1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

here is ANOTHER IDEA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Jun 12, 2018.

1. nemac

nemac Member

Dejavu thread. Glitch in matrix. LeBron imminent

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

This is totally new to me. Wow. All i've heard or read the past few seasons is "players can't be sign and traded anymore." Now you're telling me a player can be sign and traded if he doesn't sign any other teams offer sheet? So why then isn't that an option when talking LeBron? Cavs sign him for the max and trade him to wherever? Seems only opt in and trade is ever mentioned. Because it only works with RFA? This is just completely odd to me how this has slipped by me after so many comments and people directly telling me signing and trading players right away wasn't allowed anymore.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Sign and Trades never went away. Though the rules around them have been tightened up a bit.

If you acquire a player in a non-sign and trade deal then there's a waiting period before you can trade them. Maybe that's what you're thinking about.

4. aelliott

Disregarding the likelihood of either side actually doing that deal, it's not a legal trade.

Teams are not allowed to receive a player in a sign and trade deal if they would end up over the apron at the conclusion of the deal. In this case, Cleveland would be over the apron so they would not be allowed to receive a sign and traded Capela.

More realistically, if Lebron is leaving CLE, then they aren't going to want to take back any salary. Even without Lebron, they will be looking at a huge tax bill for a team that has no chance at contending.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

Bobsputin likes this.
  6. aelliott

You can sign and trade any of your free agents, restricted or not. Lebron can be sign and traded but that option isn't nearly beneficial to Houston as we'd have to dump much of our core in order to make it happen.

You are not allowed to receive a player in a sign and trade if you end up over the tax apron at the conclusion of the deal. In order to stay under the apron, Houston would have to renounce CP3's rights and dump a good portion of our core and we'd have to renounce our exceptions. Not sure that makes us better.

By going the opt-in route, you get to keep the Bird Rights on CP3, Capela and Ariza and you get to keep your MLE.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LOL, I thought that Yetti had left the BBS a loooooong time ago and yet I see not one but TWO threads of his in the GARM and they are equally mind numbingly terrible. Yes, everyone would be happy with this trade, especially the Rockets for finding a sucker, I mean taker for Ryan Anderson. I mean what is Cleveland waiting for - why they are not jumping on this proposal??

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

op is a genius, should go apply for Knicks gm job.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

THIS