1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hi, I don't usually do this

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulftsk, Oct 20, 2014.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

Keyword Pets....

Put it to sleep and get a new one.

This coming from a family man w/ Kids with pets (Dogs, Fish, Birds)...

You can save what 20-60 cats w/ $4,000 or just save one? You decide.

2. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

She's that big, huh? So like 2/10?

3. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

I've never done a funding thing (I wasn't even aware that these things existed outside of kickstarter), but I'm pretty sure you don't have to donate 4k all at one time. And yeah, that's a lot of money for a low income family trying to put their daughter through college.

If y'all can't donate, I would understand completely. But try to refrain from saying rude things. I gave her the link to this thread... It seems like a lot of posters are losing touch of propriety on here nowadays.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They actually need enough height to do this, allegedly. I'm not sure this is legit, but about five years ago, some people compiled a ton of data from falling cat accidents, and the injuries were *worse* for under six stories than *over* six stories.

There's a radiolab piece about this that claims to "debunk" myths about it, but I haven't listened to it yet. So they may lay waste to the typical claim I put above.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

you're right, you're not being insensitive. An insensitive comment would be like "oh couldn't they just get by on 3 legs?". To say your comment is idiotic would be an insult to some of the regular GARM posters.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Thanks Obama!

7. Nook

Nook Member

$4,000 to save an animal?

Have to "raise money" to pay for it?

NOPE

Animals are not people.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

You arent human

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Did you try your quick release on her, breh?

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

All she would have to do is search for your old posts to see why not one is taking your sorry ass seriously.

11. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Haha like a lot of my friends who are into basketball, she's seen them. Try not to take things too seriously, bud. This is a basketball forum. Rule #1: don't let the internet upset you

12. Buck Turgidson

I understand the attachment between owner and pet, but I pretty much have to agree with this. See also: Wrath of Khan, Spock.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Pet owners should take full responsibility of their pets. If they can't do that financially, then they aren't ready to own a pet.

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm sure this girl is a competent pet owner. It's ludicrous to say that those who cannot afford $4000 surgeries for their pets don't deserve to own said pets. This is kind of like the adoption commercials all over TV. There are much worse pet owners in the world who wouldn't take them to the vet for a $100 surgery.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Call it whatever you want... rude, mean, inhuman, etc., but... how can you justify $4000 for the medical bills? Was it just a "hunch"? Are they really going to use all that money for the bills or something else? What guarantees do we have to get an update on how that cat is doing later? How can we know that's exactly what's being paid?

This part sounds a bit fishy:
    So why buy or even keep a cat you have to care for, feed, take to vet, etc., when you're in debt? :confused:

Now you have to ask for money because the kitty is injured when you didn't take care of it?

16. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Haha no, it wasn't a hunch. In the link that I provided in the op, it should say that they took the cat to the ER at Vergi animal clinic or something. LeBron got x rays and everything. My friend is currently on the way to A&M to speak to vets there, because their orthopedic operations are supposed to be cheaper than the one here in Houston (Gulf Gate or something? I forgot the name).

My friend is definitely updating the link with pictures and statuses as she receives them. If you're worried about fraud she can definitely provide proof and verify whatever. Also, where did you get that second quote from haha. I never said that?

And cats are supposed to be pretty independent, so you don't have to be around them 24/7. She was actually with me and some friends playing flag football when LeBron got hurt. I know I digress, but y'all are welcome to come play flag with us if y'all want. :) we're getting up there in age, so we're trying to be as active as we can before we hit 25+ haha.

17. SuraGotMadHops

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XjX4Ole8rDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm sure she takes care of her pet well, but I don't agree with asking people to foot the bill for her cat's surgery. Her cat, her responsibility.

I say that with plenty of love for animals and the most compassion I can. I hope the cat does well.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know why Paul gets a bad rep. He's a cool dude

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

From her "gofundme" post. :eek:

Owns TWO (not just one, but two) cats, needs help for one. How about just give it up? I'm glad you linked her to this thread. She could take a lot of advice from some of us responsible owners NOT asking other people for money we should have.

[​IMG]