1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

History of Clutchfans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Oct 16, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yep...Hakeem took down Clutchfans for two days, when he left.

Aug 2nd, 2001

so fitting...that a '99er like Plowman calls this

2. what

what Member

Darkhorse ran a website called launchpad circa 1995 is what I am saying, but he closed that site moved over to clutch's forum. Right?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I started lurking in the Spring of 1999 and experienced the Summer of the Francis Trade. I could have registered in the Fall of 1999. Why didn't I? Being a weenie. There were some tough hombres around here back then. You couldn't get away with diddly squat like you can today. Guys like Behad and Mango would rip you a new one for being ignorant and stupid. Lots of things were different, as in better. Clutch posted a lot in regular threads, instead of a bit here and a bit there, and wrote a lot of columns (he's getting back into doing that more often, thank goodness), things he doesn't have as much time for as he once did, since he's so busy juggling a hundred different things now, like all the great reporting he does, with the organization finally giving him access. As you pointed out, DD, there were vastly fewer members, a huge plus, in my opinion.

The BBS "disappeared" briefly in the Fall, freaking out a lot of members and lurkers (like me), who temporarily thought it was gone forever (which Clutch did nothing to clear up at first - I had this mental image after the site returned as ClutchFans that he was sitting back, rubbing his hands together, and cackling madly as the place freaked out, enjoying every minute of it). Here I was having only discovered the place 6 months before - a Rockets BBS!! - and I thought it was gone. It was like one of Clutch's classic April Fool's gags, except it wasn't April.

I view the BBS as going through 3 eras, more or less. There's the classic early era of ClutchCity.com, lasting until the Big Change I just talked about. I missed that, not knowing the BBS existed. There was the era of steady growth between 1999 and just before the Yao Draft, the era I caught the tail end of as a member, but lurked the whole time (I'm so glad that when I finally joined and stopped lurking, that I wasn't part of the gigantic Yao Rush of Members, joining when Yao seemed like the most unlikely pick imaginable in that year's draft). We had about 3500-3600 members. Then we drafted Yao. Things were never the same again. I guess one could argue that there's been a post-Yao era, which we're still in, I suppose. I'm not sure Jeremy rates an era all to himself. I don't think he does (as in "pre-Lin, post-Lin"), but getting Harden, and then Dwight seems like the beginning of a new era. Time will tell.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

...and then we saw the birth of Roc Paint325...oops, I mean Roc Paint! :grin:

5. heypartner

we know this...and the fact you know it

very impressed....might have to elevate you to honarary '99er status, especially if you get me a ticket with you for Nov 17th, I'll buy your Nov 16th in OKC in exchange. And then we go to Houston to see the Mavs twice. At that point, I'm back home with my season tickets.

let's do it.

[​IMG]

#105 heypartner, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. what

what Member

I don't live in Memphis anymore. I'm actually living in Brenham Tx right now, but hey when the grizzlies play houston, I'll be more than glad to show my face.

7. Nook

Nook Member

You are a real person?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

what?

9. heypartner

Brenham is nice...I miss Texas so bad

Give me a date? (Do I have to look it up.) I probably won't be able to make the game, but I'll give you my tickets.

10. heypartner

just for the record...either of you guys want a ticket to sit with the most awesome Dave2000 and his killer sidekick Kam with Naismith above you and REEKO and Miguel in section 420.

420 -- haha

Let me know....it's an awesome game when you are sitting with them.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is it possible to do that without photos of my bald head showing up in Hangout??

12. what

what Member

they play the grizzlies dec3 and mar4 in houston.

13. Roc Paint

Yes, I would love that! ;)

14. heypartner

They won't take pictures like they did of me. Dude...pick a game. It's yours. Even Lebron....but with Lebron you would have to tell me now. You have first right of refusal.

You're right. i can't make either. Pick one and email me. You should do it. It will be fun. Or pick another game when you are in Houston. I live in Boulder, so really only do two rounds of regular games then all playoffs.

15. Roc Paint

I can't be the only one showing off the Que. what I don't have on top...I make up for it on the chin. ;)

:)---

16. Nook

Nook Member

Would love to but probably will be in nasty Chicago or beautiful but ohh so far away Ireland.

17. heypartner

I R E L A N D

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yup have business in Northern Ireland. The place is clean, beautiful, the people are wonderful... Very hard to not end up at a party with new friends. No complaints, even the quality (not variety) of food is exceptional. Only issue is that it is so damn far away.

19. heypartner

Well, in fairness, both Behad and Mango love tie-dyes. And Behad is still the official Sergeant at Arms as given rank by Clutch. I have like about 6 apologies lined up in his queue that he hasn't gotten to yet.

Miss you Bill and Mango.

20. heypartner

GO IRISH!!!

headed to the college thread now for warmups