1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High percentage landing Paul Milsap to the Rockets according to ESPN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KALIKULI, Jun 30, 2017.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I mean Morey is so dumb he traded for Chris Paul instead of gutting the team and signing Chris Paul to a new contract that would be much higher than his current salary and also prevent us from receiving exceptions.

Because its better to have just Chris Paul than Chris Paul+Anderson+PJ Tucker+Nene.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Wouldn't the NG's with the ability of absorb a bad contract at $11m be an asset? I mean if we find a team really needing to dump a player we can take that player in exchange for a late future first. That's the only asset that I can think of that we can use not named Capela, Gordon or Ariza.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do the Rockets have any friends of Paul Millsap on the roster? CP being Ariza's friend, then Tucker being CP's friend.

Does PJ Tucker have any friends he can help recruit? We running this free agency like Amway.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

but unfortunately there are plenty of other teams like Phoenix and Sac-town that are willing to take on salary for assets or draft picks too. Don't we have some Euros stashed away somewhere? And would getting rid of the top-3 protection on the Clippers pick free us up to trade another pick (not that i would feel great about that)?

5. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

James Harden will retire a rocket

6. malakas

malakas Member

well right now Rockets aren't the only team trying to dump contracts.
    There's also Cavs, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Toronto, OKC, Blazers, Pelicans, Spurs, Wizards.
    The most desperate is Detroit.

So for this capspace of Sacramento, Phoenix, Atlanta etc there is very big competition.

RocketsMAN! and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  7. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

LOL

Excellent.

Gorki and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

What seems a bit strange to me is that for what we know only Denver is left after Millsap now, and one day after their meeting there's still no news...

malakas likes this.
  9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'd trade ryno + Cap to get Melo and Ego + NG's to get Milsap. We'd have to hunt for bench pieces but I'd do it if the idea is to go all in. Not sure if that'd be enough but that's pretty much all we have. If you could though I'd imagine filling out the bench with vets on minimum deals wouldn't be as hard.

Hakeemtheking and PatBev like this.
  10. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

The amount of people who are not grasping this concept is pretty damn frustrating.

roslolian, BigM and Aruba77 like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think you are overestimating Draymond. The reason Draymond can spend so much time doing other things is because he is a truly atrocious scorer playing with offensive monsters. Millsap is a significant contributor on rebounds, steals, blocks, assists, help defense, setting screens, diving for loose balls, maintaining a high energy level. Yes, Draymond is better at the combination of those things than Millsap, but Millsap is ten times the scorer. It's not close. And no, it's not that Draymond doesn't try. His EFFICIENCY is terrible on all shots. If Draymond can score more when needed, believe me Millsap can defend better when needed.

Overall, Draymond is better. Equally important, he will be better longer. But for these 2 next years, the gap is not big at all. I'm so comfortable with that match up and with Millsap's ability to raise everyone else up. It's odd you would say Draymond has superstar impact apart from scoring. Millsap is exactly that kind of player too, just less so. It's not like we're talking about Melo, who can only score, and has gotten progressively worse at scoring. We're talking about Millsap - the guy who people have been saying is not as good as he is for 10+ years now. He is the underdog, the fighter, the team player, the guy who has more impact than his numbers show. His teams have never underperformed, ever. At a time where the league is full of quitters from GM's to role players, we have to amass the fighters. The ones with chips on their shoulder. The ones who believe they can beat the odds.

For me, there is a 2 year window where Millsap can compete with top notch basketball players and make a major impact. Paul is 32. Harden is 28. Even if it costs us 1 undesirable year, we have to go for it. It's risk free and potent. With Melo there are risks. He does not take care of his fitness, he has not shown himself to be a team player, he's a diva not an underdog, he's going through family issues. Millsap will fit and he will fit well, we know it. And once that piece is secured, even more players will take the discount to fill out our bench because this won't be a team of divas. This is the team that's going to outWORK and outDEFEND the Warriors while playing the most fun basketball in the league.

Also, I always say, don't underestimate how much winning makes someone look better than they are. Love and Irving looked like champions a year ago, now people are talking about flipping them for Melo. Draymond was dangerously at odds with Kerr, risking team chemistry. Durant was a choker. Curry used to be fragile. Bosh was a stats-only player. When you amass talent that fits, there is a multiplier effect. This would go really well. Really really well. Millsap would look 2-3 years younger and so will Paul, especially under MDA.

Now I have to go focus my thoughts on willing this into existence. You with me @Vivi ?

#332 Mathloom, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Vivi and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  13. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Hahah... awesome.

But, in all seriousness, this probably deserves its own thread.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Extremely well put. Agree 100%

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Is this what is called a premium post around here?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Unbelievable acronym.

IDIOT

And I mean that with all sincerity.

xiki likes this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nope. Premium Posts are only posted by me

DonKnock, HakeemOnlyFan and Jontro like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh ok lol

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nonsense.

[​IMG]

20. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

PJ Tucker is ass