1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

here's a thought

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by d-rocafella, May 2, 2002.

1. d-rocafella

d-rocafella Member

After the Timberwolves dissapointing playoffs with yet another 1st round elimimation and all the critizism Garrnett has been taking for not leading his team past the 1st round do you think his time in Minnesaota is done. With what critics of his were saying, and how he responded to those critics it seems to me that his trime in Minnesota may be done. I think we are the only team that can offer them the bst deal for his services. With two draft picks in the upper half of the draft we could give them something that they wont have for the next few years. If Minnesota is serious about starting over which I belive they are then they should be inclined to package him to us for both of our first round picks and Glen Rice. With Garrnett, Francis, and Mobley we are a serious threat to win the Finals next year.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Oh boy...:rolleyes: ...looks like someone forgot to set his clock ahead last month

3. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

Teams rebuilding they don't dump their franchise player??? They dump his supporting cast however many times it takes to get it right. Besides Kevin has been "the man" in minnesota for so long he thinks he is a god. He wouldnt gel with our team chemistry...

O Ya PLEASE!!! O PLEASE LET TORONTO LOSE!!!!!!

Ahhh I feel much better now:D

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

While I agree that Minnesota wouldn't trade Garnett, the whole Kevin thinks he's God and that he wouldn't gel with this team is way, way, way off. First of all, the Rockets chemistry only exists off the court. The ball movement on this team is pathetic, and that's a result of poor chemistry on the floor. Garnett, is all about team chemistry. You made it sound like he's some egotistical maniac with the whole God statement. How many big forwards do you know who average 5 apg? You should pay more attention to what Kevin says and does because he always talks about his team being like a family. If Garnett were on the Rockets, I imagine the team chemistry would improve instead of being disrupted. We need a guy like Garnett to bring this team together.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

d-roc,

Welcome to the board. This idea has been discussed ad naseum recently on the board. The number of threads, and replies in them, concerning any sort of discussion about KG has been large.

In case you were wondering others thoughts, here are some recent threads.

Nowitzki-Garnett 1:0

GARNETT TO MILWAUKEE??????

Trading for Kevin Garnett

Francis/Cat/Odom/Garnett/Cato a reality?

What would you give for Kevin Garnett?

I'm sure there are more. :D

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

sometimes i wonder if people watch basketball or just read boxscores...

kevin garnett's problem is not that he's some egomaniacal, god complex having hog. kevin garnett's problem is that he is TOO unselfish. KG does not know when to take over a game, prefering to play "within the system" and "get everyone involved." it's the reason he and wally szczerbiak have had clashes. wally is a hog that believes in getting his first. KG wants wally to get his, but only within the system. KG is a system player...not in the sense that he is a product of flip saunder's system...but in the sense that he wants to be an integral part OF a system.

that said, he WOULD fit in on this team. a player that WANTS AND NEEDS to be in a system to be comfortable? that's precisely what we need, considering we really don't HAVE a system: unless you call isolations and dribbling exhibitions a system.

could we get KG? possibly, imo. it would take quite a bit, though, because minnesota knows that KG is a great player. you're probably looking at having to give up:

1) #5
    2) 2 future #1s (unprotected)
    3) kenny thomas
    4) steve francis (resigned, that is)

that's three 1st rounders, steve francis, and kenny thomas. anything less than that, imo, and the t-wolves could do better.

think that's giving up too much? well, you might be right. but there is one fact that cannot be denied: 7 footers with the physical abilities that kevin garnett possesses are not a dime a dozen.

however, point guards are becoming a dime a dozen. kenny thomas is redundant on our squad. and minnesota needs 1st round picks in order to build.

with a backcourt of steve and wally to build around, coupled with kt in the frontcourt, a #1 pick in this year's draft, and 2 future #1s, minnesota could rebuild to being a better team.

houston? well, we have:

PG: ?
    SG: mobley
    SF/PF: griff
    PF/SF: KG
    C: cato

is that better than what we currently have? to me, yes. a versatile big man that happens to be one of the best defenders in the league, imo, trumps a backcourt of 2 SGs and no defensive interior presence.

7. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

okok so I was off with the God statement....geez!! It just scares me that he is the T'wolves franchise player....we already have a franchise player. Would he take the transition well from being "the man" for a team to passing to "the man" on another team?? Thats all I meant I like KG and his work ethics, but he does have somewhat of an ego....everyone does. Just worries me that we would make a big move to get him and have it spoil "cough""cough" Pippen"cough" :D

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Right, just like every other dreamer in the league thinks their team can offer them the best deal for KG.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and let me add

:rolleyes:

9. FyahHot

FyahHot Member

Are you serious? :eek: I think KG would quite easily be "the man" on most of the teams in the league. There aren't many players with his combination of skills.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

RocketFan....from what i've seen and read about KG, i think you're talkin bout the other KG..KENDALL GILL. garnett, like verse said, is TOO UNSELFISH which equates to little ego. he's a team player and tries to get his teammates involved. the knock on him is that he sometimes need to realize when to stop gettin his teammates in volved and when to turn it up during crunch time. honestly i would trade them steve and misc for garnett. like verse said again, big men are valuable today whereas PGs come and go.

11. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

How could they possible ask for that much for KG? 3 1st round picks and one of the top rising PG's in the league? We trade a top 20 player AND a top 5 picks AND 2 future first round picks AND a solid roleplayer in KT?

I think a more realistic deal for both sides would be:

1) Griffin (he's their replacement at PF and has a solid future)
    2) our first pick (which is 5 or 6 in all likelihood...but the value of this pick will be decided when we see where we are in the draft)
    3) Mo Taylor, Mooch and Rice (cuz they have to take on a bunch of salaries)

They get some guys with hefty contracts, but Rice's contract is up fairly soon and they'll get 2 very, VERY good young guys. I would probably also give a future 1st round pick, though not the #15 because we'll need to bring in some guys with who we're losing.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Too bad we don't have a WolvezFan on the board to weigh in on this proposed trade.