1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Historic North Korea/South Korea Meeting - Trump Peace Prize?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Apr 30, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's like they're having a clown decathlon in the White House. Neck and neck btwn Rudy, Dennison, Pruitt, and Sanders.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Many of us are on record and are very happy at the signs of thawing. Kim has done this kind of dance before, so we've also cautioned that we can't overreact. Can you tell us why Rudy is now saying publicly humiliating things about Kim Jong Un? How is that going to help anything?

But yes, GOOD for Dennison if we can make real progress on the Korean peninsula. Would also like him to improve our damaged relations with long-time allies like Canada, and the EU -- not sure why those much more important relations are being set on fire.

3. Nook

Nook Member

It was a good day for Trump, and overall the North Korea situation has been a positive situation.

I question how good it is, from a geo-political standpoint, because it legitimizes the North Korea government. Then again, the last thing we want is a revolution in North Korea and the possible non-stability that could cause and friction with China and the concerns of South Korea.

Ultimately this is coming down to politics........ if Obama had done this, Democrats would laud him and Republicans would be grilling him.

The political landscape in the USA has become to partisan.

Were you celebrating Obama when he opened up negotiations with Cuba or were you criticizing him?

This doesn't just go for you....... this goes for everyone wear their partisan hat on this issue.

4. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I was happy about Cuba as a cigar smoker and humanist seeing the people suffer due to trade embargoes but
    bringing together and helping to create relations in the most dangerous DMZ line between a nation at war for
    50 years is truly a great thing for this world.

And all the people here can do is find a way to say "but wait", "why did they say this" and not just look at the results.

Trump's style is in your face and harsh but the man is damn effective when it comes to having foreign governments
    bend to his will, has been effective in putting the fear into foreign governments to re-negotiate trade deals and under
    his watch has seen unemployment especially in minority communities go to an all-time low.

5. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Why does it always have to be a way to marginalize it. You're letting your emotional hatred cloud your judgement.

This was the most dangerous potential conflict in the world 18 months ago. Today the North Korean and South Korean presidents are meeting and embracing each other and talking.

This is an incredible situation.

No If's, And's or But's. Try to marginalize it all you can but bringing up other countries but let's just enjoy this bit of peace.

Give peace a chance!

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm sure I'm in the minority for my stance:

- I want talk with NK. BTW, this was traditional a no no for GOP. Don't talk to crazy dictators and government.
    - I don't think NK need to give up it's nuke. It's unrealistic that they would. But they need to stop progressing and they do need to give up some abilities (for the US, long range strike). No more test, no more advancement, no sharing of their knowledge to Iran and others, .... constant monitoring and inspection...
    - End the war officially
    - Have NK join the world, open up trades, open up relations
    - NK actually give up nukes and the US pull out of Korea

What do we have now? NOTHING. No result yet. We seen this before. It's NOT the first time the two sides talk and hugs. It's not the first time NK talk with the US.

What do I expect. Complete failure. Not just this Admin, the Dem, and nearly everyone else expect NK to give up nuke completely. Not going to happen, not without the US completely gone from that region, which isn't going to happen either.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't agree. If Obama had done this, you are right, the GOP would grill him and the GOP followers would grill him.

Now that Trump IS trying to do this, we don't have nearly that type of reactions from the left. It's more of a cautious stance. It's not a this is fking nut crazy stupid dangerous unpatriotic thing.

But we do get to make fun of the craziness. Don't mistake that for wanting failure.

8. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Kim Jong Un's recent trip to South Korea was THE FIRST TIME a North Korean President has visited South Korea in over 50 years.

The meetings, body language, embracing and opening of channels long closed is a remarkable turnaround for a region that has
    been one of the most dangerous.

How can you not see the gravity of this???

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

SK leader went to NK in 2001 or sometime around that. They met and shown much happiness before.

If nothing else happen since.. you think we got something? No, we got nothing.

Don't get me wrong, it's good progress and is the first step to the next 10000 steps. But we need real results... this isn't just a photo op. The real negotiation and actual implementation are HARD and difficult.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think Rebecca Ballhaus is the name Stormy Daniels should have gone with.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What tangible things has he accomplished with respect to having foreign governments bend to his will? He pulls the USA out of existing agreements and says he is willing to renegotiate, but where are the results? I keep reading what might happen, but until things actually happen, I don’t see governments bending to his will.

12. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

JOBS, JOBS and JOBS.

People didn't elect Trump because they like the man personally or think he's a genius. They thought he would crash through the red tape and bureaucracy and find a way to help get MORE JOBS.

That is why he was elected. No one gives a damn about his sex life or if he likes to bullshit. They care about themselves and the unemployment rates for african americans and latinos is a huge assist to their communities. Now LeBron and Jay-Z as guys worth hundreds of millions of dollars may not like him but the people that have options between multiple jobs and seeing pay raises are loving him.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'm sure you were thanking Obama the past nine years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. NewRoxFan

And btw, wage growth actually dropped in April.

[​IMG]

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That wasn’t the question I asked. My question was to the poster who said Trump was renegotiating all those deals and having foreign governments ‘bend to his will’.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Where the hell are you getting these statistics? What a joke.

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan, NewRoxFan and Amiga like this.
  17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Hahahahaha.... Fox News Propaganda

18. NewRoxFan

Much better to "wing it"... what possibly could go wrong? Worst case, he can call Dennis Rodman or Sean Hannity into the room...

Trump and Bolton spurn top-level North Korea planning
    After two months on the job, Trump’s new national security adviser has not called a single top-level National Security Council meeting on North Korea.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/07/trump-bolton-north-korea-630362

19. NewRoxFan

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why
    Why would they prepare when Rodman has already handled everything?

Amiga likes this.