1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, I don't usually do this

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulftsk, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I had the same line of questioning thrown at me (like SwolyD's)when I asked for donations to help my family to get my mom help. I was, and still am gracious and thankful for the generosity of clutchfans, but there are some on here that want to donate and dictate how their donation is spent or just come in to place doubt in the cause. I was not dishonest in how the money was used and all the money went to help with my moms living situation.

I didn't mind being asked how the money was being spent, but reading between the lines, it was made to seem like I pulled one over on the generosity of clutchfans...and that sucked because that made many suspicious and donations stopped coming in...regardless of my explanation of how the money was used.

So, either donate or don't and get off this thread. I don't understand why some have to attach condition to their generosity.

Good Luck getting enough donations for your friends cat. I wish I could give, but I'm on a very tight budget because of Mom's condition.

2. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Ah, I see. Well, she got Lebron to keep her other cat company while she went off to work and school. And she understands responsibility, but it's difficult to predict and finance freak $4,000 accidents, especially as a college student.

And no need to be condescending, Swoly. I've always liked you as a poster, so be chill. If you don't want to help, I can't blame you. It's hard to read something on the internet and feel compelled to help. I just thought CF was a tight knit community that could brighten my friend's day a bit.

3. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

God bless, bro. You and your family are facing something on a much higher and difficult level than what my friend is going through. There's not even a comparison. T

hanks for the kind words :) if you ever want to grab a beer, I got you fosho

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

See below...

5. Falcons Talon

And judgemental, and then try to justify and use a ;):grin::eek::rolleyes: or whatever it is. No thanks. Please don't quote him. I'd prefer not to read his posts anymore.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'm not quite sure how SwoLy-D feels about this thread. Perhaps he should post more and let us all know.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't think I am being condescending at all when I know how tough it's been going through having a family, paying for bills, raising a family, and not even having a cent to pay for a pet... and never having to ask anyone for money if one of my kids or pets goes through an unfortunate injury. I'm no better than you or that girl, but at least I'm not getting more and more pets and then asking for money.

I'm just trying to tell you that it's a bit contradictory on her behalf to say she's a "college debtor" bu she has two cats she's raising. I understand her plight. So she had to get another cat for companion for the first... and doubling her food and care bills was OK?

At one point or another, you have to really think about what's best for these pets AND yourself. You can't keep doing this and then resorting to strangers' money because you're not thinking straight about the future. Come on, now.

:confused: You know what I mean, breh?

Yeah, don't quote me, man. You can just say: "SwoLy, [this or that]"... please ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE who don't want to hear someone's opinion! Bow down to THEIR wishes!

1 person likes this.
  8. Falcons Talon

Thanks God Clutch enabled the ignore list. Some people are just toxic.

#48 Falcons Talon, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think it's fine to ask. There is no need to be condescending. People can decide for themselves if they want to support this cause. I have given to other causes here like a funeral and some other things. While I understand the cat is important to her, this is probably not a cause I am going to donate for, simply because it doesn't touch me personally as much as some of the other causes that have been presented here.

Anyway, paulftsk, I think you forgot to answer one question -
    have you tapped that?

10. SwoLy-D

Sure, it's fine to ask, AroundTheWorld. Then it's fine to question why asking, too, no?

I bet you're reading this, Falcons Talon. :grin:

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I guess some people might think it comes across as a bit judgmental and condescending as far as the tone is concerned, but when you ask people for money, you open yourself up to questions, I think it is only fair. But you have stated your point now, haven't you?

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Similarly I've given to Falcon and a few other people on here. And similar to you I'm not going to donate for someone's cat, legitimate or not. But I think that last part is key simply because Clutchfans has been burned before from someone else asking for money. Of course there are different ways to try to get to that answer but I think it's perfectly fair to ask questions to determine the legitimacy.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. Falcons Talon

Thanks Yonkers. I don't have a problem with being questioned on how the money is being used. Personally, I had no problem sharing the information on how the donations were used or answering questions. It's when members introduced doubt as, or are judgemental. Once that bug is put in someones ear, it's there. For example, when we hired a carpenter to make a viewing portal so dad could keep an eye on mom when he was in the kitchen and she was in living room, it was said that the money went to remodeling the house. The connotation being that we were using the money for luxury upgrades.

15. mig0s

mig0s Member

Why can't your friend get another cat? People are giving them for free on craigslist. It's just a cat. She doesn't really give a fk about you.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

For a second there, I thought OP was asking people to donate their money to pay for a friend's pet cat's leg surgery.

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

he's asking money for lebron

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

This is like a Shark Tank episode.

Chris Bosh: For Lebron? I'm out
    Dwayne Wade: I'm out
    Mark Cuban: I'll give you $500 for 51% ownership.

19. SwoLy-D

LOLs.

Also: OLD sig is OLD. :grin:

20. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Hey guys, just wanted to post a quick update. After literally hours of trying to convince my friend to give LeBron up to the SPCA, she finally went through with it (she objected initially because the SPCA is a kill shelter, and her cat could potentially be out down).

She gave back all of the money, by the way. Thanks for all of the advice and kind words, brahs.