1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Henson - per Columbus Radio Station

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 4chuckie, Aug 29, 2003.

1. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Stanford Cardinal quarterback who left football, I believe after the 1999 season, to play baseball. He's with the White Sox now.

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Rumored teams with interest are Dallas and Oakland

3. Timing

Timing Member

Where's Mike Ditka when you need him? :)

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

4 or 5? Again, when you're talking about the top QB prospect, peoples opinions of being "set" changes. Even if you are "set" for now, will you be "set" in 2 years when Henson is ready?

Look at the Jets, their QB situation this time last year was thoroughly murky, then all of a sudden, pennington comes on, and they are "set." Now, one preseason hit and he's out for the season. Are they "set" for the future anymore? I don't know.

I'm not saying the jets fork over a first rounder for Henson or even want him at all, I'm saying that things change quickly in the NFL. You're never really "set" at all.

Hell, even if it is 4 or 5 teams, again, for you guys to be right, all 4 teams have to decide he's not worth a first, I only need one to decide to in order to be right.

I'm not making a football argument, I'm making a behavioral economics argument. I like my odds better than yours.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oakland Trades
    Tampa Bay 2nd rounder
    Al Davis' personal manservant

Houston Trades
    Drew Henson

Good trade here, Tuiasosopo sucks, Raiders have just now realized this. Plus the Theory that any player drafted from the Gruden Blood Money Trade will tear up the world. So your pick will kick a majority of asses.

my work here is done.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

fyi, on fox sports sw, they said don't expect a deal to be worked out until march 1st. I think they were refering to him being traded as opposed to him signing. I know it isn't the most solid info, but still, that's the first time I've heard any kind of date regarding this.

It would make sense, as I would think teams would be willing to part with more when they're trying to retool their rosters in the offseason. But still, I was hoping this situation would get resolved soon, as I'm interested but would rather not have to wait forever to see how it plays out.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I agree March 1st seems right. If a team trades for him, then they have to use a roster spot for him this year. Look around the league there are several teams only carrying 2 QBs for the fact they need every roster spot available.
    A trade would be much more possible if a team could trade for him and assign him to the practice squad (but he wouldn't clear waivers), but I don't think too many teams would waste a roster spot on a guy who hasn't taken a snap in a few years, especially since he will have missed all of training camp.

Again it was a brilliant pick by you guys, but it may be one that sits out there until the off-season. But either ways getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 6th is a great move!

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

homerism is always rampant.

one thing that is lost in all this is that Texans fans should be ecstatic if Casserley turns a 6th-round pick into a 3rd-round pick.

yes, IF the apocalypse of the world begins and he gets a 1st, that's good reason to become delirious.

but even a 3rd should still merit ecstasy.

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

As a Texans fan, if we received a 3rd round pick, why not keep Henson and trade Ragone who was also a 3rd round pick.

1. Henson was a higher rated QB prospect in college
    2. Henson is younger than Ragone.
    3. Henson hasn't taken the physical beating that Carr has. If anything happens to Carr, Henson would be an ideal candidiate to either replace Carr or be traded later.

The only downside would be if it became a distraction in the locker room.

However, if David Carr is all he's cracked up to be (physically and mentally tough), he should thrive in the siutation.

Realistically it won't happen. However, if you think about it, if someone offered you Drew Henson or Dave Ragone right now, who would pick Dave Ragone?

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Well if you don't mind paying your backup like a starter then it would work! :)

Henson will be looking for 1st round money I would guess. He's not going to leave all that money sitting on the table and take compensation as a 3rd round pick.

Again it's an option for the Texans but I wouldn't guess they would want to shell out big bucks for a 2nd-3rd string QB.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Teams know importance of backup QBs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Midway through a conference call last Sunday afternoon, one in which Herm Edwards was detailing to the media the wrist injury suffered by quarterback Chad Pennington and how the New York Jets might deal with it, the coach was asked if he was "bummed" by the specter of playing without his emerging star for the next three months.

Chad Pennington suffered a fractured and dislocated wrist in a preseason game.
    The question, sophomoric in both nature and tone, was meant to elicit a radio sound bite from the Jets' classy coach. Instead, his reply was biting, offered tersely and with an undeniable level of exasperation.

"I've still got a quarterback, right?" responded Edwards. "What am I bummed about?"

