1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here is someof what Rox fans posted elsewhere:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bobliu, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

DerekG - Jan 19, 2004 8:57 pm (#2559 of 2565)

I am convinced after this game that it's the guards fault for Yao's occasional struggles. Yeah, he drops a few passes and you can say that Yao needs to "want the ball" but this isn't unorganized streetball. The truth is that deep down a lot of players aren't naturally aggressive in asking for the ball, the only difference is that they have teammates and coaches that FORCE them the ball.

Working for post position is tiring as hell when you got a target on your back and if Mobley is just going to stand there, dribble and ignore him when he gets that position, Yao just isn't going to work for it anymore.

Pau Gasol, for example, is weak as hell when it comes to getting position, but Hubie Brown runs plays for him like a cross screen where he comes from the other side and a swingman sets a pick in the lane to get him good position. Van Gundy should try something like that for Yao instead of letting it be "every man for himself" style.

Basically, to sum it up, Yao(or any bigman with offensive skills) will work for the ball if he thinks there is a snowball's chance in hell of him getting it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phill23 - Jan 20, 2004 6:36 am (#2560 of 2565)

Well said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BB King - Jan 20, 2004 7:47 am (#2561 of 2565)

I don't understand what the hell is so hard about throwing a pass in Yao's vicinity in an area where his opposition cannot get to it. He's usually a good 6 or 7 inches (at least) taller than the guy that's guarding him. Getting the ball to him should be a no-brainer. Even Mark "Over the Hill" Jackson should know how to do this.

Redd Hizzy! - Jan 20, 2004 8:35 am (#2562 of 2565)

I saw three occasions last night where Cuttino had a guy free in the post (twice Yao, the other was Maurice Taylor) and he deliberately did NOT pass the ball and chose instead to take the ball into the lane for either a midrange jumper or a lay up. He missed all three.

It's infuriating.

Captain Dougus - Jan 20, 2004 8:36 am (#2563 of 2565)

Mobley sucks.

BB King - Jan 20, 2004 8:39 am (#2564 of 2565)

Well, all those years of Rudy ball aren't gonna go away over night. It takes time for these guys to unlearn all those bad habits. Only problem is that we Rocket fans are not a very patient lot. I have seen some flashes of good passing by Mobley this year but his problem is consistency. I guess his goal is to be the next World B. Free.

Captain Dougus - Jan 20, 2004 8:40 am (#2565 of 2565)

I don't understand why he thinks it's better for him to shoot than for Yao to shoot. I don't understand why it's so hard for these guys to pass the ball.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Whew... I'm glad you posted this thread. I mean if there is one thing we apparently lack here, it is Rocket fan posts, thoughts and perspective.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'm also disappointed in the dearth of guard bashing...

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

We certainly need more Mobley haters.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Are these a bunch of guys who like to come to CFnet but can't now because of closed admission?

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

either that or ESPN slobs or YMmania ones..

those are bush-league Mobes haters...if they are persistent, they may get called up to the majors once Clutch reopens registration...;)

9. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

10. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

None of the above ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.