1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HELP!!!!!! XBOX or PS2.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by j-bone, Nov 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. j-bone

j-bone Member

I'm getting ready to go purchase a game system in a couple of days and I would like you guy's opinions on which one I should get. I'm leaning towards the XBOX right now, but I want to make sure before I spill out $299.99. Please help.

2. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want my advice - I got both the PS2 and XBOX.

In my opinion the XBOX is much better...

3. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Damn spoiled rich boy. ;)

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have a PS2 and it wroks fine , Just one thing , DONT MESS with the DVD settings unless you knw what the heck your doing . And sometimes My DVD's wont play so I just take a crappy CD and put it upside down over the DVD and it seems to work , other then that everything is fine . I only played an Xbox once at Toys R Us , It seemed pretty nice , I wont buy them both But I wouldnt midn as XBox . Flip a coin .

5. j-bone

j-bone Member

I haven't did much research on them but do the XBOX have more features or basically the same as PS2?

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

jbone- i too am getting ready to buy a system. And after much deliberation, Im going with the Ps2.

Xbox- twice as powerful, games have the potential of looking much nicer graphics wise than PS2 games. However, it doesnt have much to offer in terms of games. Halo is only good if you like first person shooters, and I dont.

PS2- not as powerful, but an incredible game library. after i buy mine, im getting the following games to start it off:
    Madden NFL 2002
    College Football 2002 *
    Metal Gear Solid 2 *
    Baldur's Gate *
    Final Fantasy X *
    Gran Turismo 3

* not available on XBOX.

You make the decision.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Arggggghhhhh... No love for the Gamecube... :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Nomar

Nomar Member

sorry. Gamecube totally sucks. Its games suck, but its not as powerful as XBox. So what advantage does it have. And it doesnt have a DVD player either. All around piece of crap system.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If you think the Xbox game library will stay weak forever....muhahahahahaha :)

Right now I can live with a weak game selection. PS2 has had a year to build up its game library. If you want a powerful system, go with Xbox. It's no TurboGraphix 16 or Atari Jaguar. Microsoft put in too much money and has signed agreements with too many developers to fall flat on its face.

Both PS2 and Xbox have agreements with EA Sports. I played NBA Live 2002 on both systems, and damn Xbox kicks its ***. Of course it should. Xbox is newer.

10. Nomar

Nomar Member

Name some cool games coming out in the future for Xbox Smokey. From what Ive read in the past, youre a ridiculously biased Xbox supporter, probably because you desperately want to be happy in your choice.

Even though EA signed a contract with Xbox, College Football is still only on PS2.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I say you can't go wrong with Xbox nor PS2...of course, gamecube is outta the question.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't know what games you consider cool (sports, rpg, shooters etc...).

If you wanna look through the Xbox future releases visit http://xbox.ign.com

I don't really care what system you get whether GameCube, PS2, or Xbox. I'm just saying that in comparison you get a lot of games with PS2 right now but in the future Xbox is going to catch up. If you like games exclusively on PS2 then go with the PS2. I went with the more powerful system.

btw, look for College Football 2003 on Xbox next August.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Im having the same damn problem myself. Currently I have a PS1 and 9 games, so it would be nice if I could salvage some of the games that I have spent money on, then sell the damn thing on e-bay. If you have a PS1 then I guess it makes sense to get a PS2 since all of the games are compatible.

I wonder if there will be a price break after Christmas????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Nice sig Smokey

lol :D

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I already have a Playstation, but yesterday I bought another one with two games: Castlevania-Symphony of the Night(a very rare game) and Resident Evil-Survivor for $60. I put the system only up for auction on eBay with a "buy it now" option for $65 and already sold it. I'll probably try and sell Resident Evil on Half.com.

16. j-bone

j-bone Member

I love the graphics of the xbox and agrre that the variety of games will catch up with ps2 pretty soon. By the way, I love sports type games with a little adventure. Do xbox have nbalive 2002 and how is it compared to nba2k2?

17. red

red Contributing Member

ps2 rocks...but i just got a gamecube and rogue squadron...sweetness...

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The Gaycube will be all Pokemon and Mario stuff.

Personally, I hate that stuff and outgrew it years ago.

:mad:

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's funny how everyone underestimates the Gamecube. But, having purchased one, and having played them both side by side in the store, I can say that the graphics look pretty much the same. So then we are talking about gameplay. You can call Pokemon gay, and, I wont be buying it, but games like Luigi's Castle, the future Mario Game, Super Smash Bros, etc, are very very fun. I guarantee you that if you get a group of friends together and play all aspects of Super Monkey Ball, which also looks childish, you will have a good time. But, what about the more mature games you say. Nintendo, apparantly contrary to the belief of everyone on this board, also has those games. Rogue Squadron is amazing, I'd be willing to put money down right now that says the next installment of Perfect Dark will be just as good, if not beter, than both Halo and MGS2, and Nintendo also has mature games of its own in the great looking upcoming Metroid as well as exclusive rights to Resident Evil.

I hate being a Nintendo spokesperson...I don't care which system you buy, but discounting it as a good system cause you are too cool to play some of the really fun, yet childish looking, games, is dumb. I mean, it is apparantly the fastest selling console ever now with Luigi's Mansion as the fastest selling game ever, and remember the economy wasnt doing nearly as bad last year when PS2 came out.

To get to the point of this thread though, you are deciding between Xbox and PS2. Having played them all (although Xbox only a bit), I can say there definitely seems to be a good deal of graphical and sound improvement over the PS2 on the new consoles. Plus, the specs on the Xbox are fabulous. But will that transalte into continued success and good games. I think it will, but you never know. As of now, the only Xbox game that everyone agrees is awesome is Halo, whereas PS2 already has a solid library with a lot of quality games (does anybody know why the Xbox is pushing Munch's Oddyssey so much...it doesnt look great). Plus, I dont think there are any accessories in order to get the DVD on PS2 to work. And, Ive heard the Xbox controller takes some getting used to (once again, I dont want to be the Gamecube sell monkey here, but its controller is very comfortable and works great).

Personally, I'd go with Nintendo:), but given your two choices I'd still probably get the Xbox.

20. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

Certain drawbacks to the systems

X-box is a great system BUT not every dvd will play on the x-box
    Playstation 2 is a great system too but not every dvd movie will play on the system...The adds are misleading and someone needs to let the maker know this. Although their is a driver upgrade for the PS2 it still will not play all movies right.
    X-box so far has no update drivers...yet.

No offense to the gamers out their but honestly do we need a dvd player in our game system? my opinion NO .

Now the gamecube it might look like all mario and pokemon but its not I have all 3 systems and Starwars Rogue leader is very damn good for the game cube I have seen alot of games being made for gamecube as well and they look very good.
    so heres the breakdown
    PS2 plays the older games so you got 3 advantages but I recently found out when playing midevil2 you need a regular memory card to save for the old PS games.

X-box great unit but microsoft screwed the consumer by having to purchase the remote to make the dvd part work and the remote does not have an off and on switch.
    But graphics are superb and playability is excellent

Gamecube soley set on th N64 fans but with tighter graphics and promises of better games you will see alot of resident evil games made for this puppy.
    Check out this site for lots of current and up to date info!
    http://www.ign.com