1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinch Was Right!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Coach Flip, May 7, 2017.

1. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Just glanced at the 2015 batting orders: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2015-batting-orders.shtml

Hinch was right with Altuve leading off then Springer with Gattis batting clean up. Now he just needs to try Correa after Altuve!

The 1986 Astros seemed to regularly score multiple runs in the 1st inning against LHPs. And if I recall correctly, that's with Asby, Reynolds and pitcher at bottom of the order. With our pitching staff, many games were over in the 1st inning. Last night was another wasted outing by junior b/c of that crappy line up.

If we're not regularly scoring runs in 1st inning, the line up needs some fixing. The current top of the order is very frustrating, and Hinch needs to keep trying different combos until he finds that winning combination.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

That '86 Astro team also were the comeback kids. That was a special team. This one will be too.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Fourth thread started all discussing the batting order. Kudos for redundancy.

#billgatesmoney
    #amistadconsultingwouldliketodiscussyourbattingorder

DudeWah and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Enjoy it while you can.

tellitlikeitis, bobrek and kaleidosky like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

His lineups are like Mel Kiper's draft predictions. So many are done, that eventually he hits on something.

Uprising and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Coach flipperaci

T for 3 and Houstunna like this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The '86 squad finished below league average in runs scored. It's doubtful they were juggernauts in any facet of offense.

Also, I never knew NYM won 108 games that year. That probably hasn't happened more than 5x since. No surprise we took the L. On the other hand, 1998 was one of biggest disgraces I've seen in HOU history.

#7 Houstunna, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just realized when you have somebody on ignore, it not only ignores posts, but the threads they start as well.

Kudos Clutch

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only problem is that you have to remember to check ignored threads before posting a thread to ensure one isn't duplicating an existing thread. Considering the number of threads in the Astros Forum, this usually isn't a problem here.

10. Buck Turgidson

You never saw, or definitely never watched, the '86 team you ****ing jake.

msn likes this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The '86 team had Mike Scott, Nolan Ryan, Bob Knepper, Jim Deshaies, charlie kerfeld, dave smith all dealing that year. Incredible pitching staff. Defensively, we were probably tops or close to tops in the league at nearly every position (not catcher or 1st). Career years by Kevin Bass (.311 20 hr 20+ sb), Denny Walling, and a 31 homer season from Glenn Davis- 2nd in the national league. The team started hot then was fairly quiet for a couple of months and then really came together in july. That Met team was better, one of the best ever. The sox had em dead to rights and lost. I think the Astros woulda beat that sox team.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I want more coach flip! Premium content.

13. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

That Mets teams was considered the best ever, and the Stros should've beat them and advanced to the World Series. They found a way to make it interesting and lose as they did against the Phillies in 1980.

14. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Are you kiddin' me? Remember Hatcher's muff in the outfield that got the Metz back into it in game 6? Then he hit a HR in extra innings to prolong the agony...I was literally paralyzed on the couch when Bass was batting in the 16th.

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I think his comments were directed at another poster. Kevin Bass was too nervous. I still remember those shaky knees and desperate hacks in that final at bat.

16. Buck Turgidson

No, I'm not. I am straight up calling you a dumbass troll punk dipsh!t b!tch.

17. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Your memory is much better than mine. Loved Kerfeld! Wasn't there an incident of him eating ribs or something in the bullpen? Hilarious...Mets had a better record, but the Stros had their number and should've/could've won it if it wasn't for Hatcher's muff of a routine fly ball in game 6. I think Scott would've pitched game 7.

18. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Dont forget to take your meds, dude! And get a life...

#18 Coach Flip, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  19. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Hey man, go get some sunshine. Geez.