1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

History of Video Game Console Pricing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stack24, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

They adjusted the systems for inflation. I remember my first system was the Intellivision back in the day. Parents couldn't afford a Ninetendo so we bought it from our neighbors and the games were like 9.99 at Toys R Us

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not as bad as I expected. Desktop computer prices adjusted for inflation must be through the roof.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Loooool they thought people were going to pay $650 for the neo geo? Man...some people lost their jobs on that one.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I just checked the price of my first computer which was a Packard Bell486SX 25mghz computer that I added a CD ROM in from Sound Blaster which my parents got for me in 1995.

The total was like close to 3K back then and would have been close to 4700 bucks today.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

:eek::eek::eek:

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I went from Nintendo, Super Nintendo, playstation, ps2, xbox, ps3, and a ps4 I don't even touch.

7. Dei

Dei Member

Playstation 3 was FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IH2w2l1JTs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I bought an original Apple Mac Plus (with the little screen) used in the early 90s for $150 -- it had one meg of memory and no hard drive (just floppies). The guy I bought it from said it cost him close to $6000 new in the 80s with all the programs, printer, etc.

9. Christopher

Christopher Member

I feel like the PS2 was the most expensive console I've ever bought. Not outright but more for how much it cost at the time compared to what you expected to pay for a console.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

The PS4 is the most expensive console I've ever bought, but considering I had to buy 4 xbox 360s I'm guessing that it'll never approach the total cost there.

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well hey, at least it was worth-it. I wonder if there will ever be a console with a better library of games than the PS2.

For me my most expensive console purchase was definitely the PS3. Got it for I think about $533 like 8 months after launch. Which probably is about $600 in today's money.

12. Christopher

Christopher Member

From memory I got my PS2 on launch day. I have it stored somewhere. Would still happily play GTA:SA on it if I had it set up.

I got the original xbox for Halo at some point and then the xbox 360 from there. Didn't get the PS3. Have an Xbone now but for what ever reason I feel like I have to hand over more cash for my PS2. Weird lol