1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's to you, Les Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I don't know if the McGrady trade will go through. But the fact that we've gone after it so aggressively forces me to stand up and salute our owner for rolling the dice and going for it all. Time and again, he takes risks and gives up good players for the chance at great ones.

Four guys for Barkley? Didn't get us a championship, but it sure didn't cost us one, and it was a hell of a gamble. Well-timed, too, considering the size of the contracts Cassell and Horry got a year or two later.

Four guys for Francis and change? Great move. We cashed out Michael Dickerson and Othella Harrington when they were still worth something, and Francis brought us tremendous talent.

Three picks for Eddie Griffin? Disastrous. But none of us saw his collapse coming, and I won't play the hindsight game against a move this gutsy. If it had worked out, we'd have three top-notch players in our starting five.

Now three starters for McGrady. Once again, Les sees greatness and goes after it with all the goodies he can offer. I don't think he conceived any of these deals, but he's the one who has to sign off on them, and lots of owners are too scared of alienating their fans or making a mistake.

Well, we've made our mistakes. And we'll make more. But if you don't go for it all, you'll never get it. Here's to you, Mr. Alexander.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

SPLASH !!!

We may not have Mark Cuban as an owner, but Les sure is trying to win.....

Yao + TMac is a great start.

DD

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Way to go, Les!

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Don't forget about the Clyde trade! :)

Les has been a really great owner who's not afraid to make the big move. He's made some great risks though the years...given the situation at that point in time, that 3 for 1 trade for griffin is a good bold move IMO.

#4 ChenZhen, Jun 21, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Seriously, if we do land T-Mac...I expect the headline on ClutchFans.net to be "SPLASH!"

6. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Put Pippen in the Griffin category, but a bold move nonetheless. (hmmm, they wear the same number, don't they?)

7. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Let's retire OT's jersey before it is too late!

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you Will.

I don't know what all of these "Les is a cheap b*stard" comments are based on. He has stepped up again and again.

I am glad somebody with credibilty sets the record with truth.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

so #33 is now cursed? :D

10. sup123

sup123 Member

I called Les cheap and Cd dumb before. But know Les has become a damn good owner and Cd smart. :) :D :) :D

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It is so nice to be the fan of a franchise that is actually trying to win! :) :D

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Les has been a damn good owner all these years

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That's because you don't have a concept of perspective. You can't know some history of the Rocket's with these 2 guiding the franchise and have those kinds of thoughts. Will just mentioned why and he forgot the trade for Pippen. Bold moves are pretty common with these guys.

14. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Thanks Les for Super Mario!

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I hope the goodness continues with the MLE and TE.

16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Now we as fans need to reward him with at least 30 and hopefully 41 sellouts...

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Les is a great owner. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves because

1.) he's a New Yorker

2.) he doesn't have the personality of a Bob McNair

He's proved throughout his tenure as owner he's willing to do whatever it takes to win a championship. He made the Drexler deal, the bold barkley trade, the pippen trade, which at the time was great.

Not only does this deal improve the team, it improves the rockets image. The rockets will have just as many if not more games than any other team on national television. If Shaq leaves LA, you can guarantee Houston will lead the pack. The toyota center oughta be packed next year too. TMac and Yao on the same floor. It's a good day to be a rockets fan.

Hopefully on the 10th anniversery of our first championship we'll celebrate by making the TMac deal official

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

41? Plus another 10 or so in the spring.

19. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Rox should do whatever to get McGrady then you will have the McGrady/Yao combo to form a foundation for the team and then people (good players) will want to come and play for them.

Francis and Mobley are not fundamental players and I had said this time and time again during the season. You need fundamental players to play the game right and Francis turn over too much and don't even know how to pass the ball...Mobley taking quick shots....i wouldn't mind giving them away. Taylor is another guy i will ship out cuz he's too one dimensional and has low IQ in the game. I would ship Taylor to Orlando instead of Cato.

20. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Why is it when I read this title, I could hear the theme song for the "Real Men of Genuis" beer commercials?