1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here are some of the blatant holding screens the Warriors are getting away with...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 21, 2015.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we should be running into those moving picks like a bulldozer everytime and force the refs to call something…..force the announcers to explain what's going on live on the air

2. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

We can copy these tactics and make it part of our system.

3. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

most of those look okay to me. bogut's look worse because we're running into him so he looks like he's holding us.

curry's holds are the most blatant.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Then the Warriors players will fall down and flop and the Rockets will get called for a foul.

Jason Terry tried that on Ezeli and got called for the foul.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I believe Terry did that last game. I believe Green picked him in the paint and he fell into Ezeli and wrapped his arms up, drawing an offensive foul on GS. I agree. Someone needs to get decked.

These screens are what started the Ariza "Cheap Shot." Can someone make a gif of that Curry moving screen? It must have been dirty.

Edit--Ah I forgot Terry got called for a foul on that play. Haha.

6. brooksstephens

Bogut is a master at moving on the screen and making it look like he just happened to be standing there. He's really good at it.. and it's very illegal.

Everyone else has no shame at all. They use their arms/hands to push and hold every time. It should be an automatic whistle if your arms come out away from your body while setting a screen.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Only the first bogut one and the last Green one were bad. The others won't really get called because they're actually pretty common. Players grab and hold all the time. No different than Dwight pushing guys in the back, when they go up to contest a shot. Warriors probably have to do a lot more of it because of their lack of size and probably get away with it more because of that as well. Nash did it too. I'm sure i remember Kerr playing that way...and Stockton.

8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Simple fix, Rockets need to start flopping A LOT. If they're just going to impede or even tackle our players like that then make sure the ref sees it.

9. bmd

bmd Member

They don't get called because the refs seem to only make the call when a guy falls down.

But a guy being held so that he can't get to his man hurts the defense just as much as when a guy falls.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That second one, Curry just flat ran into Ariza. I've seen a lot less movement than that routinely get a call.

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Another thing Curry gets away with A LOT is pushing off to free himself up. Go back and look at the play he got fined for flopping and you'll see he pushed Corey Brewer to get himself wide open. To be fair, plenty of superstars push off, but he does it as much as anyone, including Lebron.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Problem is . .. the Screener cannot initiate the contact . . . .am I right in this?

Rocket River

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

my point is, they have to pick what they call. If they called everything, then it wouldn't be good. Because this is the Warriors' "style" they have to let it go, or else they'll be calling them for everything. it's like when a team comes out and establishes a physical style, they'll get away with more.

Rockets just have to find a way to expose it more and also fight fire with fire. i'm sure the Warriors will get called for it more tonight though... the calls are going to shift like always.

14. bmd

bmd Member

Correct. The screener has to be "set". He can't slide in the way of someone or stick his ass out, or grab a player, or anything.

He has to be basically standing there like he's taking a charge.

Now, I understand that rarely does that happen, but usually guys might stick a hip out a little bit to kind of bump the player... but that's about it.

What Bogut and Curry are doing is way against the rules, and it's the exact reason the "moving screen" rule is in place... so that you can't act like an NFL blocker.

15. bmd

bmd Member

Some coaches use that to their advantage. They'll do it on every play, and because the referee is reluctant to blow the whistle on the same thing over and over and over again, he'll let it go.

The team is banking on the referee not daring to keep calling them on it.

Doesn't make it any less against the rules.

16. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It doesn't, but that's the NBA. Can't dwell on that, much like flopping. Rockets break the rules too.. Gotta find a way to work around.

18. rocketsmetalspd

Refs choosing not to see this is bad for the Rockets. Can't bust through the picks because of foul being call but need to put someone down as least once like I hate to say it, what Fisher did to Scola one playoff year.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would just tell the refs -- hey refs they keep holding and moving on screens you aren't calling any of them, the next time they do it and its not called I am going to blow someone up on that screen so at least a foul is called. If anyone gets hurts its on you for allow them to run these illegal plays.

Warn the refs about you going to flagrantly foul a guy hard the next time it happens and then something will be called.

Of course when I say "I would" I mean the only player I want saying and actually doing this is Joey Dorsey

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yeah, cause you have an untrained eye and don't really know the rules. You have been trained to say "it's acceptable" but all illegal. If the Warriors win, I just want it to be fair. I'm spending my precious time to be a fan and I want to be able to enjoy the winning or loosing. Not all the antics they use to get these assholes uncontested shots. If we cannot defend the perimeter because we're getting screened illegally, we are toast.