1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here is the Formula for Houston to be a contender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Monkey7392, Jul 14, 2002.

1. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

You didn't read the thread at all, did you? :)

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Youre right. I will read the thread first.

I think we will average about 97 ppg.

I think we will give up about 93 ppg.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Hey Monkey with those minutes we would have to play 4 out of 5 games in overtime... but if you are correct than I think we have a better chance at getting your 129 ppg average... maybe you need to increase the minutes even more so that we average a triple overtime every game!;)

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't think Taylor and Rice are going to be non-starters if they are healthy. They have both earned their places on this team.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Doesn't work without injuries because you have an average of more than 52 minutes per position while 48 would be the max of the two players combined at that position.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not only would we score 129 points per game, but we would be second in the league in rebounds with 46!

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Think again! If its our Championship Year Its 2005 and Rice will be gone. Torres and Norris wont be good enough, we will have better back ups in their positions by then I hope. Our leader, the starting Point Guard, with so many competent scorers on his team must score less and should have more ASSISTS. IMHO.

8. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I think what the original post is saying is that, these players could easily average that number of points on another NBA team that needed that output.

This doesn't necessarily mean, that, this is what the Rockets are asking of them.

I think that Francis will average 17 pts with 8.5 assts.
    Mobley will average 18 pts
    Rice will average 11 pts.
    Taylor will average 12 pts. and 6 rebs.
    Cato will average 5 pts. and 7 rebs.

Norris will average 4 pts. and 4 assits.
    Nachbar will average 6 pts. and 3 rebs.
    Griffin will average 12 pts. and 6 rebs.
    Thomas will average 8 pts. and 5 rebs.
    Ming will average 9 pts. and 6 rebs.

I think that this will be the way this team will be the most effective. Francis has to concentrate on distributing the basketball. Mobley must concentrate more on defense. Rice, must shoot the ball with more accuracy. Taylor must make an effort to rebound with more concistency. Cato must concentrate on rebounding as well. Norris must move the offense more smoothly. Nachbar must play an all around game, that includes playing a motion offense. Griffin, must continue to develp. Thomas must play in the flow of the game. Ming must get a taste of the NBA before he can start taking it over.

Sure, if asked Steve could score 25 points a game easily, but that would not be the most effective, since he has the ability to dish out 10 assists per game as well. He is the point guard, not the shooting guard.

9. Yetti

Zacatacas : If you realy think Yao, Griffin and Nachbar will only average a total of 27 points then get rid of them right away and thg Rox Staff that made the mistake of drafting such duds!!
    They should average between 45- 55 pts a game IMHO. They are our future STARS

10. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

I don't like this thread at all because of one reason and one reason alone and this is the only reason I replied to it.......Where is Kenny Thomas in this little "formula"?? I went to a few games last season where he scored more points than anyone else on the team!........and he's not in the "formula"?? Let's think b4 we post.:mad: :rolleyes:

11. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Out of Yao, Griffin, and Nachbar it is very realistic to say they won't have great years just because they are in their first and second year. I don't see griffin averaging over 10 a game and I don't really see Yao or Nachbar being big parts on offense this year. They will be stars in the future but not their first year in the league.

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Actually, 27-35 ppg between the three sounds about right.

I don't see any of the three averaging 15 ppg(Maybe Griffin), much less all three of them.

13. MONON

MONON Member

Now let's see. If you add up the minutes, you get 261. At 48 minutes per game and 5 players on the court at a time, that means there are 240 minutes per team in a regulation game. We are playing 21 extra minutes a game. That means the Rockets are averaging 4+ overtimes each game. We are going to get our moneys worth this season!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

14. Yetti

vj23k :- You have such low expectations from our future stars. The only way they will perform so poorly is because Rudy hasn't adjusted the game for these players...ie:- Dribblemania and the CLUB ( Francis & Mobley ) continue their selfish ways of last season! If the game isn't changed into a Team Game then expect disaster in 02/03.

15. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Twelve man rotation:

C - Cato 20min, Ming 20mins EG 8min
    PF - Taylor 24, EG 18, Morris 6mins
    SF - Rice 20, Thomas 28
    PG - Francis 24, Moochie 18, Brown 6min
    SG - Mobley 30mins, Torres 12min, Francis 6mins

16. st.dub

st.dub Member

where's boki??

I think its fun and a time killer to make predictions.. I just hope that our team simply stays healthy. So take a deep breath and pray we stay healthy.. cuz if Rice or Mo-T go down again... regardless on what you think of em.. its gonna hurt this team. and add minutes on rookies who are probably not ready for a full brunt of the NBA season..

well here's my predictions:

PG: Franics: 29 mins 17ppg 9apg 6.5rpg 1.5spg 2.5tpg
    Norris: 14 mins 4ppg 3.5apg 1rpg .5spg 1.5tpg
    Brown: 5 mins 2.5ppg 1.8apg 1rpg .5spg 1tpg
    SG: Mobley: 35 mins 18ppg 1.3apg 2.5rpg .8spg 3.5tpg
    Francis: 8 mins same stats
    Brown: 5 mins same stats
    SF: Rice: 22 mins 8ppg 1apg 2rpg .3spg 1tpg
    Boki: 15 mins 7ppg 2apg 3rpg .5spg 3.5tpg
    T-mo: 6 mins 1.3ppg .3apg 1rpg .3spg .5tpg
    Griffen: 5 mins same stats
    PF: Mo-T: 28 mins 12 ppg .5apg 4.5rpg .3spg 2tpg .5bpg
    Griffen: 12 mins 10 ppg 1.5 apg 7rpg 1spg 3tpg 1bpg
    Kenny T: 18 mins 7.5ppg .3apg 5.5rpg .3spg 1.5tpg .5bpg
    C: Cato: 17 mins 4ppg .2apg 6.5rpg .3spg 2.5tpg 1.5bpg
    Ming: 25 mins 9.5ppg 3apg 7.5rpg .5spg 3tpg 1bpg
    Griffen: 8 mins same stats
    total:
    pointspg: 100.8 kinda high but possible
    assistspg: 24.4
    reboundspg: 48 well maybe I need to work on that stat some ;)
    stealspg: 6.8
    turnoverspg: 25.5 yikes! but we are notoriously known for High
    turnovers!
    blockspg: 4.5

ofcorse we'll give up to the tune of 98.9 or 99 ppg :) this is kinda fun. :D

#36 st.dub, Jul 15, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2002
  17. B

B Contributing Member

Actually do the math and it comes out to just under 1 overtime a game.

240 minutes in a regulation game and 261 in Monkey's post.

240/5 = 48 minutes in a regulation game
    261/5 = 52.2 minutes in a game
    Overtime = 5 minutes

82 games in a season
    52.2-48 = 4.2 extra minutes per game
    4.2/5.0 * 82 = 68.88 overtime periods this season

We haven't learned the skill of closing teams out if Monkey's numbers are right. :D

Geez, why can't it be time to leave work yet? :)

B

18. B

B Contributing Member

st.dub

252 player minutes per game
    252/5 - 48 = 2.4
    2.4/5 * 82 = 39.36 Overtime periods

Getting closer to something realistic. :)

B

19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about we play the hot hand and match up against the other team? Is that so hard? The minutes will work themselves out - just put your best chance to win on the floor.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Actually, my friend played an entire season of NBA Courside 2002 (going 82-0 and 15-0 in the playoffs). He had auto substitutions on, and the computer didn't bring Kenny Thomas in AT ALL during the regular season or the playoffs...not a single minute...

So, we really DON'T need Kenny Thomas. :)