1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinch & Batting Lineups!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Coach Flip, May 1, 2017.

1. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Good stats. I hope he keeps it up. I'd manage a team's line up more based on recent performance. It's inexcusable to keep a slumping player in cleanup for so long. Its a hole in the lineup when we desperately needed offensive flow.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Problem is no one knows how long slump will last. Typically, by the time we know a player is in a slump for sure, he's close to coming out of it. If he isn't close to coming out of it, you have a Carlos Gomez situation last year and whether to keep him on team is a bigger question than place in lineup. Correa has been out of a 2-3 week slump for a week now and no matter what he does, he can't change the slump that has happened and there is no reason to move him down currently.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dug down a little deeper and saw this:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/32653/carlos-correa

By Situation:

None On .310 .408 .429 .837
    Runners On .159 .208 .273 .481
    Scoring Position .107 .161 .143 .304
    Bases Loaded .000 .000 .000 .000
    Lead Off Inning .320 .370 .480 .850
    Scoring Posn, 2 out .111 .273 .222 .495

He hits really well when no one is on, terrible when they are. In other words, in pressure situations, he folds. Not where you bat a guy #4.

#23 jim1961, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

You crack me up! Carlos Gomez was a painful situation, and it seemed like it took Hinch forever to figure him out when the fan base already past judgment on him. Probably old news, but Gomez hit for the cycle yesterday.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Is there a further break down of LD% and/or BABIP in the base runners scenario? I know he hasn't looked great with base runners on but I'd like to know how much a bad luck vs bad contact component there is.

There's no doubt in my mind that the first pitch-take business he's doing is hurting him. He's behind in way too many counts.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It was also painfully obvious to cut Valbuena as well at end of April last year. Fans almost always overreact to small sample sizes. When guys truly go into the toilet, the organization looks really stupid to the fans especially when the player is out of options and his backup sucks too.

I blame Luhnow more than Hinch though. The OF sucked last year outside of Springer. Hinch's choice most nights were a bad hitting Gomez or a bad hitting Marisnick if i recall correctly. I guess he could have put a slumping Gattis (he did hit later in year) in left and have ear infected Rasmus in center.

Last year, 8 guys were worse than Correa at this point.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

During Correa's last week (6 games), he's 3-13 with runners on and failed to drive in a runner from 3rd with less than 2 outs all 3 times (2Ks and a weakass popup). The Astros lost all 3 of those games by 1 run.

Nook likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just don't think there's enough of a sample this year to make conclusions on Correa.

He was hitting .310 through his first 34 PA. Then he went into a 2-27 slump sandwiched around a hand injury. Now he's slashing .300/.344/.533 over his last 32 PA.

Overall he has no doubt sucked as a cleanup hitter this year, but if we drop him to 7th and he goes on a tear that doesn't create as many runs as it would have in the 4 slot, that will suck too. There will be a time when he needs to be dropped, it's just too early to make that call IMO.

kaleidosky and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Much more knowledge, long time fan, yet you don't know the history of the Astros name?

Yaosthirdleg and tellitlikeitis like this.
  10. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I liked Valbueno. Forgot about him. Correa was very productive last year, but it's a new season and contract issues may be a distraction. Marisnick seems like a better hitter thus far. Reddick and McCann have upgraded outfield and catcher. Last year we had so many injuries to go with some bad players/backups. I've only been following for a year, and noticed a big upgrade since 2016. Luhnow probably monitors the board and made some fabulous off season moves to meet demands.

11. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

For such a huge Astros fan, you should probably know that they play at Minute Maid Park, not at "Reliant" (which is now NRG stadium anyways) --- I wouldn't want you going to the wrong stadium to cheer your favorite team !

Also Hinch is doing really well. Not sure why a manager would self-sabotage an opportunity and "bet against the Astros." That makes no sense, as does the rest of your post .

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

excuse me?

13. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I do know the history of the name. Anyone can google it. I just didn't know if it was short for astronautical engineering or astronomicals

14. bobrek

Now, you've "only been following a year"? I thought you were a fan since the late 70s?

15. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

It was a joke, dude!

16. Buck Turgidson

Also not sure how all that jives with "I've only been following for a year."

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Position players almost always have something bothering them physically. He had a nearly 3 week period that he was hitting ball weakly even with good contact. Last week, he's striking out a lot..but he's smoking ball when he hits it....even with RISP (3 out of 5 batted balls went 350+ feet, two of them outs though). If he was to be sent down in order, it should have been while he was hitting ball weakly.

kaleidosky likes this.
  18. bobrek

The Astros lead the league in getting on base via Catcher's Interference. You neglected to mention that.

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  19. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Carlos Korea

[​IMG]

Houstunna and kaleidosky like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Is that Ben Stiller or one of the Menendez brothers?