1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HLS&R, Texans Oppose Astrodome Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

can somebody breakdown or show me a link about how the Texans were responsible for Astroworld being torn down? i heard this mentioned on the radio and i am curious.

Also, it was pretty funny on Matt and Rich's show, the majority of emailers and texters were saying the Dome should be used as a strip club or, the best one was that all the strip clubs should be relocated there and you pay one door fee and can go to all of them and they can paint a giant nipple on the roof.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree. But on the other hand, it is completely moronic of the city/developers not to approach the potential veto votes way earlier in the process. It's almost as if they were trying to get a swell of public support behind it so that the Texans/Rodeo would be pressured into saying okay.

but i'm sure we don't know all the facts.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Disney tore it down, because the 30 year plan to build Disney in Houston is about to get serious.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This isn't the first contact. This is way too big a project for this to be the first contact.

The HLS&R and Texans are both acting like they just heard about this..."we had no idea they actually wanted people to spend money there before!! gasp!!!"

Disingenuous.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No link, but Astroworld had a lease agreement on a large amount of the south side of the Astrodome complex parking lot. The Texans declined to renew that lease agreement when it expired, and effectively cut out Astroworld parking. Astroworld closed down in response.

Evan

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The Texans are a ****ty franchise. I'm glad some of you are seeing it now.

7. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

I can't really knock that. Astroworld was lame. But a big city like Houston needs a quality amusement park.

8. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Thank you. Glad to see someone on the same page here! ppl don't even realize what's about to hit sometimes. Galveston/Houston/Woodlands is about to make some loud noise in the world. Thats why keeping the dome up and used for something is a really good idea to get the olympics. I wonder how fast Disney could set up shop if they knew we were getting that? hmm, maybe 6 years notice would do! read through the lines ppl! there's a reason they wanted to make 249 a TOLL ROAD!!!

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So basically the Texans:

1. Refused to draft VY
    2. Had Astroworld destroyed
    3. Want the Astrodome gone.

WTF!

10. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Please. Look on the world map the cities where Disney sets up shop.

Disney, I repeat, Disney is never going to set up shop in Houston, Tx. Disney would go to Dallas or San Antonio before even thinking about Houston.

11. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Probably San Antonio, but not Dallas.

Oh, and the Texans are so stupid. This new thing at the Dome would bring in more people and help with getting another Super Bowl. It isn't like the Texans and HLSR are going to be at Reliant Park every day. The Rodeo is just a month, and the Texans have 10 home games (more for playoffs if they get there).

12. shsu33

shsu33 Member

You can believe what you want and repeat it to yourself over and over but it is going to happen. Save, copy, scan, paste or whatever you wanna do with this but it will happen.

If Disney would go to SA or lil d b4 even thinking about Houston, then why did they buy land out in Magnolia like 30 years ago? Guess they were thinking about h-town, huh?

13. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

So you could post a reply on a houston clutch message board 30 yrs later wetting your pants thinking it is going to happen.

Get real. Disney is smart enough not to build an amusement park where the climate is not conducive to having a year round operation. Plus Houston does not have the tourist #s that Dallas and San Antonio has to maximize profits.

14. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

next step is to get rid of candy

15. MadMax

like Orlando in the 60's??? :D

16. MadMax

Disney isn't building a new park in the States anytime soon.

Having said that, Houston and Orlando have nearly identical weather.

And pretending that the weather is so much better in San Antonio and Dallas than it is in Houston/Orlando is silly.

17. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Disney = Los Angeles/Orange County & Orlando, not Houston, not now not ever!

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Jesus Christ, Murph, I think you might be a little overinvested here.

19. MadMax

are you aware of what Orlando was (or more importantly, what it wasn't) when Walt built there?? Orlando was nothing but a big swamp.

are you aware that he hated the fact that DisneyLand was entirely surrounded by Anaheim strip centers???

Disney looks for cheap, isolated land near a major airport. They would not build inside Houston for sure....but suggesting they wouldn't consider cheap land in Southeast Texas is just silly.