1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinch and Lunhow FIRED

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Yordan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I've been burying my head in the sand about this for a while/ I guess I need to take my fingers out my ears now now too... :(

BeBreezy likes this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

if you were to take a poll of what manager/coach and GM to be fired from any houston sports franchise, I think the majority would have been (wanting to be fired on top)

bob
    dantoni
    hinch

bob
    morey
    luhnow

just the last 2 people we would want to fire got fired!!

gatsby likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As the owner of a business, I can completely see where Crane is coming from. He's always empowered his employees, but I think after all these investigations, he started to see the culture that Luhnow & Co. had propagated into his company. Crane is a man who is taking back the reigns of his business, and stating that the ends do NOT always justify the means. I hate that we're losing Hinch and Luhnow, but I respect Crane for his decision.

Also, everybody saying this is the end of our era.....slow the **** down. Crane is the guy who HIRED the people who built this team. He can find more good people to continue to steer the ship. This roster is still plenty talented.

BeBreezy, rugg31, gatsby and 3 others like this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

need to not play Harden, career ending injury is def. a possibility on the worst Monday in houston sports history

5. awc713

awc713 Member

So...I think Manfred partially orchestrated this. He underhandedly gave Crane the chance to separate himself from the fiasco by letting him fire them as opposed to Manfred banning the two. Gives both Luhnow/Hinch the ability to get hired elsewhere (since not banned by league), and helps Crane separate himself and his organization from the two. It just looks eerie...especially with Crane having their back before. I think the league forced him into the firings. Wouldn’t be surprised if Cora is dumped as well.

6. SuraGotMadHops

I still cant believe he fired them. Just shocked, SHOCKED. Why in the world would he do this, and so quickly? He had a year to decide whether to bring them back.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Agree completely. It would have blown over after a year IMO, but it would definitely be brought up multiple times in the playoffs (and especially in the WS).

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

:eek:
    [​IMG]

eliefor3 likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yet

10. steveng125

steveng125 Member

probably to cover himself. Crane probably was involved too

King1 likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Except that MLB did ban than and they are still banned.

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Bullshit. This is complete and utter trash

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would it have if they win it all the year both are suspended?

Will there be a chance it gets brought up now anyways, even with both not here? Remains to be seen... yes, this helps eliminate any possibility of cross-contamination, but I don't think it provides as clear of a slate as simply time would have.

I go back to a combination of this was forced on him... and Crane isn't the biggest fan of Luhnow receiving (deservedly) all the credit.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Huh? Both were suspended and *not* banned. Suspension I’m sure would have to be served during tenure of new team...what are you talking about?

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hes probably meaning expelling.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Honestly I dont mind the firings. Hinch is a manager and managers are never that irreplaceable no matter how good. Luhnow is a big loss, but the PR around the Astros have been terrible lately given the cutthroat, no compromise way he does things. This is the guy who traded for Osuna and almost took a admitted child rapist in the draft before being talked out of it. It's not the worst thing for a culture change in the organization.

The big question is who the Astros hire. As long as Crane makes the right decision here the Astros will be more than fine.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doubtful. By firing them they now have free reign to talk to anybody about anything.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. Elienator

Elienator Member

I think Fyreball explained it a few posts above. Hinch's job was managing the players. He knew and didn't stop it, so unless Crane wants to condone that and say he's OK with running his business that way, he needed to fire Hinch. Luhnow was the general manager and responsible for running the entire Astros organization. Let's just say the organization hasn't looked good recently, so Crane decided it was in his best interest to fire the guy responsible for running the organization during this time.

kaleidosky likes this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'll support the team but I won't give them a dime of my money. What a **** show Houston sports have become

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Remember the good old bad PR days of Comcast sports net? And Crane asking the fans to write checks for millions of dollars?

meh likes this.