1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Henson - per Columbus Radio Station

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 4chuckie, Aug 29, 2003.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're 0 for 1 so far re: Henson....

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

And they finally got confirmation. Thats all it meant.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it's not. but it's a higher probability than a team that's picking late finding an impact player in rounds 4-7.

it's absolutely a roll of the dice, but one i think a talented team can afford to take. if i were a GM of a team locked, loaded and ready for the playoffs, and had an aging QB to boot, i would've snagged henson in round 4. and wouldn't have thought twice about it.

if he sticks with baseball, oh well. i likely would've drafted a guy who had a less than 50/50 chance of making my team, anyway, so... what's lost? the probability that in 2004, i'll have nothing to show for my round 4 or 5 pick is extremely high, either way, so why not take a chance on henson?

the reward is exponentially greater.

i never said drafting henson came risk-free. i just don't value picks in rounds 4-7. these guys say a lot of things, btw. in fact, i'm fairly certain he made a committment to play football for four years at michigan...

i understand the difference. it's a point of relativity. if mcgahee and his injury is still worth a first round pick... knowing full-well you're gonna have to pay him first round money with little-to-no idea what, exactly, you're ever going to get from him... then by comparison, shouldn't henson be worth more than a sixth round pick?

at the end of the day, both have to rate as question marks for 2004 and beyond. yes, you get to retain mcgahee's rights, but the trade-off is the structure of his contract, making it a relevant comparison, imo.

perhaps when you're still drafting for value. but i'm not arguing he should've been a first round pick; i'm arguing if teams truly thought he was the franchise player you guys seem to think, then taking him late in round 4 or 5 is, again imo, a no-brainer.

look at the hollings situation -- injured knee, little experience, and the guy goes in round 2 of a supplemental draft. personally, that's the kind of "out there" thinking i want from my GM. hell, casserly nabbing henson in round 6 was a stroke of genius.

we're either dealing with a guy teams aren't that enamored with or a group of GMs with no balls.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

you mean like drew bledsoe?