1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey, Evangelical Atheists - Just Shut Up Please

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Aug 8, 2012.

1. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Your username almost makes me believe in God.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Then this thread has nothing to do with them.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If this is what you have to say..then you've missed the entire point of the article you posted. You're being rude here and its tantamount to the tone of the Atheists that the writer was complaining about. Please treat others with respect on the boards and you may receive some back - after all..its the Christian thing to do right?

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yeah, it's agnostics and atheist that are the assholes
    That condescension is just mean

[​IMG]

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Religions=brainwash, literature written by men frabricating, twisting facts(that they didn't understand at that time period) into fairy tales.

Atheist=is the foundation of pure research for truth that created real medicine and science that are helpful for a positive evolution of the civilization of humankind

It's pisses me off with these religious freaks who thanks GODS for saving their lives instead of the doctors or scientific researches are the real reason that they are alive.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm not Christian and nothing i've said has been disrespectful -- just honest.

7. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

imo - it boils down to whether or not you view religion as having a positive long term effect on humanity. if you think it has value - its easy to tolerate as a human expression of hope.

if you dont believe religion has a long term value on humanity, then you have a dilema - help free others from their brainwashed state or tolerate the continued suspension of thought.

what would christopher hitchens do?

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Cool bro, thank you for your approval. Proud of being a closet atheist.

Now, if I may throw in a wrench ... don't flame me

Why Churches, Mosque, Temple are very ok? Why it is ok for those old ladies coming to my porch every once awhile to check whether I have pondered enough to become a believer? Why openly preaching religion is very ok.

On the other hand, when it comes from the opposite side, the openess is gone. The old ladies got really offended when I had to speak my mind, it's all defensive once I open up from the other side. I imagine the writer of the article would call 911 if the evangilical atheists go to his/her porch every sunday to preach atheism.

Again, whose arrogance are we talking about.

Why?

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Spot on to you.

No beliefs. Everything happens in random according to physics, chemistry, or whatever it is. Happily ever and after. :grin:

However, having a true belief is a beautiful thing, and belief should be personal, right?

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Physics, entropy, evolution, neural network.... something

Faith fills up the big holes of insecurity and uncertainty. It's too bad that it takes claims of certainty to make it work.

1 person likes this.
  11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Bill Mahr says that insecurity is a result of childhood trauma.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Got better? Wow, that's incredibly specific...:rolleyes:
    So how did you figure out how to be "good" in society if you didn't follow the bible's teachings?

13. right1

right1 Member

I've never been to the doctor. And both my children were born at home with midwives. I don't think doctors or scientific researches are the reason they are alive. :confused:

14. Major

Major Member

Never mind that many of those scientists and doctors believe in God and religion.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Uh you get clean water now thanks to scientific advances. You have access to better nutrition, technology, disease surveillance, etc..

Even if you've never seen a doctor, you've benefited from medical and scientific advances.

Do you think rises in life expectancy over the span of human history were created by magic?

16. right1

right1 Member

There are a lot of doctors at the churches I've attended. Doctors without borders is a wonderful organization. http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

17. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Are you suggesting that people cannot be "good" in society without the bible's influence?

While I admire the good book as a source of history and parables, I do not view it as a necessity for regulating or teaching behavior. There are plenty of good people in the world who have no interest or background in Christianity just as there are plenty who are bad that do.

18. right1

right1 Member

I live in the Amazon. My tribe has no access to these scientific advances of which you speak. However, our drinking water is clean (except when oil and timber companies pollute our clean water source) Our life expectancy has actually decreased since they have encroached into our forest with their technological advancements. We thank the Great Spirit, Our Creator, for being alive, not your doctors, your oil tycoons, your lumberjacks or your scientists.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Religion and god have nothing to do with the process that lead to advances in medicine.

I don't remember "pray" being a step in the scientific method.

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

If you actually came from such a tribe, you could thank whoever you wanted... but your life expectancy (and quality of living) would suck compared to societies with modern scientific advancements.

Your argument is beyond useless. You're essentially saying "because people thank ___, ___ is true".