1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High percentage landing Paul Milsap to the Rockets according to ESPN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KALIKULI, Jun 30, 2017.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What does it mean to be 'tied'? I don't remember hearing much from Paul that suggested the Rockets were a possiblity. Also there's the ESPN article saying "high percentage of Millsap to Rockets".

My only point is that crazy things happen.

bobloblaw likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Millsap is from Louisiana don't forget. Being in Houston would allow him to be close, but not too close, to family he still has there.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Tied, linked to him, Rockets were being considered.

Anyways, Im not disagreeing with you. Of course we can sign Milsap without any rumors.

Plus Isn't that just the title of this thread but there isn't any actual article?

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

with Bima saying it's possible capwise. With Cod talking about "watch the birds" (we already got one raptor in Tucker; Milsap would be another bird). And with Doc coming out of retirement and not even cryptically tweeting about Milsap's salary "taking off", i've already drank the koolaid.

yep, i'm getting my hopes up; i'm all in.

BigM likes this.
  6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Rockets now at 10 players and $109 million dollars in salary leaving us about $16-$17 million before the apron.

Have to fill 4 more roster slots with talent.

Rockets still have full BAE and their $11 million dollar NGteed TPE to round out the roster.

The market for Millsap is drying up quick and the Rockets can look to pounce for say.... $25 million a year in a sign and trade?

I would rather have Melo.....and would rather trade for him.... butttttt

Best case scenario, S&T for Millsap, and hope Melo gets bought out and comes to the Rockets. 2 birds 1 stone.

HTX Ninja and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

CP3
    Harden/Gordon
    Melo/Ariza/Tucker
    Milsap
    Capela/Nene

??? Oh My....

Hakeemtheking and bilaal14 like this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Not happening

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  9. anchel

anchel Member

I absolutely prefer Millsap over Melo. C'mon, Millsap may be a top-20 in terms of overall winning impact. Today's Melo is very far from there.
    Millsap converts the Rockets into a top-10 defensive team inmediately, by the starts.

Hakeemtheking, Vivi and Pete Chilcutt like this.
  10. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

Hey, I was just putting the other posters roster down and dreaming of the possibilities.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

You wouldn't even want Melo if bought out? Why not dream of both?

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

What if morey can do a 3-4 team trade for Melo and Millsap. Gordon and Anderson could be used separately for each + the TPE to make up the 6mil on Melos contract

13. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Would be a great if we could add CP3, Millsap, and Tucker all in one offseason. We had Bev, Anderson, and Brewer playing those spots last year. The talent upgrade is unreal.

Hakeemtheking and Jayzers_100 like this.
  15. Aruba77

we need to keep Gordon. CP has had health issues and if he goes down, all we have is James; need to make sure we keep that Harden, Gordon, Paul backcourt trio. We do not get better if we ship Gordon off. Not sure folks understand how good he is and how important he is now that Lou and Bev are gone.

Gordon needs to stay! I don't think getting Milsap or Melo and losing Gordon is much of an upgrade ...if at all. it's a guards league, right now we have the best backcourt in the league. i don't want to give that up.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Millsap would really catapult us into Warrior territory. Are you kidding me? A 3rd scorer who averages 18 points and 5 assists who is also an ace defender?

When we go small:

Millsap
    Tucker
    Ariza
    Harden
    Paul

I'm almost inclined to give him $28m as long as the contract is on declining scale. 100m/4yrs, heavily front loaded, gets easier over time. If you take taxes and present value into account (getting more upfront) this works out fine.

But I don't have the slightest clue if we can achieve that.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

And you forget Gordon there (if you're not leaving him out on purpose), but anyway, an eight man rotation like:

Capela Nene
    Millsap
    Ariza Tucker
    Harden Gordon
    Paul

...holy **** tha would be amazing.

EDIT: i need to stfu because i should know it's not happening.

#277 Vivi, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  18. PatBev

PatBev Member

Go big or go home

"You ain't in the arms race then you on the ****ing sideline" - Morey

BHannes2BHonest and Caesar like this.
  19. Aruba77

That's the best rockets rotation since the 90's. Lunchpale as all hell; just dirty! Believe. It's happening.

Vivi likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Put me in the minority that actually thinks Melo is a better fit than Millsap.

Keep in mind that in the Rockets offense, the 4 will have to play deep on the wings, and be able to PNR to get off quick shots on the wing. Melo has a quick release and range to pick and pop.

Obviously Melo would do more in the offense than what Ryno does now, but if CP3 and Harden are on the court at the same time, having the 4 man in that Pistol set is crucial.

Millsap is really really good but in the Rockets offense honestly I see him as the backup 5 in small lineups for him to be most successful.

AirBud#10 likes this.