1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hill Country for 3 days

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm talking with some of my family about doing 3 days in some cabins in the hill country next time I'm in town. Just something I've suggested. It would be mid-March.

I've been to Austin a couple times, LBJ's ranch once, and spent a few days near Medina Lake as a kid. Otherwise, I have no idea what there is to do. I'd probably want to make it to Lockhart after reading about it so much.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking local day trips and then nights by a fire. Low key-type stuff. Parks, small towns, etc.

The cheaper the better.

Thanks.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Rockin River Cabins in Castell, TX. Castell is off of Hwy 29 almost exactly in between Llano and Mason...on the Llano River. You're close enough to Llano and Mason to go "into town".

These cabins are fantastic and right across the street from the Castell General Store who has the best bbq in the state (only on Saturday's).

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sounds like a good time, you have me looking them up right now.

I can't find a site for Rockin River Cabins (every site that has an URL, is incorrect).

Looking at rates comparing some on the Llano and Bucannon / LBJ?

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if you are coming in from h-town i would skip lockhart and go to city market in lulling (closed on sundays). continue on I-10 and go out to lost maples state park. best hiking in central texas. i usually backcountry camp, but i think there are cabins or something around there.

lakehouse restaurant in kerrville. catfish and homestyle cooking....maybe i think its better than it actually is b/c we always stop there after camping, but i really like this spot.

fredricksburg...WWII museum and an afternoon strolling around the main street. enchanted rock state park.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Inks Lake! Great place, and you can damn near pet the dear there.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If you like wine, you can make a solid 2 days out of wine tasting on Hwy 290 near Fredericksburg

7. Two Sandwiches

My mom suggested Inks Lake as well.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

State Park? Looks nice.

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I like hiking at inks lake, too.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Emailed you their info.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You know mom's are always right :)

12. Two Sandwiches

So, it looks like we'll be in town the last week of February/early March. I'm thinking we may drive out towards LBJ ranch, and then drive in towards San Antonio and hit some stops along the way. That's what my dad suggested at least. I was thinking we may hit some BBQ on the way?

We may make a long day of it or stay a night, not sure.

Any suggestions?

Gonna reqd back over the responses so far, as well.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sea world, natural caverns,six flags, and wildlife park.

14. Buck Turgidson

Garrison Brothers bourbon distillery in Hye (b/t Stonewall and Johnson City)

Whittington's store in JC makes the best jerky you've ever had (buy it there, don't buy the pre-packaged, pre-cut-up stuff, vastly inferior).

Torre de Pietra, Alexander are 2 of the better wineries in the area. Becker is great to visit, their wine is tolerable but the setup/scenery/ambiance is top notch.

Wildseed Farms is beautiful when things are blooming.

Nimitz Museum in FBurg. Navajo Grill, Nest, Vaudeville are good eateries, Auslander has good German fare. Hondo's and the Crossroads Saloon usually have a good band, Pecan St Brewery in JC has tasty beverages. If there's kids involved the Science Mill in JC is really cool.

Pedernales Falls State Park, Enchanted Rock, there's also an LCRA park on the river right in JC.

If you want the best hamburger in the world (the rest of their menu is great too) in an awesome setting, go to the Alamo Springs Cafe.

If you're gonna be north of 71 there's also a ton of great stuff in Llano & Burnet counties.