1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Here's a Rockets' possibility for that big man you have all been clamoring for!:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/455337p-383202c.html

Taylor, Knicks eye fast break

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Maurice Taylor's days with the Knicks appear to be numbered. According to a league source, the Knicks and Taylor's representatives are trying to negotiate a buyout that would make the veteran forward a free agent.
    Taylor is entering the final season of a multiyear contract and is due $9.8 million. Knicks president/coach Isiah Thomas conceivably could wait until the February trading deadline to try to deal Taylor's expiring contract, which is what the club did last season with Penny Hardaway.

But Thomas also wants to rid his roster of veteran players whose minutes will be dramatically reduced. Taylor figures to be low on the depth chart behind forwards Channing Frye, David Lee and Malik Rose. Also, newcomer Jared Jeffries can play both forward positions.

The 6-8 Taylor averaged a career-low 18.1 minutes in 67 games last season. He is averaging 9.8 points and 3.2 rebounds in eight NBA seasons.

Interestingly, former coach Larry Brown last season tried to persuade management to cut players because he felt it would improve team chemistry. Taylor and backup center Jerome James were two players Brown wanted off the team. Brown also talked about wanting to release Jalen Rose and rookie guard Nate Robinson as well.

Jalen Rose also is entering the last year of his contract and is a prime candidate to be traded by the deadline. There also is a possibility that the Knicks would look to buy out Rose's contract if Quentin Richardson cannot be traded. Over the summer, the Knicks came close to trading Richardson to Portland for Darius Miles, a player with a history of having a negative impact on team chemistry as well as the won-lost record.

With Taylor still on the roster, the Knicks have 15 players under contract. That includes the team's two first-round picks, Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins, but does not include Qyntel Woods, who is a free agent. The Knicks open training camp Oct. 2 in Charleston, S.C.

Originally published on September 24, 2006

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

As bad as this is, Mo Taylor is better on offense than Juwan or Chuck. I'm not saying that we should sign him, but he would be an improvement on the offensive end and can play center if we needed him to.

3. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Is it true the Mo was traded away partly because he had a drinking problem? I know the Rockets tried to clear cap room but I also heard Mo got a drinking problem at that time.

4. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Remember Month was on the IR his last months here?

No interest in him. Another weak D PF. Too similar to Juwan.

5. kingkow

kingkow Member

He plays like Juwan, very poor/no D.

He had some motivational problems before is that right?

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

i think this is the guy to go after if wells is not coming.

7. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

actually mo taylor is worse on offense and a worse rebounder and defender than juwan howard. we have no use for him.

let's sign and trade for melvin ely. he is a very serviceable big man who is able to play backup center. let's take advantage of the bonzi wells situation. we don't need bonzi wells to come here for a year. he won't make us a contender right away. he will take away playing time of our young players. i'm not saying they are good. i say they need playing time to develop and for the management to judge who belongs on this team. let bonzi go to the bobcats. even help them get him by trading for ely. we will be better off in the long term. after all bonzi's game isn't that suited for our team anyways.

8. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I have always rooted for Mo I guess because so many of you hate him. But I would not mind having him back in the fold.

However, I dont think that JVG would ever swollow his pride and bring him back though. (especially since he really doesnt "need" too).

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I'd rather get Melvin Ely from the Bobcats.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The question is not whether the Rox should sign him (they shouldn't, and won't) but whether Mo will even find a place on a roster before injuries saddle a team mercilessly.

11. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I thought the same thing about Q Woods but as free agent he hasn't gotten a whiff, pretty damning that the the sorry Knicks don't want you either. He has size, athleticism, respectable numbers and he has kept his nose clean so you wonder why but I guess the scouting report on the guy is that he's not that good.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Agree, Bickerstaff really wants Ely back so unless contract negotiations with Ely collapse he isn't going anywhere. Bonzi is a little bit of a fifth wheel and we do need a good PF like Ely before picking up someone like Bonzi for a one year deal.

13. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

i think we need to target Ely before Bonzi, b/c i don't think Deke and Haryasz are gonna cut it. MoTay plays less D than JuHo.

here's a poll that someone should start:

who would you rather have for $2.1M: Bonzi, or a bought-out Jalen Rose?

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Van Gundier:

"Remember Month was on the IR his last months here?"

Yes - he was in Mr. Van Gundy's dog house.

For the league minimum he could help - though it will never happen-Van gundy hates him. Mo did come to camp in shape and always had Yao's back. Better enforcer type that we have had since. Juwan- soft like stay puff.

We have other p[layers on the roster that I can question if they sould be in the NBA:

Ryan Bowen
    Juwan HOward
    Rookie Novack
    Dikembe Mutombo
    Vassilis Spanoulas
    JL3
    2 other guards I refuse to know their name-they won't be here long enough to matter

We have no depth

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Just a lazy guy, plain and simple. He might have been a Rudy T guy, but he's definitely not someone that will co-exist with JVG, Yao, T-Mac, or Battier; these four guys have something in common, and that is a certain work ethic that Mo Taylor, sadly, lacks.

#15 tigermission1, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  16. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

actually, Mo had his best year as a rocket during JVG's first year. He was a scoring machine off the bench for us. The following year, he was definately in the dog house though. I don't know what happened to bring about such a change (possibly JVG just really preferred Juwan's attitude), but he did play well under jvg, at least for a little while.

17. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Mo Taylor sucks. He is a PF who thinks he is a pg. Always thinking he can cross people over, and he is like derek anderson, a ballhog.

Anyways even though I think he sucks he is still a nice guy and he loves Houston. He goes up to the Lifetime gym alot, and from my scouting he has absolutley nothing. But I know he would love to come back to Houston cause he still has a house here and his family. When he was traded he tried to sell his home for like 2mil, I think it's still on the market.

Anyways I definitly don't want to see him in a Rockets Uni again.

But yah, you all should get memberships to lifetime in the katy area if you like playing basketball. There are so many pro stars and athletes that are regulars there in the offseason. Moochie,Brian Skinner, Vince Young and the QB from ATM and Mo Taylor to name a few, with tons of college players.

#17 Realjad, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What is the big deal with Melvin Ely?

Why does everyone want him som badly?

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

An inefficient scorer, turnover-prone, and a poor rebounder. His PER the last two years has been 9.4 and 8.6. I'd rather keep Haryasz on the roster and see what he can give us. He played well in the preseason.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think Mo ever really recovered from that bad injury he had.