1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Historic North Korea/South Korea Meeting - Trump Peace Prize?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think the word you're looking for is dangerous..

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

stupid -> dangerous

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree. In my opinion, trump isn't stupid. He's mentally ill, completely self-absorbed, caring nothing for anyone but himself, and maybe a couple of relatives, and he is utterly ruthless. Ruthless enough to betray his country, which is what he has been busy doing, in my humble opinion.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

we're debating semantics

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, no, we are not. My description and yours are very, very different. I say that with goodwill, but it's my habit to say what I believe, and the way I described trump is what I believe, strongly. I may have left some things out to keep the post short, things like his obvious and deep corruption, his pathological dishonesty, which is a major component of his personality, the man lying every day, often several times a day, and I could go on, but stupid? Not in my opinion. He may be acquiring dementia, but that's not stupidity.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not suggesting Trump get the Nobel Peace Prize. I am just saying that since he's been in office and sought to engage with N. Korea, our prisoners were freed. He gets some credit for that. I think if Obama was in office and engaged with N. Korea, then our prisoners were released he would be getting credit.

body slam, joshuaao and JuanValdez like this.
  7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dude you keep this up and the left is gonna turn on you.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of us on this board have been applauding President Trump and his administration for this. He and Kim Jong Un have done something that seemed unfathomable a year ago. I'm still awaiting to see what happens at this summit, but this is truly remarkable stuff.

The inability of some people to know a good thing when they see it only entrenches the problem of "team politics" here. Good on President Trump for this thing. I disagree with him on most other issues of policy, but he's done well here. Also, your avatar is very similar to texxxie; for a second, I was ready to reply a bit more pent-up frustration.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure. I think most of this is at Kim Jung Un's agency. He's the one who decided to play nice and pursue a summit and so on. But, Trump could have remained combative, could have insisted on a laundry list of preconditions before having a conversation, and he didn't do that. And now these guys are free. That's great.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Come on... its at least a little bit funny...

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Schumer talks out of both sides of his mouth and is a disgraceful senile old fool.

cml750 likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

So Trump claims that Kim Jung Un was excellent to the freed prisoners? Wow...

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

First of all 2 of those prisoners were taken during Trump presidency while he was making threats against N Korea, only one late in Obama's presidency was one taken. Obama did secure release of prisoners throughout his presidency from other countries and was roundly criticizes for it at times.

But this isn't about giving credit or criticism. People are missing the bigger picture. Two questions

1. Why do you think prior presidents like Obama would not meet with N. Korea? I mean, Obama open the door to the Iranians - why didn't he do it with the N Koreans?

2. Given the current love fest between these two, does this below take on any other significance?

"How many young guys -- he was like 26 or 25 when his father died -- take over these tough generals, and all of a sudden ... he goes in, he takes over, and he’s the boss," Trump said. "It's incredible. He wiped out the uncle, he wiped out this one, that one. I mean this guy doesn't play games. And we can't play games with him."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-north-korean-leader-kim-jong-gotta-give/story?id=36198345

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

1. Because N. Korea is probably the most oppressive and secretive regime in the world. With Iran it was possible to get much more in terms of verification. With N. Korea there was no way.

2. I'm not defending anything else about Trump's rhetoric and policies with N. Korea. I also agree that N. Korea has the lead in almost ever negotiation and transaction including the release of these prisoners.

Trump doesn't get credit for being a smart or wise statesman. He doesn't get credit for pursuing a well-thought-out plan, having a mission and seeing it through. But he does deserve some credit for the release of these prisoners which happened after he engaged with them. That's all. I'm not even saying I applaud his engagement.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Ok well, if that's the bar for credit than sure, he gets credit. About as much credit as Obama for capturing Osama Bin Laden should get (Obama does get credit for being cautious in their approach).

I think N. Korea sees this summit as an opportunity to make Kim an equal to the POTUS and then show the world that N Korea isn't as bad as everyone thinks - thus the release of prisoners. It's all about image - from both sides. A means to raise their own standings without actually doing anything.

I would bet that nothing comes from this summit other than both sides saying they were tough and wouldn't yield and the smarter negotiator. Nothing will have been done, but both will hail it as a victory. And from an image standpoint, they will be right.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, Trump has proven to be an inept negotiator and it's doubtful that even if there is some type of agreement, the U.S. gets the better of the deal. Trump actually doesn't even have enough knowledge about how the world or even the United States works to know what to ask for, what to guard against etc. during the negotiations.

17. TheresTheDagger

LOL at James Woods. He never holds back his contempt of Hillary.

mick fry likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Trump is going to offer to make the US troops leave S Korea - he wants to do it anyway, so he is thinking this is a good way to get something for it.

The moment US troops were to leave, N Korea could conquer the S without the use of nukes.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, that would be idiotic.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Obama, like most leaders, are obsessed over their legacy. Bringing peace to the middle east was one of his main goals. A peace accord would hail him as one of the greatest leaders of modern times and bring security to the oil treasures.

N. Korea offers nothing to the world. The egotistical mindset of the world is if NK wants to be isolationists, leave them alone provided they do not disrupt their neighbors.

Iran is not going to launch a nuke. They have way too much to lose. We only give a **** about Iran because they are the troublesome neighbor that sews discord among the community. We can't have them encouraging the rest of the Middle East to rebel against the Empirical States of America. Conversely, there is a serious humanitarian crisis going on in NK and the world has been ignoring it for decades.