Whether the Jets coach was simply posturing -- trying to buck up the confidence of his wounded team, professing publicly his faith in new/old starter Vinny Testaverde, or just attempting to convince himself he wasn't already facing a season on the brink -- really is immaterial. The fact is, Edwards was right, and righteously indignant at the suggestion he was in a funk over Pennington's serious injury.

At age 39, and in his 17th season, Testaverde certainly has entered his football dotage. Were he the same player he was even two or three years ago, Testaverde would not have been yanked from the starting lineup after four games last season, and the Pennington Era would not yet have dawned. But his resume includes 182 starts, nearly 40,000 yards, 244 touchdown passes, and more snappy comebacks than Henny Youngman.

"Hey, you never want to lose your starter, right?" said Jets wide receiver Santana Moss. "But we've got great faith in Vinny. It's not like it's the end of the world or something."

Indeed, it's when a franchise doesn't have a viable No. 2 quarterback that things can be apocalyptic.

Witness the Miami Dolphins of 2002, a team that featured the NFL's rushing champion and third-ranked defense, but which finished out of the playoffs, in part because backup Ray Lucas won only two of six starts when Jay Fiedler was out of the lineup. It's little wonder the Dolphins added an insurance policy against such second-string meltdowns, by signing former Denver Broncos starter Brian Griese, in the offseason.

Conversely, the Jets won the AFC East because they unearthed Pennington, a former No. 1 draft choice who had played sparingly his first two seasons in the league. Not even the most optimistic New York official could have predicted that Pennington would lead the NFL in passing but, when Testaverde was benched, the former Marshall star blossomed.

Want more from just the '02 season alone? Pittsburgh rode itinerant Tommy Maddox, who began the year as the backup to Kordell Stewart, to the AFC North championship. When starter Donovan McNabb was sidelined by a broken ankle, Koy Detmer and A.J. Feeley rallied the Philadelphia Eagles to a 5-1 stretch-run record in his absence. Atlanta began an eight-game unbeaten streak with a victory over the New York Giants that was engineered by backup Doug Johnson, who will now replace the injured Michael Vick for the first month of this season.

In 2002, just 14 quarterbacks started all 16 games for their respective teams, and that was actually an increase over the past several seasons. For the last four seasons, the NFL has averaged 54.5 different starters, and franchises can no longer count on much stability at the game's most critical position. In that period, there were four different teams forced to use four different starting quarterbacks. Also during that time, approximately 15 percent of the victories recorded in the league were posted by backup quarterbacks.

The winning quarterbacks in three of the last four Super Bowl contests -- Kurt Warner of St. Louis, Baltimore's Trent Dilfer and Tom Brady of New England -- went into training camp in those championship years as backups.

And the quarterback carousel is already in full swing in 2003. Because of injuries or just ineptitude, five franchises will open the season next weekend with No. 1 quarterbacks who were not projected to be starters when training camps opened seven weeks ago. The summer featured some of the more compelling quarterback derbies of the past few years.

“ You're just naïve, or deluded, if you think you can get by anymore with just one guy. It doesn't happen that way. You'd better have someone in whom you've got faith, that you feel very comfortable with, and that you know can go in and perform. If you don't have someone like that, then you're playing with fire, and eventually you're going to get burned. ”
    — Andy Reid, Eagles coach

"You're just naïve, or deluded, if you think you can get by anymore with just one guy," acknowledged Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid. "It doesn't happen that way. You'd better have someone in whom you've got faith, that you feel very comfortable with, and that you know can go in and perform. If you don't have someone like that, then you're playing with fire, and eventually you're going to get burned."

That kind of mindset resonates throughout the league now but, in fact, it wasn't that long ago that some coaches preferred to have a backup quarterback who simply knew his role, was happy to collect a paycheck for holding the clipboard, and didn't threaten the starter. More recently, teams have raised the financial ante for backup quarterbacks, and coaches don't mind nearly as much having their starters pushed a bit by the guy behind them.

Indeed, on Friday afternoon, the San Francisco 49ers rewarded backup Tim Rattay with a three-year contract extension worth $4.8 million. Although he has yet to start in a regular-season game, Rattay is valued by the 49ers, and they didn't want him exiting after the '03 season as an unrestricted free agent.

So now, while San Francisco officials will still spend '03 worrying about the balky back of starter Jeff Garcia, they don't have to fret of the future of his backup. "We just didn't want to have to start over again with someone else next year," said 49ers general manager Terry Donahue. "We know what we've got with Jeff."

