1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Pink Floyd fans!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Nov 7, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 November 2001
    Models appear body-painted with covers of Pink Floyd albums during the launch of the British band's best-of-album 'Echoes' in Cologne on Friday, 02 November 2001. The album features 26 songs from the band's 35-year history and will be on sale world wide on Monday November 05. AFP PHOTO EPA-DPA/JOERG CARSTENSEN AFP/JOERG CARSTENSEN/car/ao/mr

how's this for a psychedelic breakfast?

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yum!!!

But if you have anything from "The Piper At the Gates of Dawn" through "The Wall" (Which I have ;) ) you really don't need "Echoes".

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Cool. Too bad David Gilmour recently stated that he doesn't plan on stadium touring with the band any time soon, i.e. he was perfectly content not touring. I wonder if this means we've seen the last of Pink Floyd on the touring circuit? Gawd....I HOPE NOT!

I plan on picking this one up...didn't even know about it. I love Pink Floyd and I especially love to play along on guitar in a state of confusion :cool: .

thanks

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my first concert ever:

Pink Floyd, April 5, 1994.
    Rice Stadium

the skies opened up during "Wish YouWere Here" and we got a
    laser light show from GOd.

favorite album is Meddle

5. cometsluv4play

if that is true that they will not tour again........i am soooo glad i saw that last tour TWICE!!! the Rice Stadium one and in Dallas at the Rangers Stadium. ...BTW, the houston one was way cooler with the light show by God......Dallas got two more songs and the gaint disco ball one more time, but the lightning was priceless......simply priceless:)

6. Elvis Costello

I saw Pink Floyd's flood show at Rice, too. I was in the upper deck and the clouds were dipping just over us as the lightening and rain rolled in...impressive stuff. The bad part was that I parked by Magic Island and had a nice and soggy hike to endure. The actual band doesn't really need to be at their concerts, by the way. If they can tour as Pink Floyd without Roger Waters, then why not forgoe the charade and play with anyone...the lights are the show. It is not as if they actually try and play anything different from the recorded versions.

7. rockHEAD

It looks like ECHOES will actually be the 'final cut' for Pink Floyd...check out this quote from an online article I found, "I never want to say we're done completely, but we may be," says Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour. "With the length of time since we've done something together, it just doesn't feel like something I've missed very much. I don't want to be touring anymore. I'm fifty-five; it's a young man's game."

wow... it really IS the 'final cut'...
    rH

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Did Roger Waters get back with the band?

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw them at the Astrodome for their second to last tour and saw them at Texas stadium for their last tour. Both shows were amazing.

It is sad to hear David Gilmour throw in the towel with no farewell tour! As far as Pink Floyd just being about the lights, that is just not true. In my opinion, Pink Floyd is nothing without David Gilmour. I could care less about Roger Waters.

I have been to a few laser light shows just playing Pink Floyd music(one with a hot chick playing saxophone solos during it) and they pale in comparison to the real thing. These shows usually come through Houston and tour the states. I've seen the planetarium show as well. Nothing is nearly as good as seeing the band live.

No more new PF albums...no more tours...no nothing :( . 55 is too young to have that kind of attitude...maybe at 60. Even if he doesn't tour, what about making a new album? We can hope for a new album. Maybe they can film a show and put it out on DVD.

Surf

10. rockHEAD

I've recently re-discovered Pink Floyd.
    I've always enjoyed The Wall and knew of other Floyd stuff... but just recently I have begun to appreciate Wish You Were Here and others. I even enjoy the later stuff without Roger Waters... I'm heading to the used CD shoppes this weekend, gonna add to my Floyd catalog.

shine on,
    rH

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Learning to Fly is my second favorite song of all-time.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

RH just a list to help you remember…

The Piper At the Gates of Dawn - August 1967
    A Saucerful of Secrets - June 1968 - Must have
    More - July 1969
    Ummagumma - October1969 - Must Have - Must Have
    Atom Heart Mother - October 1970
    Meddle - November 1971
    Obscured by Clouds - June 1972
    Wish You Were Here - September 1975
    Animals January 1977 - Must Have (Probably my favorite)

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The pre-crazy Sid Barrett stuff is IMO the best. It's may be a little bit less well-refined, but it has a kind of a sweet, child-like sound. Stuff like Arnold Layne, Cirrus Minor, or Paint Box

Also, check out a song called Paranormal Echoes by Olivia Tremor Control. I laugh every time I hear it because I've never heard anybody come close to stylisticaly copying Floyd and this song absolutely NAILS mid 70's Dark Side Of The Moon type Floyd IMO. Check it out on Morpheus or whatever if your really hardcore.