1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here are some of the blatant holding screens the Warriors are getting away with...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 21, 2015.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If they can get away with it then so should we! We can either learn and take some from their playbook or just complain. The Warriors are not that much better than us. What they have is Kerr who is teaching them both the 90's Bulls tricks and Spurs. Get with todays' game or watch us dwindle away. No excuses just realize if they can do this then so can we. We have the Bodies to create some nice "moving screens". Let's do it.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

JVG called it a brush screen when GSW shoves one defender into another if off ball. He didn't act like it was illegal but have never seen legal screens where you can use your hands.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

how come vines never work for me, i have to go to the link to watch. dwight does moving picks, just like everyone esle. from the replies they're probably not that bad.

4. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

They're all pretty bad, but that last one was horrible. Green collapsed like he got punched in the face and dragged Trevor down with him. Awful.

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Green flopped like 3-4 times in game 2 lmao

6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

The 2nd video is not clean. Pay closely attention to Lee. He stuck his butt out for just like half a second.

7. archinkent

archinkent Member

Bogut is known for these though. It just never gets called since he acts like he gets fouled when he sets these moving screens.

8. Flop

Flop Member

I think ESPN got the memo. They called the game much more objectively in game 1. I remember an instance where Breen said and out of bounds on Brewer when it clearly went out on the Warriors and the refs signaled it the other way. He was like that all night whereas in game one he called it the way he saw it from where he was sitting. They were very hesitant to show replays including the last one which determined the game.

Also, why would NBA TV get a former official to sit down and complain about a few bad calls the officials made in favor of the Rockets. I didn't watch more than the first play of that video because they were wrong on the first play, but it seemed like they were doing damage control.

But that doesn't mean I couldn't make a 15 minute video if I wanted to. Not saying I will either.

9. Flop

Flop Member

In all of the NBA games I've watched over the years, I have never seen anyone run in front of someone and set a screen like with their butt. It goes against the very definition of setting a screen which says your feet have to be square, you must be stationary and you cannot stick anything out beyond your shoulders. This means feet, arms, and hips.

I guess we can stop asking how did the Warriors get so good in just one season with the same roster that got bounced out in the first round last year by the Clippers.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was only one moving screen, and one take out screen at the end. Otherwise you're not going to get those calls. Sorry guys.

Rockets get away with the same stuff in my opinion.

11. conquistador#11

love how bogut extends his arms. =/

12. conquistador#11

oh and it be one thing if they allowed both teams to do it. remember last year, asik doesn't even do it intentionally as bogut and gets called for an illegal screen, nulling a lin 3 that would have put up 4 points.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

we need to stop raising our arms and shielding our balls and start putting our arms like we want to dance.

14. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

You can't blame switching on them not calling the foul. A moving screen is a moving screen, doesn't matter who is being screened. Excuses for bad officiating. Sure you can blame it if it was let go sometimes, but not so consistently as the Warriors get away with it.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If you can get away with it, then you're going to continue to do it. The ref's have scouted this team all year. So they know it's their brand of ball, so they are not going to call that nonsense in the Playoff's. We just have to find away to beat a 8 on 5 press.

16. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

If there is any semblance of the game being called objectively, then I am completely convinced that it has EVERYTHING to do with JVG.

17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

this GSW screen that includes an armlock is the equivalent to LMA's push off last year. refs aren't going to call it.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A couple of the screens bother me, but not all of them. If it is a bother, it's just in the sense that the Rockets should be better at it, too. I wonder if/how they practice screen setting. I can't think of many teams in the league that use screens that effectively... but it's not because of being illegal... sure, they are borderline... but more just good, solid screens up to the point they won't be called. Every team should be doing the same.

IF I'm complaining about the refs, it's the OBVIOUS over the back on Green, and the OBVIOUS ball that went out of bounds on the Warriors around the 4 min mark. Refs have to call the clear fouls.

The more interesting thing here is how the Rockets defend it. Reluctant to make a ton of defensive changes, since they held them in check...

BUT, the idea of doing more hard doubles intrigues me. ESPECIALLY when Bogut is setting the pick. Hard doubles were scary last round because CP3 could deliver the perfect path to Griffin, then watch out. Here, I don't trust Klay to make the perfect pass as much, and Curry isn't quite as good as CP3 in that regard... but more to the point, so they pass it to Bogut at 15-20 feet. Ok. That's WAY more preferable then an open Curry/Klay look. You do have to be careful about your rotations and Bogut's passing.

JVG said it best. Give them a bunch of different looks. But that's easier said then done. Because all 5 men need to know how it's being defended on a given play.

19. Man

Man Contributing Member

Some issues with the screens to me, though... they have their arms up and are using them to help push or hold defenders. I don't get how the refs are allowing that much use of the arms and hands on picks... Bogut and Draymond are literally running into guys and basically block tackling them and then grabbing/holding them.

What I see with our picks is a standard stand still and hold ground... we do anything otherwise, we'll get called for it. Yes, sometimes our guys are not set and moving as much. Still not at the same level or to the same extent of what they're doing.

JVG would have been able to get the defense in that way... for us to even contest the shots and have help defense against such a fast-paced offense is an accomplishment for our team, I think. I did like the trap on Curry; he's too small to pass out of it. My guess is they'll get him a good angle for a quick pass out and someone getting open for a good cut to the basket or easy corner shot.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Dem grappling screens