Which is not to say that every team understands precisely what it is getting with its No. 2 quarterback. Certainly in 2001, New England coaches could not have known Brady would have played so well, after he replaced the injured Drew Bledsoe. St. Louis thought so little of Warner's potential that they exposed him in the expansion draft that helped to stock the Houston Texans franchise. Feeley was the most unknown of commodities less than a year ago but now it would require a high-round draft choice to pry him away from the Eagles. The Falcons have tried, unsuccessfully to this point, to lure Johnson into a long-term contract extension.

Once viewed with only a modicum of respect, viable backup quarterbacks have become a pretty hot commodity in the league, and their value figures to continue increasing. The era of the indestructible starter, with apologies to iron man Brett Favre, has gone the way of the single-wing.

When a coach is forced to go to the bullpen now, he wants the comfort of knowing there is a backup there who can throw strikes.

"You want some security, some peace of mind, at the No. 2 (quarterback) position," said Carolina coach John Fox. "It's become a very critical position."

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If Henson is looking for 1st round money and some team is willing to pay that, then why would we trade him for a 3rd round pick.

Once again, we get back to that.

Why would anyone take Drew Henson? Because they see him as a starting QB for the future and potential superstar.

Why did we take Dave Ragone? As an insurance policy for David Carr.

Why are these 2 worth the same?

If they're not worth the same, I say make the best trade possible and if it's not at least a first round or high second rounder, sign Henson and trade Ragone for whatever you can get.

You never know about injuries.

A 6th round pick turned into a 3rd round pick is great.

Getting a QB with enormous upside and limited physical wear and tear for a 6th round pick is even better.

Whoever takes Henson knows it'll take at least 2 years for him to develop. You never know what will happen in two years.

13. SamFisher

Dredging up my old argument as to how two good/great defensive backs = one great quarterback, and that safeties are about the most replaceable position on the football field, I give you Exhibit A: the Patriots released 29-year old, 4 time Pro-Bowl Safety Lawyer Milloy this weekend.

Granted, it was a cap casualty, but that wouldn't have happened had he been a 29 year old 4 time Pro Bowl QB.

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Riet-
    Your logic is correct but with Ragone you have an insurance policy for a limited signing bonus and probably $1M/year for 3 years (I'm not up to date on 3rd rounders salaries/bonuses)
    For Henson you have an insurance policy which will cost you triple that over 3 years.

I guess it's how much insurance you want (can afford). If you're willing to have a $3M/year backup for 3 years Henson may be an option. However Ragone will cost you much less plus he already understands the offense (by being in camp) and I would say would be a better player this season.

Personally if the Texans plan on signing Henson I say keep Ragone as your #2 this year and see what Henson can do on the scout team. Henson could still net you a good draft pick next off-season just based on potential, but again you have to weight paying a guy $3M (who hasn't played in 2+ years) to be a backup and if that's worth it.

Plus it would seem odd to have that much money invested in 2 young QBs. Would be similar to Dallas having both Aikman and Walsh when they were both very young.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I doubt Henson would sign to be the backup to Carr. He'd probly only sign if there was a trade worked out to go to a team he was okay with. Otherwise he might as well just re-enter the draft.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Agreed. He only signs with us so that he can go to any team he wants. It's a mutual agreement. He's lucky the Texans drafted him to be honest. He has a little more control over his life and the money. It's a perfect situation all the way around.

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I agree.

However, Henson would also probably rather re-enter the draft than take 3rd money. That means whatever team we negotiate with would have to pony up 1st round cash.

And if he's getting paid 1st round money, we should get higher than a 3rd round pick unless Henson forces our hand and demands to be traded to a specific team. But in this scenario, he could lose too because you just don't know where you would end in the draft pool.

There are a lot of variables but we're sitting in a real good position.

Casserly is a tough negotiator and Im sure he'll play at least 2 or 3 teams against each other and get the maxmimum for this pick.

Id be disappointed if we got anything less than a first round pick for a signed, sealed and delivered Drew Henson.

18. SamFisher

The ESPN report states that re-entering the draft is "unlikely" at this point, I don't think he can get, nor can any team give, first round money, I think he's going to get some wierd contract with roster bonuses and other incentives.

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I thought if we sign him after the season he goes into the 2004 Rookie cap which would mean we could negotiate with another team, sign him, and then trade him.

20. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Prepare to be disappointed.