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pre-game meeting between Brothers and Foster:

Tony Brothers: "Okay, so all eyes are on us tonight. We can't foul out Harden, CP3, Capela, Durant, Curry or Thompson, because the Commish wants the stars on the court. That means we also can't toss Draymond, no matter how much we'd like to. Our hands are tied! How we are going to unduly influence the game? I'm stumped."

Scott Foster: "I've got an out-of-the-box idea. Check this out: If we get Trevor Ariza in foul trouble early..."

#21 topfive, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    DonKnock, Sajan and heypartner like this.
  2. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Luc Richard Mbah Moute

hairyme and MyLateRegistration like this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

* PLRMM

Sajan likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you even thread title, bro?

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

That's insane. I figured it was playoffs. But 8 SEASONS?!

Trevor and the lack of the bench was what cost us the game.

Edit: not Trevor, but the lack of Trevor

DonKnock likes this.
  7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Look what happens without Ariza gettin phantom fouls to keep him on the bench.

ElDobleK and tmactoyao like this.
  8. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Ariza tonight played 35 minutes and was

[​IMG]

Rockets win!

DonKnock likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

you were saying. ariza is by far the best wing in this type of situation and matchup

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

id say that strip on kd was a phantom call but i guess they gotta call something eventually right. just like the harden strip on curry where they called the foul

DonKnock and tmactoyao like this.
  11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Those fouls didn't put them in a situation where they were relegated to the bench though. That is why I included that qualifier.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i was just saying those calls were not fouls at all

DonKnock likes this.
  13. basketballholic

You know, I should poo poo this for shall sample size or some other lame excuse that don't amount to a hill of beans since this little indicator is similar to my player turnover indicator.

But I'm not going to do that because this is viable. Just like my player turnover indicator is viable. What this little piece of data says is that Ariza is a key defensive cog to the teams he's played on and when he gets in foul trouble it means the opponent is beating him and as a consequence beating the team.

This does not men the opposite axiom is true, that being that when Ariza has less than 4 fouls guys team is undefeated or even has a winning record. What it simply means is when Ariza gets in foul trouble it's virtually impossible for his team to win.

I like it. Need to remember it for the future.

14. heypartner

Ariza teams are now 5-0 (3-0 in playoff games), when he goes

[​IMG]

DonKnock likes this.
  15. heypartner

8 yrs isn't a small sample size. But I agree, it's an indicator with many possibilities. But that stat isn't really the point here, it was just shocking and fun to post.

We need near perfect games, and can't sustain just 23 mins of Ariza.

The point is Game 1 was dead even at half and 61-60 when Ariza got his 5th foul very early in the 3rd, and we had to go to Green for the remainder of the 3rd (9 1/2 mins), and Worriers ate him up, and dominated the 3rd. Our defense requires cerebral skills to switch correctly, which PJ and Ariza anchor.

The 5th foul ruined any game-planning we had going, and screwed with our rotations so much so, that we even had to play Nene for rest reasons, and they ate him up.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. basketballholic

Agreed. We have to have Ariza on the floor when Durant is in there or we have zero chance. It's just that simple. Ariza is a huge key for our defense.

DonKnock likes this.