1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

History of the Rockets over the last 12 months (from 10/6/12)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MojoMan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Just for fun (and for those with short memories), let's review the evolution of the Rocket's team and especially the team's top scoring options over the last 12 months.

1. Exactly 365 days ago the Rocket's #1 scoring option (and the face of the franchise) was none other than Jeremy Lin. I do not recall who the #2 scoring option was supposed to be at that time, but it was not Chandler Parsons, who was coming off of a rookie season were he averaged 9.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.16 steals in 63 games. This was a solid rookie performance for a second round draft pick, but he had not established himself as consistent 3 point scorer option yet and was regarded more as a defensive stopper and a guy who gave 100% all the time and was an intelligent, team oriented player. Asik had already been acquired from Chicago, but was not considered a scorer and had never been a starter as center.

As far as the team overall, the general consensus was that the Rockets were very likely a lottery team and were realistically in somewhat of a rebuilding mode.

2. On October 28, 2012, the Rocket's acquired James Harden. At this point, many Rocket's fans apparently made a full memory dump of all of their pessimistic thoughts and predictions for the team. However, considering the rest of the team surrounding Harden, there was not a general sense that the Rockets were going to be more than just pretty good. The debate was at that time whether the Rockets were going to be good enough to make the playoffs. Actually, they turned out to a little better than many people thought going into the regular season last year. But only a little.

The scoring options going into the regular season last year where:
    1) James Harden
    2) Jeremy Lin
    3) I don't remember

By the end of the season, the team scoring options where:
    1) James Harden
    2) Chandler Parsons
    3) Jeremy Lin
    4) Carlos Delfino

This turned out to be one of the top scoring teams in the league during the regular 2012-13 season. But on the defensive end, not so much.

3 . During the summer of 2012, the Rockets acquired Dwight Howard. The Rockets are now considered by most people to be in the hunt in the West, although I have not seen anyone declare the Rockets to be the solid favorite to be the best team in the West.

Going into the 2013-14 season, the top scoring options are
    1) James Harden
    2) Dwight Howard
    3) Chandler Parsons
    4) Jeremy Lin
    5) Probably Donatas Motiejunas, but Omri Casspi had a nice first preseason game last night.

How times have changed in only 365 days. Jeremy Lin has gone from the #1 to #4 scoring option, which is really good news for the Rockets, and is only the face of the franchise when they take trips to the orient, such as the one they are currently on. Chandler Parsons has come into his own, and the Rockets have acquired two superstars.

What will the future hold for this team 365 days from now? Time will tell....

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We will have another championship.......

3. arjun

arjun Member

365 days ago our #1 scoring option was kevin martin.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

geez this guy "i dont know" can ball!! he is the most mentioned rocket in your thread

5. Roxs-Redemption

Interesting post.
    Funny how time ticks by so fast.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny how Lin went from being the the proposed top scorer on a really bad team to the 4th option on a contender in just one year.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The third scoring option going into last year was probably Patrick Patterson. He was pretty forgettable last year, so I don't blame you for not remembering.

8. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Kevin martin *cough cough*

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Kevin Martin and Patrick Patterson are the people you are thinking about.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Ugh, sorry for the double post, plz forgive me but also Jeremy Lamb and Morris were supposed to be major players in our offense.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Martin was by far our biggest scoring option. He was a 20ppg scorer when he was here.

That being said, having Kevin Martin as your #1 scoring option means you are a pretty mediocre team at least.

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

How quickly Kevin Martin is forgotten, only 365 days...

13. Unstable

Unstable Member

Just strange that OP never mentioned Asik even once...Asik joined Rockets at the same time as JLin....

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

who? I don't remember...lols.

OP, how can you make a huge post like that and not stop to use the internet to answer your questions, before you post.

Kevin Martin was the #1 option, not Lin

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think coming in Lin was probably considered the number 1 option. Not necessarily the top scorer. They don't have to be the same thing.

16. alethios

alethios Member

I'm wonder if Kevin Martin thought he would be in Minnesota a year later. Oh fortune, how you mock me.

17. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Oh Kmart..poor guy had like 2 YouTube mixes. Temporarily a Rocket but easily forgotten.

18. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

To see the coloured people yes? I agree.