1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High Draft Pick or Make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketblaze, Aug 14, 2009.

?

which scenerio would you pick?

1. High draft pick

197 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Make the playoffs

208 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

From the title of this thread which one of these scenarios would you guy's rather have:

High draft pick
    Pro: We could get a high draft pick in a strong draft, and draft a possible franchise player like John Wall, Derrick Flavors, etc....ala San Antonio

Con: We would have to suffer through a horrible season, and die a little inside....

or

Make the playoffs
    Pro: Our players can make some noise in the playoffs and gain some more experience.....and media attention in the playoffs

Con: we most likely would be eliminated by either San Antonio, Los Angeles, Portland, or Denver in the first round.....and gain nothing from it, but "experience"

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

no tanking. Were going to get Wade anyways. who needs john wall. :cool:

3. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

If your going to go against not making the playoffs then your not a fan. Everybody should want their team to succeed regardless of who is or isn't playing.

Just remember in the Playoffs anything is possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Golden State Beat Dallas

Houston Rockets will beat................. (TBD) :D :D :D

4. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Make the playoffs, plain and simple......At the moment we are the Waiting for our superstars to comeback from Injuries mode. It also all depends on what moves we make, I mean.

-Are we going to Trade Tracy McGrady?
    -Are We going to trade Shane Battier?
    -Are we going to re-sign T-Mac next season?
    -Are we going to pick up better players in general?

It all depends, currently I cannot tell how things will shape up, but the only thing I am currently going to say is Do not Tank ever. This Rocket team is good enough to at least make the 8th seed since everybody will underestimate them in the beginning of the season anyways. In my opinion, the Rockets will end up making the 8th seed over the Phoenix Suns in the end.

1 person likes this.
  5. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I don't think we should tank to get a high draft pick, but if it plays out that way, I prefer the pick instead of squeaking into the playoffs and getting eliminated in the first round.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd rather make the playoffs. I hate watching the lottery.

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

“I want to be in Miami, and I hope everything works out that way,” Wade said Thursday. “I want to be one of those players that stays with one franchise for his entire career.”

"Next year will be a big year for myself and for the team, but the plan has always been to stay with the Heat, and that’s still the plan,” he said. “I think everything will work out.”

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Draft pick. Its time we stop clinging to false hope, its time to rebuild.

You do not pass up a good draft like this.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

HOW MANY FRIGGIN "DO THE ROCKETS TANK OR NOT?" THREADS DO WE NEED? DIDN'T WE HAVE SEVERAL ON THE SAME TOPIC JUST A LITTLE WHILE AGO?

11. Tmac1KD35

Tmac1KD35 Member

Gotta try to make the playoffs, Cant have a give up attitude

12. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

i would love to see that happen but i wonder how thats going to happen. Getting a high draft pick is going to result in salary cap hell. We already have 2 max out players. High draft pick results in lots and lots of $$$$$$

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Didn't we have a similar thread like this last week in which we were debating heavily about this?

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree with Carl, this subject has been beaten like a dead horse, but my point was not to tank & to look like winners to attract FAs next year.

I was tired of hearing everyone use the T word, no not TMac, & I wouldn't to put my opinion out there.

This is gettin a little ridiculous that we are so bored this offseason that we speak on the same matter just stated differently. :rolleyes:

15. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Its the offseason what do you expect. The Garm has been slightly normal ever since Yao has been out. I wonder how quiet its going to be. Plus theres not that many news going on in the NBA period. Football is here!!!!!!!

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why would it put us in salary cap hell when the NBA has a rookie wage scale, McGrady's deal is expiring, and Yao's final year on his deal is next year.

17. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

You play to win.... :rolleyes:

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

No tanking. Play to win darn it, tanking is losers talk. I would rather be excited about over achieving than get have nothing to look forward for a whole year other than a high draft peak. I don't want to throw away a whole year for a draft pick, I watch to see our Rockets give their heart out. I expect nothing less than 110% from our group of players.

19. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Why are you even asking this question?
    Of course, take the chance to win a championship any day over a lottery pick.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Isn't John Wall playing for Kentucky?