1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hind-sight a tribute to CD and JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rhester, Feb 8, 2005.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I think we have something good going... I like the chemistry and the type team we have. Barring injuries I think we can contend this year if we can get past the 1st round. Don't underestimate this team in a 7 game series-

Consider the remaking of the Houston Rockets-

The trades-
    Tmac and J Howard have been all that is advertised. TMac is a young smart talented super star who plays defense, scores, leads and is unselfish. Phenom-talent- Hall of Fame type.
    Howard is solid.

Barry and Wesley- solid veterans- they have passion, intensity, they pass, shoot and play defense. Good character- solid leaders.

Free Agents-
    Mutombo and Sura- savvy veterans who have given their all.
    Sura is tough and tenacious. He is our enforcer. Every good team needs this guy who does not slow down or back down.
    Mutombo- He is priceless, from his finger wagging to his slow motion jump hook he is the perfect backup to Yao.

Props to CD and JVG. I wondered why we didn't sign Damon Jones, I wondered who would back up Yao. I didn't think Boki was given a shot. I thought the Barry and the Wesley trades were a wash.

NO WAY

This team has been built as much around JVG's system as Yao and TMac- they are his kind of players.

We have surrounded Yao and TMac with players who have heart toughness, solid veteran maturity. They are intelligent, they pass the rock and they don't committ stupid turnovers.

Players dive for loose balls, shoot when they are open and make the extra pass almost to a fault.

I do not think this team was assembled on accident.
    I do not expect a let down because Sura, Wesley, Barry and Mutombo are all warriors. That is what we needed. They all have the Mario Elie, Otis Thorpe spirit.

In hind sight we completely re made this team from last season and I believe we are much stronger heading into the playoffs.

I believe.

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree...but I always have thought that the trades were great and that the team would be good by the All Star break. I'm wondering what happened to everyone who kept saying "Howard's stats are misleading" and "he can't do anythign right on a good team" and stuff. Like rhester said, he's solid.

The one thing I will continue to seriously eat my words on is Sura. I didn't think he could run point for this team--I thought he should get 30 mpg off the bench backing up 3 positions. And maybe that would still be a good role for him...but boy was I wrong about him not being able to run point full-time.

4. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I hope we make the playoffs (there are no guarantees)

I really believe this team will be nasty in a 7 game series

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post..I like your sig too.It brings back good PSJ memories.
    Anyway,I agree,there's no reason we shouldn't be a threat this year contingent on some minor tweaking.There seems to be an emphasis on professionalism....more of a team attitude.
    CD has done a fine job and it's getting easier for me to visualize JVG taking us to the finals...or should I say TMac.

6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Man...Superfriends was the most awesome cartoon back in the day...anyways...I got to really credit JVG ...I think he's had a postive influence on CD.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

come on dude, you know sura sucks ;)

8. RocketsFAN3035

I agree........
    ......but Mt. Mutumbo wasn't a free agent pick-up. We made a trade with the Bulls (who got him in the Jamal Crawford trade).

IIRC, we traded the Polish Rifle and someone else.....

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Mike Wilks.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

If they maintain their current intensity, sustain consistent shooting, avoid injuries, and keep working on defense, the Rockets could be a dangerous team to meet in a seven game series. They need to get greedy. Go after Dallas and, then, homecourt. Don't let up. Don't let up. The run to playoffs is NOW!

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

For all the stuff about JVG's love affair with his ex-Knicks, he's been pretty solid with the personel moves. Unfortunately, our moves in the few seasons prior to JVG's arrival has been mostly crap.

That said, it's not ALL great. He did give Charlie Ward a 3-year contract. He also made Mark Jackson our backup point last year, while giving Rod can-no-longer-shoot Strickland major minutes this year. I'm still not sold that these have been right decisions.

12. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

SPLASH!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

The Charlie Ward and Jackson signings were an attempt at whta they ar doing this year....finding dependable veterans that would protect the ball and run the offense.

Unfortunately....they didnt work out...thems the breaks.

now....to be fair....Strickland used to have some serious PG skills(7th alltime in assists)...and when they called him, he was basically playing pickup ball.

He has gotten a little better with the more minutes he gets...I fully expect his shot to start falling within the next couple of games.

Notice how he is good at gettgin into the paint? It is only a matter of gettting back into gameshape....
    He fits the mold....sturdy and dependable...good passer...smart....good driver.

As long as he doesnt start turning over the ball and does his part in the defensive rotations...I am willing to give him a little more time to get his shot back.