1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here comes the helicopter, 2nd time today.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<a HREF="http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/sanction/yugos.htm">US Fails to Get Firmer Yugoslav Sanctions (1998)</a>

<a HREF="http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N15443124.htm">China threatens to veto UN Darfur draft-diplomats (2004)</a>

The US took the satellite photos and various NGOs have put out numerous reports on the situation.....the OIC, China and others just don't want to <i>see</i> the evidence.

If the various UN member countries were 5 year old children, then I would give credence to the potential of shaming them.

<hr color=blue>

I am using past UN <i>events</i> as indicators of what is likely in the Sudan situation. You have a more optimistic viewpoint and we will likely continue to disagree. Continuing this dialog won't change my viewpoint and your viewpoint seems constant despite the documentation I provide.

Have a nice day.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw your information on the satellite photos, and the documentation. I do agree that this alone won't change their mind, because they know that we aren't committed enough to take follow up action. I'm agreeing with you that we have done more than other nations, and that these other nations are flat out denying the truth.

But I'm talking about showing the evidence as only a part of the plan. Again taking Iraq as an example, we offered aid packages, debt forgiveness etc. to countries that would join us in our effort. I would say we do the same again with these nations as well as provide the threat of aid removal, sanctions etc. against countries like China, and others who stand in the way of human rights.